PDA

View Full Version : New and need help!!

redace72374
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 08:24
I am fairly new to the whole wonderful world of digital photography. I am going to a concert in DC on March 21 and was planning on taking my camera. I have a SX10IS. I tried to take some shots of a local band at a local bar, and they all turned out dark. I guess what I'm asking is, what settings should I use for a concert setting. A range of settings would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!

bacchanal
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 09:47
If this is a larger concert I would probably use Av mode, and set the lowest possible aperture value. If you zoom wide, your camera can choose a lower aperture value and gather more light. Also, keep in mind that if you're a ways from the performer, your flash won't do much good. You may need to set Exposure Compensation (EC) to get a better exposure. If you have a dark background use -EC, if you have a very bright background use +EC. Watch your shutter speed, and try to keep it as high as possible to get a sharp image. You will probably need to raise your ISO a bit, but be careful as increasing ISO will add grain to the image.

DDCSD
16th of March 2009 (Mon), 23:26
Welcome to POTN!!!

Drew has given you some good advice. I just wanted to add that you should be sure to set your flash so that it does not even attempt to fire. There should be a setting that allows this.

redace72374
17th of March 2009 (Tue), 11:27
Thanks for the advice guys!!! Actually, the SX10is has a manual flash. You have to manually pop it up in order for it to fire. I'll let you know how everything turns out!!!:D

redace72374
22nd of March 2009 (Sun), 12:46
Concerts are really tough to shoot!!! Even on like 1600 or 3200 ISO, the images still blurred. You have to wait until the subject is standing still, or not strumming to snap the photo. The video I took turned out great though. That is until the b!tch at the club told me I couldn't take video....only still photos!!!