PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5DII mic input

charl1e
18th of March 2009 (Wed), 22:47
So, what does everyone else here think of the 5D mark II audio input/gain? I just filmed part of my documentary with a Rode Videomic connected and it seems to have much more hiss than when on my HV20. Anyway to solve this?

osv
19th of March 2009 (Thu), 14:30
were you able to turn off the automatic gain control on the canon? is that possible?

DeCeccoNET
19th of March 2009 (Thu), 15:31
Nope :(

I actuallty had the Azden SMX-10 and the Seinhiser (mentioned in the B&H newsletter recently) and returned both because untill there is a way to work around the agc, there was just too mutch hiss to make eaither of them worthwile (but thats just my opinion)

AlphaChicken
19th of March 2009 (Thu), 18:13
Could you not easily remove the hiss in post? If the hiss is constant you could just sample some silence and then use the clip as a sample for Adobe SB hiss removal.

charl1e
19th of March 2009 (Thu), 18:29
Is there anyway to remove his is Sony Vegas?

FlyingPhotog
19th of March 2009 (Thu), 18:30
Does Sony Vegas have any parametric EQ control? You need to be able to target a pretty narrow band to supress hiss...

AlphaChicken
19th of March 2009 (Thu), 21:06
If not I'm sure there is an audio program that you can do it in. Just export the audio track and work on it then re-import it. Does audacity have a param. EQ?

BrantG
20th of March 2009 (Fri), 11:51
Could you not easily remove the hiss in post? If the hiss is constant you could just sample some silence and then use the clip as a sample for Adobe SB hiss removal.

This is probably the only option unless Canon gives us the option to override the agc.

osv
20th of March 2009 (Fri), 13:42
sony vegas pro will take any number of plugins, like the waves stuff, which is xlnt... but i'm guessing that it comes with a noise reduction plugin.

the better way to do it is to simply use one of those inexpensive portable flash recorders, there are about a million of 'em on the market today, pro quality stuff... just use a clapper to sync the sound up with, record it with the canon as well, and swap the audio tracks in post.

such are the headaches when going with film-style shooting... even if canon turned off the agc, the portable recorders probably have better quality audio dacs and such.