PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for Hummers

rgfrison
12th of March 2009 (Thu), 20:18
I saw a thread about setting up long branches for perches it was very informative, but I can't seem to find it. I was also wondering if anyone has any tips on very territorial birds. I have 3 feeders and lots of trumpet vine in my yard but a dominate bird seems to rule the whole yard. The feeders are all about 25 feet or more apart at different heights and out of view of each other but the female, I had last year stayed high enough in a neighbors tree to dominate the whole yard. Any suggestions? I am pretty excited, last year was my first year shooting a dslr and I was using the 28-135, which didn't quite give me the results I was looking for.

canonloader
13th of March 2009 (Fri), 07:51
If she is smart enough to use a perch like that, then you have to give in to her. Try and find her nest this summer, if she comes back. It will be thimble size and probably within 5 or 6 feet of the ground and inside a bush or low tree branch. To bad you only have IS lenses, as they will be much slower to focus. that 70-200/2.8 in a non-IS version would be perfect. You can approach within feet of these birds if your careful, or put the feeder just outside one of your windows you can shoot from. ;)

rgfrison
13th of March 2009 (Fri), 19:06
I looked a little bit last year, but never found anything. I did have a couple rufous move in for about a week, and a black chinned male for a couple days. I was shooting manual focus the majority last year with decent results for the lens. She got pretty used to me and hovered a few feet from my face on several times. I am glad they aren't mean spirited she could have plucked my eyeball and been gone before I could have blinked.lol
I will look some more for the thread that showed the setup. I think it was just a dead branch about 8 ft high tied off near the feeder. I get lots of chances for good perched shots at the feeder, but something about the feeder in the pic just doesn't appeal to me that much. I love to get shots at the trumpet vine, last year they hardly hit it, the year before they hardly hit the feeders so I guess I will just have to wait and see. Even if she dominates the whole yard again she is still fun to watch.

Edit I found it.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=579601&highlight=hummingbird

badams
14th of March 2009 (Sat), 09:55
Here is a map that tracks ruby-throated hummers so you can kind of expect when they will be in your area.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html (http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html)

rgfrison
14th of March 2009 (Sat), 18:03
Thanks for the link, we don't get many ruby-throats around here but it covers other species and the website is full of great info.

gasrocks
15th of March 2009 (Sun), 13:47
You want lots and lots of small feeders spaced about 8 feet apart. No one bird can try to cover more than so many feeders. First year I tried to pix of Hummers I had one big feeder and the problem you mentioned. Last summer, 1o small feeders spaced around the backyard and no real issues at all.

Redrib
15th of March 2009 (Sun), 18:50
I did the same thing as Gasrocks...had lots of feeders all around the house and was able to get lots of pictures of hummers. I ended up having over 200 at one time during the summer. I am so anxious for their return...they are such a joy!

rgfrison
15th of March 2009 (Sun), 19:38
Wow 200 cool. My backyard is pretty tight with awnings from my garage and deck, sort of a maze. I could find spots for a few more feeders. Thanks for the advice. The more I read the more I think she was nesting here somewhere and protecting her turf. She was a calliope which is pretty rare to nest here but possible I guess. We get migrant rufous, caliope and blackchinned on the east side of the state. The rufous move through in about a week and about the same on the return migration. I know what you mean about them being a joy to watch, seems they can brighten even the worst day.

canonloader
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 05:01
How about posting some shots? :)

Redrib
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 07:24
I don't have many shots as my computer crashed last August and I lost many of them and my external hard drive is mean and won't let me retrieve anything (and I'm too dumb to figure out how to outwit the damn thing)! Here are a few I posted on POTN last year. This year I will use a tripod and have things set up a little better for photographing.

canonloader
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 08:16
Very nice. I can't wait till they come back this year. :)

rgfrison
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 08:26
Those are really nice.:D It must have been a bad year for hard drives. I have one
sitting on my shelf I need to try and recover half of last summers shots.

This was my first post on potn. Unedited, 28-135, full crop.
Haha, I was so proud of this shot at the time.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/rgfrison/03.jpg

canonloader
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 09:16
If the hard drive didn't blow up, and you think the HDD itself is still good, try one of these (http://www.usbgear.net/productdetails_new.cfm?sku=SS-123ASD&cats=). It's an adapter for SATA and IDE hard drives with a power supply that lets you put the drive on your desk and connect it to a USB port and the power supply and get the data off it. I have had two WD Book drives go bad, and the drive was OK, just the crappy electonics inside that power it went south. I took it out and hooked it up and got all my data back.