PDA

View Full Version : Black Death Inscription

Fencer90
10th of April 2009 (Fri), 08:58
Although this is not a great picture , Medieval churches are not the greatest places to take images, I thought some would find this interesting. This is an inscription started in late spring, early summer of 1348 when the Black death was raging throughout Europe. It was carved by parish priests in Latin and reads

"Just the first plague was in 1000, 300 and 50 minus 1
There was a plague 1000,three times 100, five times 10,
a pitiable, fierce violent (plague departed); a wretched populace survives to witness and in the end a mighty wind, Maurus, thunders in this year in the world, 1361"

Jim G
10th of April 2009 (Fri), 09:06
Fascinating... thanks for sharing :)

Brad Remick
10th of April 2009 (Fri), 18:31
very cool!

TekHouse
11th of April 2009 (Sat), 06:27
yeah very cool..

semi-fly
11th of April 2009 (Sat), 23:47
Although this is not a great picture , Medieval churches are not the greatest places to take images, I thought some would find this interesting. This is an inscription started in late spring, early summer of 1348 when the Black death was raging throughout Europe. It was carved by parish priests in Latin and reads

"Just the first plague was in 1000, 300 and 50 minus 1
There was a plague 1000,three times 100, five times 10,
a pitiable, fierce violent (plague departed); a wretched populace survives to witness and in the end a mighty wind, Maurus, thunders in this year in the world, 1361"

Any chance you remember where you took this picture (i.e. the Church)? According to your translation the date places it in or around Western Europe as the plague in England hit its peak between 1348 and 1350 killing some 30-40% of the population.

Fencer90
12th of April 2009 (Sun), 04:42
The translation is not mine its from the Website of the church which is

http://www.stmarysashwell.org.uk/church/graffiti/decode2.htm

The website is quite informative and contains details of some of the other graffiti in the church which for a religious institution is rather strange.

Fencer90
12th of April 2009 (Sun), 06:51
Here is another interesting one .. The first RFC Pilot to shoot down a Zeppelin over London , monument was paid for readers of the Daily Mail . This is taken in Brompton Cemetery West London. Brompton is the smallest of the Large Victorian Burial Places dotted around London