PDA

View Full Version : Telescope for Astronomy shots with 40D

Champion201
6th of March 2009 (Fri), 10:42
First off I'm not sure which forum this would belong in so moderators please move it to where it should be.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting into astronomy photography and would like to get a telescope that my 40D would work well with. Please forgive my ignorance here but I'm clueless here.

Thanks.

chris.bailey
6th of March 2009 (Fri), 11:50
Your 200mm 2.8 with and without the 1.4 Telecon would be a good starting point unless you are going to add a tracking mount which adds ooodles to the complication factor!

sdipirro
6th of March 2009 (Fri), 12:39
The camera body (40D) is almost an irrelevant piece of the puzzle with astrophotography. With a T-ring adapter for your dslr body, you can effectively make any decent telescope a lens for your camera...for prime focus photography...or with an eyepiece in the path for image projection photography. What Chris said is correct. Depending on the type of astrophotography, there's a lot more to it and the mount is key. You probably should also take Chris's suggestion and try the 200 f2.8 and 40D on a standard tripod and try some shots of the moon and some longer exposures of the sky. The Orion nebula is well placed right now. You'll get a feel for some of the issues, like dealing with Earth rotation...difficulties achieving proper focus...etc...

skipper34
6th of March 2009 (Fri), 13:07
It is always amazing the number of newbees that want to delve right into astrophoto's with a telescope. I know of no better way to get completely fed-up with frustration than to start off using a telescope, which is at the far end of the learning curve. Take the advice from those who have been there and done that. Start slowly and work your way up. The 200mm and tripod is sound logic. It wouldn't hurt to start off with a wide-angle lens on your 40D along with the fixed tripod. Amazing what you can record using this simple tried and true method.

kaitanium
6th of March 2009 (Fri), 13:14
It is always amazing the number of newbees that want to delve right into astrophoto's with a telescope. I know of no better way to get completely fed-up with frustration than to start off using a telescope, which is at the far end of the learning curve. Take the advice from those who have been there and done that. Start slowly and work your way up. The 200mm and tripod is sound logic. It wouldn't hurt to start off with a wide-angle lens on your 40D along with the fixed tripod. Amazing what you can record using this simple tried and true method.

and the amount of time needed to learn! i havent touched my telescope in weeks now...though i want to. learning to set it up is still the hard part and have it track the heavens.

Champion201
7th of March 2009 (Sat), 10:13
Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I just started looking at some of the pictures in the astronomy forum and was so amazed that I said, "I want to be able to do that" As suggested, I'll take my time, practice with my tripod and 200. learn, learn, learn and possibly sometime down the road get a telescope.

Thanks again all for "Talking me down" I have a bad habit of jumping in with both feet.

chris.bailey
7th of March 2009 (Sat), 13:00
My advice would be 40D and your 200/2.8 at 2.8 ISO 1600 and point it at a bit of sky. Use LiveView to get star focus and shoot 30 10 second frames. Download Deep Sky Stacker and stack them all. See what you get. Its how most of us started.

drevilsmom
7th of March 2009 (Sat), 21:11
I totally agree about what chris.bailey said. I just now am feeling comfortable with thinking about getting a mount with a drive, sans telescope, so I can guide with the stars a little bit better. I, too, took lots of short shots initially, and you would be amazed at how much detail you can get with a lot of short shots on the same subject matter. LOL, I do understand about wanting to jump in with both feet, though!!!

Disturbed UTT
10th of March 2009 (Tue), 08:21
Wow, this is exactly the sort of advice I was after too. Thanks Champion201 for asking the question in the first place.