PDA

View Full Version : Benro Tripod ???

Cole_Schmitt
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 16:31
Hey guys, well I am in search for a new tripod and I cam across this one on B&H.. It's a Benro A-168M8 with B-O ball head.. I don't need anything spectacular, just something to take portraits to nature to landscapes. Something that will hold my XTi + 17-55mm and 70-200mm F/2.8 IS that will I hopefully be getting within a month ;) But just let me know if it is a good tripod that will suit me well for what I am using..
Here is a link to it on B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584278-REG/Benro_458_168_A_168M8_Travel_Angel_Aluminum.html

Cole_S

dandig
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 17:12
I have a benro tripod and I love it. Had it for a few years now. I dont know about the model you mention but what i would say is that their ballheads are pretty much the worst I have ever seen. I had one and it broke, after a battle they replaced it, the replacement broke 1 day after i received it......

The tripod will probably be good but i'd stay clear of the ballheads if i were you..

5teve
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 17:46
I owned the C-169 M8 with B-0 ballhead for a bit, but do not believe that the B-0 ballhead will be able to hold the 70-200 f/2.8 lens sufficiently. I did not feel like it held my 5D2 w/24-105 well, and the 70-200 lens is much heavier. I now have the C-269 w/B-1 ballhead and I believe it would be a better fit.

I did a review of the C-269 M8 here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=664575

Cole_Schmitt
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 21:03
I have a benro tripod and I love it. Had it for a few years now. I dont know about the model you mention but what i would say is that their ballheads are pretty much the worst I have ever seen. I had one and it broke, after a battle they replaced it, the replacement broke 1 day after i received it......

The tripod will probably be good but i'd stay clear of the ballheads if i were you..

Thanks alot. Greatt warning!

I owned the C-169 M8 with B-0 ballhead for a bit, but do not believe that the B-0 ballhead will be able to hold the 70-200 f/2.8 lens sufficiently. I did not feel like it held my 5D2 w/24-105 well, and the 70-200 lens is much heavier. I now have the C-269 w/B-1 ballhead and I believe it would be a better fit.

I did a review of the C-269 M8 here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=664575

Haha I've read your review already ;) But now to try to find a deal on one... :p Ugh, more searching!

Bubble
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 21:05
tripod is is good. Not sure about ballhead. Don't know if their new design (new generation) improve on the problem yet.

Jethro790
3rd of April 2009 (Fri), 21:10
I have an Induro that is absolutely awesome, basically a rebadged Benro. I also own a Gitzo, so I have seen both sides of the fence.

sonnyc
4th of April 2009 (Sat), 00:34
I have the Benro C-228 with the Q3 head and it's great. Light weight and sturdy.

Cole_Schmitt
12th of April 2009 (Sun), 20:02
Thanks guys.. I will be searching around some more :)

JohnJ80
12th of April 2009 (Sun), 23:05
I'd look at Feisol instead. Benro has a very checkered past. Do some searches. Feisol, on the other hand, has a great reputation for customer service, performance - and a big one for me - they look like they do their own R&D and development (not a knockoff).

I'd also not look at Benro ballheads until a lot of people weigh in with them being good. There have been some problems.

For example - http://www.tomwebsterphoto.com/Essays/Benro/benroks2.htm

Not to say that you won't get a great one, but there is definitely higher risk with this than with Feisol, manfrotto or Gitzo.

The problem with knockoffs is that they usually look great - paint, finish etc.. but whether they are actually good or not can be a crap shoot. Some of the things that are said about these is that the composition of the CF is more epoxy (bad) than CF (good for damping), that the layup results in a whippier leg (laid up like a fishing rod), and that the leg locks are suspect, the adhesive between the spider and leg tubes can let go, and they have had issues in being loose or not as rigid as they ought to be.

So, my suggestion would be to look at Feisol over Benro. YMMV.

J.

dandig
12th of April 2009 (Sun), 23:25
like i said, Benro triods GOOD. Benrod ball heads.... BAAAD.

:)

JohnJ80
12th of April 2009 (Sun), 23:40
Mmmm. I'd say "Benro triopods maybe."

