PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on upcoming Wildflower Workshop and New Camera

KimH
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 15:13
I would really appreciate some advice on what gear I need to bring or replace for an upcoming Wildflower workshop here in Arizona. I recently upgraded to the 50D and am not sure if my flash is compatible. Here is a list of my current gear.
Canon 50D
420 EX Speedlite
Manfrotto by Bogen 3001N Tripod with 3047 Head
EF 50mm Macro F1:2.5
EF 70-300 mm F4-5:6 IS USM
EF 75-300mm F1-4:5.6 III
EF 28135mm F 3-5.6 IS USM
Quantaray 2X Teleconverter
72 mm Circular Polarizer with step up ring for smaller lens.

How many cards should I bring? Do I need to purchase a second battery? Any advice appreciated!

Pete
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 15:19
You probably won't need extra cards or a battery, it's only going to be the one day (although you don't say what capacity your current card(s) have).

I'm pretty sure that the flash will be compatible and you'll most probably make good use out of it.

Personally, I'd take everything if your bag can carry it. Since you're going to a workshop, there's going to be someone there who can guide you on a practical level. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

KimH
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 15:20
Thanks Pete! I have a 4g and a 2g card.

Pete
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 15:22
Those should be plenty for you. The main aim of these kinds of workshops is to learn about technique and get some nice photos. If you spend too much time taking hundreds of shots, you may miss the learning.

I hope you have a great time at the workshop and look forward to seeing your results.

And a warm welcome to POTN.

KimH
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 15:25
Thanks! I am planning to buy a cable release any other suggestions on "goodies" I should bring?

KimH
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 15:55
I have an urge to stimulate the economy! Must buy something :)

Pete
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 15:58
And off-camera cord for the flash might be an idea. Maybe also a reflector.

Also look at what equipment the leader and other participants are using. If you strike up a good rapport, then maybe you'll be able to play with or borrow some equipment for a short period in the day.

KimH
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 16:07
I think I need a diffuser too...any suggestions? I am really looking forward to this workshop and becoming familiar with my new camera. Thanks for the great ideas Pete! Your advice is very appreciated.

ralff
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 16:39
Buy a second battery....cheap insurance, would be a real waste to run out of juice in the middle of the day. I use live view a bit when shooting macro and my 50D eats em up in live view. JMO

KimH
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 20:16
Thanks I think I will do that too. I have been considering it for a while. I am sure the time will come eventually when I need it.