PDA

View Full Version : Skywatcher telescope / mount issue

Michael_Lambert
3rd of March 2009 (Tue), 20:47
Hey guys,

So i have the Skywatcher 127, and just picked up a Skywatcher Az mount but i have no way to actually mout the two.. i mean there seems to be holes in the mount and threads on the dove tail, but nothing came with anything to actually screw in. the Az mount came with tools but no neeed for them as i can see.

Any help would be great if anyone is using one.

Adrena1in
5th of March 2009 (Thu), 03:52
I'm finding this sort of thing quite a bit. I have an EQ5 mount, and bought a Dovetail fixing to enable me to mount my scope and slide it back and forth to get the balance right. No way to attach the dovetail to my mount, and hardly any travel in the dovetail itself anyway. Then I bought a 70mm APO and the retailer said it'll fit straight onto my mount. Nope, the holes don't line up with anything!

Luckily, after a little filing, the APO *does* fit onto the dovetail, and then with a bit of bodging and driling I got the dovetail finally attached to the mount. It might just be me buying non-standard bits from here, there and everywhere, but I'd be interested to know if a fair amount of DIY is common with regards to mounts and scopes and stuff.

Hope you get your setup sorted. Might have to buy some drill tips and a tapping set, like me! ;)

chris.bailey
5th of March 2009 (Thu), 05:40
Sorry but which AZ mount (according to the Skywatcher site they make 4).

If this one http://www.skywatcherusa.com/az4-neq5-mount-tripod-steel.html then it has a female dovetail slot on the mount. Your dovetail bar should be mounted to the OTA using tube rings if there are not suitable holes on the scope for connecting it direct. I would not drill and tap an OTA but I know others who have.

On the EQ5 the head of the mount takes a dovetail bar directly, the standard Skywatcher one is not the best piece of engineering but its ok. The foot on some W/O scopes does fit into this slot directly but does not give a great deal of balance adjustment. The base of the foot has two holes that are threaded for a 1/4"20 photo tripod screw but with a bit of force will take the standard hex head screw that seems to be universal for all other telescope bits allowing a dovetail bar with a slotted base hole to be fixed to it. The holes in a standard Skywatcher dovetail bar dont seem to line up with anything I have come across but do have adjustment screws at either end to align out any cone error.

After a while you collect a box of "bits" and get quite adept at using things out of the box. A mate of mine has all of his OTA's on lengths of 18mm marine ply sprayed black so he can use wood screws to mount dovetails and tube rings without resorting to taps and dies. Works very well.

Michael_Lambert
5th of March 2009 (Thu), 08:10
Sorry Meant to say Az3

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=24&class1=3&class2=301

The dove tail peice on the scope fits right in however it did not come with the mounting hardware i think.

chris.bailey
5th of March 2009 (Thu), 08:50
I might be asking silly questions but what mounting hardware is missing? The Mak127 already has a fitted dovetail bar right? This slides into the female on the AZ3?

Michael_Lambert
5th of March 2009 (Thu), 09:11
I will photograph it when i get home today, I think that is what is missing, the female portion.

Currently i have the AZ3 mount but when looking at it i have a big opening where it looks like another piece should fit in order to slide the scope on it, Its hard to explain but i will post some pictures tonight.

Looking at the picture on there site my head is the gun metal color part, however on there site they seem to have some sort of black part on top which i do not have.

Michael_Lambert
5th of March 2009 (Thu), 19:06
Here are a couple of snap shots to show what i mean, I got a small bag with some tools i assume to attach whatever i am missing however i am missing something.

And as you can see there is no way the dovetail on the scope can line up with the mount like this. There has to be some sort of insert missing.

chris.bailey
6th of March 2009 (Fri), 03:22
Take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce4TN1EzUMQ and fast forward to about the 4 minute mark and you can see that the scope is attached to the mount by tube rings. It does appear as though it does not have the facility to take a dovetail bar. It may be worth a call to Skywatcher as there must be a way of doing it.