Here's some interesting reading from naturscapes:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86160&p=888348&hilit=gitzodave#p888348

and then (read down aways to the discussion of the constuction)
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101990&p=1048068&hilit=david+fisher+benro#p1048068

J.

ed rader
13th of April 2009 (Mon), 00:21
Hey guys, well I am in search for a new tripod and I cam across this one on B&H.. It's a Benro A-168M8 with B-O ball head.. I don't need anything spectacular, just something to take portraits to nature to landscapes. Something that will hold my XTi + 17-55mm and 70-200mm F/2.8 IS that will I hopefully be getting within a month ;) But just let me know if it is a good tripod that will suit me well for what I am using..
Here is a link to it on B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584278-REG/Benro_458_168_A_168M8_Travel_Angel_Aluminum.html

Cole_S

check out benro tripods on ebay....you'll probably get a better deal. i bought mine there, as well as a benro monopod, and love them both :D.

ed rader

Cole_Schmitt
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 06:11
When I get back from Florida, I will start my search :) I just want to try to find a combo so I don't end up spending $400+..

petris
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 06:20
Mmmm. I'd say "Benro triopods maybe."

Here's some interesting reading from naturscapes:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86160&p=888348&hilit=gitzodave#p888348

and then (read down aways to the discussion of the constuction)
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101990&p=1048068&hilit=david+fisher+benro#p1048068

J.

Could you expect that Gitzo Product Manager, Bogen Imaging US will told something positive from Benro or any another competive? :D

and yes, i have a Gitzo.

JohnJ80
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 09:28
Take it for what it's worth. My bet is that it is pretty factual in terms of the relative performance and the construction/spec issues. For technical marketing, if you don't have proof when you make claims you lose huge. They are not that stupid if they are going to be putting that forth. Besides that, you don't see Benro refuting it anywhere either - again, if you don't have proof that they are wrong, you are foolish to try.

Finally, if you choose not to believe this, then why would you believe what Benro says about how great their stuff is? Skepticism goes both ways.

J.

bohdank
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 09:33
I've pretty much decided on the Feisol so couldn't care less what Gitzo says about their products and Benro about theirs or about each other. I'm sure none of them are actually lying but when has strecthing the truth been taboo when it comes to marketing :-)

JohnJ80
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 09:42
I just wanted to provide some contrast to the rest of the thread. Nothing more.

Feisol is a good choice and a reputable company. Let us know how you like it.

J.

Snow001
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 10:39
I purchased a Benro C-069 w/ a B-00 ballhead because it could fold down to 13.1".
Used it on my recent trip to Mexico as i wanted to use it on Chitzen Itza. Handled a 40D w/ 17-55 IS quite well.

However I was not able to use it on the Mayan Site anyway since it was forbidden to use a tri-pod as the considered it "professional" whatever that meant. But was able to use it elsewhere.

Been quite happy with it. I also own a Gitzo 1541T w/ Markins Q3T and the two are quite comparable.

However I have not used the Benro extensively and have not tried it w/ a 70-200 2.8 IS.

From my experience, the Benro tri-pod is a good performer. The ballhead which is the 2nd generation ballhead from what I have been told is so far performing well to the extent of what i have subjected it to.

Their 1st generation ballheads from what I have read are questionable so if you do buy a Benro make sure you are getting the 2nd generation ballhead in case the vendor is selling old stock.

I am quite satisfied with my Benro purchase.

petris
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 12:32
Take it for what it's worth. My bet is that it is pretty factual in terms of the relative performance and the construction/spec issues. For technical marketing, if you don't have proof when you make claims you lose huge. They are not that stupid if they are going to be putting that forth. Besides that, you don't see Benro refuting it anywhere either - again, if you don't have proof that they are wrong, you are foolish to try.

Finally, if you choose not to believe this, then why would you believe what Benro says about how great their stuff is? Skepticism goes both ways.

J.

Yes it does :D
I just don't understand why marketing manager of Gitzo have to explain in detail how,what material and what work processes another manufactures uses IF their own products are so "Great" and expecially when another manufactures come from China.. i think it is underestimate Chinese, but that's it ;)

bohdank
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 13:35
Because Gitzo is probably losing sales to Benro and is worried. Companies rarely compare their products to a competitor's, directly (I assume that is what they did...didn't read the article). When they do it is almost always to market or quality leaders.

Even if they are better, sounds like they're scared.

SteveNC
16th of April 2009 (Thu), 14:21
Did I miss something? Where is Gitzo commenting on Benro?

petris
17th of April 2009 (Fri), 00:37
Did I miss something? Where is Gitzo commenting on Benro?

post #11 in 2nd link

alyson
17th of April 2009 (Fri), 04:20
btw, which one came first, BENBO or BENRO?

JohnJ80
17th of April 2009 (Fri), 15:25
Because Gitzo is probably losing sales to Benro and is worried. Companies rarely compare their products to a competitor's, directly (I assume that is what they did...didn't read the article). When they do it is almost always to market or quality leaders.

Even if they are better, sounds like they're scared.

