PDA

View Full Version : Lighting advice please.

mikaela
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 06:25
I am taking some photos of a young band in a pub that is very poorly lit with just wall lights. I will be very close to the band. I have a nifty fifty. Kit lens 18-55 and a 70-300 tamron. It is for fun but would be nice to have a few settings to try out on the evening. Main question is the title what WB setting to use.
Forgot to say I have a xti.

bacchanal
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 10:32
I would probably just go with Tungsten WB. Shoot RAW and you can fix the WB in post if necessary. Shooting RAW will also help quite a bit if you have exposure issues.

If the lighting is very dim, you'll probably have to go with ISO1600 and use the nifty to get a a decent shutter speed.

If the lighting is constant, try shooting in M...otherwise Av works well (just keep an eye on your highlights (check the histogram) and shutter speed.

mikaela
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 11:56
Thanks I will take your advice much appreciated.
The last time I shot them in a different pub I used the flash. I would really like to get a few shots without flash if I can. I bought the nifty after reading on here it is a good lens in low light and it was priced within my budget.
I am new to DSLR cameras I have just moved up from a bridge camera.
I have read lots on here but most are professional bands with different lighting.

gcobb
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 13:14
Thanks I will take your advice much appreciated.
The last time I shot them in a different pub I used the flash. I would really like to get a few shots without flash if I can. I bought the nifty after reading on here it is a good lens in low light and it was priced within my budget.
I am new to DSLR cameras I have just moved up from a bridge camera.
I have read lots on here but most are professional bands with different lighting.

Shooting in low light with movement is an art. It isn't something someone can pick up on overnight. I've gotten where I won't shoot in a dimly lit club and struggle. It really isn't worth it to me anymore. :) You can lock on faded jeans sometimes and get a decent wb. How often the lighting scenes change is a variable too. What works one minute may not the next.

If you know their music and can read their character and movement on the stage it is a benefit to you. You can catch the singer while he's holding a long note or otherwise not moving much. If you watch the others you can do the same with them. If it's a group that sits and doesn't move much it isn't quite as much thought involved.

bacchanal
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 13:16
Here are some shots that I did with a Rebel XT and 50 1.8 awhile back (I also used an 85 and 135 for a few of the shots): http://www.photos.fahrenheit128.com/p1062319975

If you hover over an image and then the orange box in the upper right, you can see the shot settings.

This was in pretty low, but relatively even lighting. I managed to get by with ISO1600 and some pretty low shutter speeds. Thankfully these bands were relatively stationary...things get much more difficult if you're tying to shoot a very active band (like typical punk or metal) in this kind of light.

gcobb
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 13:25
Here are some shots that I did with a Rebel XT and 50 1.8 awhile back (I also used an 85 and 135 for a few of the shots): http://www.photos.fahrenheit128.com/p1062319975

If you hover over an image and then the orange box in the upper right, you can see the shot settings.

This was in pretty low, but relatively even lighting. I managed to get by with ISO1600 and some pretty low shutter speeds. Thankfully these bands were relatively stationary...things get much more difficult if you're tying to shoot a very active band (like typical punk or metal) in this kind of light.

Those turned out good for what you had to work with. Imagine it being a rock band where they never stopped moving and lights were changing every few seconds. :)

bacchanal
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 13:58
Those turned out good for what you had to work with. Imagine it being a rock band where they never stopped moving and lights were changing every few seconds. :)

That's why I have a 5D2 and a bunch of flashes. ;)

mikaela
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 14:17
Thank you both they dont move about too much.
I will just have fun photographing them no pressure for brilliant shots. I have photographed them before but always used flash I like a challenge so will try without.

bacchanal they are some great shots. I will take another look tonight and study the shot settings I know each situation is different and you cant say exactly what settings to use on the camera but it does give me an idea of what shutter speeds to give a go.

At least for me I can always use flash. I will also shoot in raw.