PDA

View Full Version : "One Song" Limit - Lens Strategy ?

canadatv
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 11:17
I'm shooting Leonard Cohen in a couple of weeks, for some unknown reason he only allows one song for us photogs. Here's my gear:

Canon 5D
16-35L
24-70L
24-105L
135L

I've shot the venue before, very nice light. I'll be shooting from the pit up front. I'm thinking of just keeping the 24-105L on my camera the whole time, eventhough it's f/4 and not as sharp as the 24-70L, it will probably give me the most flexibility in focal length. By the looks of his stage setup, he is pretty much stage center the whole time under some nice white spots. If I get some good shots in the first half of the song, I may swap out the 135L to attempt some headshots.

Any opinions one way or the other?

Thanks.

narlus
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 13:17
i would go w/ the 24-70 and swap to the 135 if i thought i needed a tighter shot which i hadn't yet got.

you could bring the 24-104 as well and possibly swap to that if the light is good enough to shoot @ f/4...bringing 3 lenses isn't that big a deal, is it? i've got 6 and two cameras w/ me for tonight...

René Damkot
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 14:10
From the pit? Nice.
Richard had to shoot from the soundboard a while back: Thread (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=643728&highlight=cohen).

I too would start off with the 24-70, then use the 135L if there's need / time left.

DDCSD
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 14:41
you could bring the 24-104 as well and possibly swap to that if the light is good enough to shoot @ f/4...bringing 3 lenses isn't that big a deal, is it? i've got 6 and two cameras w/ me for tonight...

What do you do with the lenses you aren't using? Do you switch every song?

I don't even bother to bring anything that isn't attached to my cameras, just seems like it would be too much of a hassle.

narlus
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 15:47
What do you do with the lenses you aren't using? Do you switch every song?

they stay in the bag if i don't need 'em.

I don't even bother to bring anything that isn't attached to my cameras, just seems like it would be too much of a hassle.

i'd rather lug the weight rather than get caught w/ crappy lighting...i should state that i don't do this for all my shoots, but there are a couple of larger venues that don't have a photo pit and have variable lighting so having primes is usually needed.

DDCSD
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 16:03
they stay in the bag if i don't need 'em.

i'd rather lug the weight rather than get caught w/ crappy lighting...i should state that i don't do this for all my shoots, but there are a couple of larger venues that don't have a photo pit and have variable lighting so having primes is usually needed.

Ah, I was thinking you meant that you carry them on you and switch them as you shoot.

I keep the 85 1.8 in the car just in case. Luckily f/2.8 has been plenty for me so far at the bigger shows.

Makes sense!

blackshadow
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 16:30
I carry at least three (sometimes 4 lenses with me to a gig) and generally 2 bodies. I have my lenses set to go in either a crumpler 7MDH bag - that means caps off both ends, hoods on etc so if I need to change I can do it quickly.

I shot Leonard Cohen a couple of months ago and it was a sound board shoot - you'd want at least a 400mm lens - the shots in the thread Rene linked to were all with a 400 f5.6L on a monopod and they were heavily cropped. I'd definitely be checking with the publicist that you are in fact in the pit as all the shots I have seen from his current tour are from way back. If you are shooting from the soundboard beg, borrow or steal a decent super tele - 500 or 600mm would be the preferred length.

If in fact you are shooting from the pit - Tim and Rene's advice of the 24-70 and 135 sound like a good starting point.

bacchanal
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 17:39
I agree with the others 24-70 and 135 if there is time. You never know, sometimes they like to keep the lights low for the first 1-3 songs...probably just to mess with the photogs, so I would stick with the f/2.8.

I always carry my domke f-6 (shoulder bag) when I shoot, and I typically bring every last one of my lenses (all three of them).

canadatv
2nd of April 2009 (Thu), 20:38
I carry at least three (sometimes 4 lenses with me to a gig) and generally 2 bodies. I have my lenses set to go in either a crumpler 7MDH bag - that means caps off both ends, hoods on etc so if I need to change I can do it quickly.

I shot Leonard Cohen a couple of months ago and it was a sound board shoot - you'd want at least a 400mm lens - the shots in the thread Rene linked to were all with a 400 f5.6L on a monopod and they were heavily cropped. I'd definitely be checking with the publicist that you are in fact in the pit as all the shots I have seen from his current tour are from way back. If you are shooting from the soundboard beg, borrow or steal a decent super tele - 500 or 600mm would be the preferred length.

If in fact you are shooting from the pit - Tim and Rene's advice of the 24-70 and 135 sound like a good starting point.

Thanks for the advice on this one, I have an email in to the tour manager. Looks like a rental may be in order.

Thanks to all for the advice as well.

René Damkot
4th of April 2009 (Sat), 18:24
Let us know how it went! :)

canadatv
10th of May 2009 (Sun), 20:19
Well, last night was Leonard Cohen, and it was quite restrictive. One song, as mentioned, and they put us along the right wall which would have been okay if the dude didn't spend half the song with either his back to us or kneeling next to the guitar player. Oh and we couldn't move for fear of distracting the audience. I ended up pulling ahead my next lens purchase, and got myself a 70-200/2.8IS and 2X extender combination, which I used the whole time. Here are my favorites from four minutes of shooting, the rest of the set can be seen here (http://imagesbygene.zenfolio.com/p294510047)...

http://imagesbygene.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p330748321-3.jpg

http://imagesbygene.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p19840006-4.jpg

http://imagesbygene.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p115734897-3.jpg

René Damkot
12th of May 2009 (Tue), 09:14
I like the first one.
Tough circumstances...

johnstoy
13th of May 2009 (Wed), 18:53
The bunch of guys in # 2 look great... Make for a very interesting composition... I'm going with #2 as my choice from this set.

Madgwick
18th of May 2009 (Mon), 15:20
Awesome choice in lens at the last minute lol, I really like the first one alot too!!