Huh? What well run company doesn't carefully evaluate their competition? Scared? Who would know. Gitzo has always aimed at the professional market and I doubt they are losing sales there at all. If anything, with all the prosumers looking at them and buying them, my bet is that their business is better than ever and they have expanded into markets that they normally did not play in before.

I'd suspect that his data is quite accurate. If not, prove it otherwise. There is zero benefit to anyone to do this incorrectly because getting caught embellishing the truth is fatal to your reputation (and sales). At one time, it was a lot easier to get away with this before the internet, enthusiast forums like this one, and email. Now, you lie and get caught, it's everywhere inside of 24 hours and you are toast. By the same score, you can almost guarantee that it is accurate or you would have had Benro marketing all over the internet proving them wrong. That's been out there a long time and I haven't been able to find one peep by Benro countering it - probably because they can't or they most certainly would (and gleefully).

J.

petris
17th of April 2009 (Fri), 15:39
Huh? What well run company doesn't carefully evaluate their competition? Scared? Who would know. Gitzo has always aimed at the professional market and I doubt they are losing sales there at all. If anything, with all the prosumers looking at them and buying them, my bet is that their business is better than ever and they have expanded into markets that they normally did not play in before.

I'd suspect that his data is quite accurate. If not, prove it otherwise. There is zero benefit to anyone to do this incorrectly because getting caught embellishing the truth is fatal to your reputation (and sales). At one time, it was a lot easier to get away with this before the internet, enthusiast forums like this one, and email. Now, you lie and get caught, it's everywhere inside of 24 hours and you are toast. By the same score, you can almost guarantee that it is accurate or you would have had Benro marketing all over the internet proving them wrong. That's been out there a long time and I haven't been able to find one peep by Benro countering it - probably because they can't or they most certainly would (and gleefully).

J.

Evaluating and denigrate is totally different case :D

and if someone asked user comments from Benro, everytime some same person send same old tomtom-links :D

JohnJ80
17th of April 2009 (Fri), 16:07
Facts were quoted. How is that denigrating? Prove it wrong if you don't agree.

J.

petris
17th of April 2009 (Fri), 16:28
Facts were quoted. How is that denigrating? Prove it wrong if you don't agree.

J.

Does GM buy a car from Ford and break up it in to pieces, does laboratory test for materials and evaluate their working prosesses in detail and Publish it with explaining how low quality Ford is?

bohdank
17th of April 2009 (Fri), 18:52

J.

I am not commenting about whether it is factual or not just the the motivation.

No company, that assumes it is the leader, compares their products to a "competitor" in such detail unless it fears losing sales or has determined it is losing sales to that competitor. It's actually poor marketing since there may be people that visit the site and didn't know about Benro, sparking unintential interest in a competitor.

Keep in mind the current economy. I'm sure they ARE losing some sales to lower cost competitors, regardless of any real or apparant differences in quality.

squiress
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 12:11
Couple of PMs drew me back for a bit. I've learned a lot here and spent more recent efforts putting it to work.

Seems kind of silly to see the same old arguments by GitzoDave (fishing rods - come on) being used to denigrate (yes denigrate) Benros/Induros (in the same manner I saw the link to Tom Webster's review posted recently on a Benro ball head thread (oops that was this one :rolleyes:)) but what can you say, I've already argued numerous times here in the same age posts as his that carbon fiber technology and decent metalwork is pretty much very well integrated into modern tripod manufacture (and not to make flexible fishing rod leg sets). Since then things most likely have improved further. Personally all three of my Benro tripods and one monopod are doing just fine thank you. As well, the two Benro ball heads, and my Dynatran tripod and Weifeng ball head are doing fine as well. All this stuff simply works and hasn't broken or disappointed. And I've added a few more Ls and a 30D to my equipment list, spending money where it counts, mostly on glass.

Also last time I checked none of these tripods are cheap anymore. Certainly that goes a long way toward showing acceptance in the marketplace.

squiress
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 12:24
btw, which one came first, BENBO or BENRO?

Benbo has been around a lot longer than Benro.

JohnJ80
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 15:37
That would be the same old arguments that you declined to disprove rather than diss a month ago? It's not denigration if it's the truth.

J.

Cole_Schmitt
27th of May 2009 (Wed), 14:01
I've pretty much decided on the Feisol so couldn't care less what Gitzo says about their products and Benro about theirs or about each other. I'm sure none of them are actually lying but when has strecthing the truth been taboo when it comes to marketing :-)

I wouldn't mind one but they are VERY pricey and right now I have money put aside for a strobe, softbox/stands/etc, and CS4 so I don't think a Feisol is going to be mine anytime soon, LOL.