PDA

View Full Version : Best Canon for low High-ISO noise?

alan_potter
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 03:49
This feels like a FAQ, but I couldn't quickly find a relevant thread. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Anyway, I have been shooting local stage shows for a couple of years now - I've posted some pictures in here and there are more at http://www.stagepics.co.uk

I'm beginning to feel a desire to move on; modern dSLRs are offering much higher ISO numbers, and I am led to believe that cameras newer than my 350D offer better and more reliably accurate focusing.

So where should I be looking? is the 50D, for example, be significantly better than the 450D? Where is the sweet spot between fast processing, 14 bit RAW and low noise?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

regards,
/alan

blackshadow
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 05:35
From the Canon stable I think you will find the 5D Mark II will offer the best high iso/low noise performance.

alan_potter
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 05:53
That would indeed be nice, but is somewhat out of my price range... I was wondering more about the xxxD range as compared to the xxD...

regards,
/alan

dan0103
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 08:17
The new rebel supposedly has the same sensor and ISO range of the 50D.

stathunter
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 08:20
This is my personal opinion from a low light-- high ISO wedding shooter. The best is the Nikon D3 or Nikon D700 -- the Canon 5D Mk2 and origional 5D come in almost tied for second.
So if you are looking for "lower" budget body-- I would go with the 5D --- original. But no matter what you get the glass better be fantastic.

narlus
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 09:41
the 5D2 handles noise better than the 5D, in my experience.

gjl711
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 09:47
That would indeed be nice, but is somewhat out of my price range... I was wondering more about the xxxD range as compared to the xxD...

regards,
/alan
Looks like thats going to be the new 500D

alan_potter
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 10:38
Oops - I was meaning in the xxxD or xxD as compared to the xD price range!

At the moment, I'm comparing the 450D and the 40D or 50D - all of which seem to be much better than the 350D I use just now. Perhaps I don't really need to go any further than that!

regards,
/alan

Jdumas
25th of March 2009 (Wed), 12:01
I upgraded to a 50D from a 400D for the same reasons as you, better lowlight focusing and better high ISO. I am very happy with my decision.

blackshadow
26th of March 2009 (Thu), 04:29
This is my personal opinion from a low light-- high ISO wedding shooter. The best is the Nikon D3 or Nikon D700 -- the Canon 5D Mk2 and origional 5D come in almost tied for second.
So if you are looking for "lower" budget body-- I would go with the 5D --- original. But no matter what you get the glass better be fantastic.

The 1D Mark III handles low light/noise a bit better than the 5D.

kmb
27th of March 2009 (Fri), 03:24
I have 1D mark 3 and 5D. FWIW, there is about one stop difference in the high end ISOs. Mk3 ISO3200 = 5D ISO1600; Mk3 ISO6400 equiv. = 5D ISO3200 equiv.
This goes to noise as well as general quality, I'd say. And I do mean real life concert shooting here, not some silly test shots in daylight.

There should be further around one stop difference between 1D mark 3 and 5D mark 2 (advantage for 5D mark 2).

alan_potter
29th of March 2009 (Sun), 16:18
Thanks for the replies, everyone - there's a pretty wide range of views in there!

I think I can probably swing a 50D past the wide in a couple of months, the 5D would be lovely but just ain't gonna happen :-)

regards,
/alan

pyebydesign
4th of April 2009 (Sat), 01:23
I purchased a 5D2 at christmas time and am very impressed with the noise suppression. Team that up with decent noise reduction in your editing program and shooting at 6400iso is definitely not out of the question. Shooting live music as i do, this has saved me many times. From what i have seen, stepping up to the XXD range will help with noise levels.
It all comes down to budget, we buy what we can afford and obviously. The higher up the models you move- the better results you will get.

Cheers,
Aaron.