PDA

View Full Version : ?? tripod heads compatible with RRS camera plates

yabbie
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 02:08
I've just realised that the various quick release systems and camera plates aren't all intercompatible.

What systems work with RRS, and also (but not absolutely necessary for me now) what tripod heads will allow a Markins QR plate to be attached?

Dailow
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 08:19
Theoretically, any arca-swiss type equipment should be compatible with each other, although I'm not sure if that's the reality or not.

I did have a Markins QR plate (came with the Q3T ballhead) that worked just fine with an RRS L-plate, however.

czeglin
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 08:35
Theoretically, any arca-swiss type equipment should be compatible with each other, although I'm not sure if that's the reality or not.

I did have a Markins QR plate (came with the Q3T ballhead) that worked just fine with an RRS L-plate, however.
The only notable exception that I'm aware of is that not all plates are compatible with RRS level release clamps. Their regular screw clamps accept any Arca-Swiss plates.

Wilt
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 10:21
The only notable exception that I'm aware of is that not all plates are compatible with RRS level release clamps. Their regular screw clamps accept any Arca-Swiss plates.

RRS lever release clamps

The issue is that the lever release clamp has a fixed range of motion of the clamp, and a too small plate cannot lock tightly. So while the form factor of 'Arca compatible' equipment is similar, they are not uniformly dimensioned. So a variable motion manual screw action clamp always works, but the lever clamp is an 'it depends' kind of thing.

It is often (but not always) possible to remove the clamp that comes with a ballhead, and replace it with the QR clamping system of your choice. The Arca style clamps come from a number of different manufacturers...Arca, Kirk, RRS, Wemberley, Markins (maybe others)