PDA

View Full Version : Converting Movies to MPEG?

Mac Maven
5th of August 2001 (Sun), 10:51
I've taken several movies (mini-clips) with my G1 and they play fine on my desktop. My Pocket PC (iPAQ) only plays MPEGs so I need to convert. The only conversion tools I have found says the movies are not readable format of AVI. Any ideas how to convert so i can play them on my Pocket PC?

Thanks;
Allan

TulsaRod
5th of August 2001 (Sun), 19:37
I've used the platypus animator to convert the g1 avi files to mpg files.

http://www.c-point.com/

Mac Maven
7th of August 2001 (Tue), 19:03
Seems like the way to go, but all my .AVI's off the G1 seem to get an error (something about being corrupt) when I try and convert to MPEG. They play fine on my W2K PC and my Mac. Any ideas? I'd sure like to move them to the Pocket PC for viewing.

Allan

TulsaRod
8th of August 2001 (Wed), 04:17
Hmmm,
I always use a flash card reader (not the patch cord from the camera) to transfer files to pc. I always use Sandisk flash cards. Havn't had any trouble with avi's or photos.

I think to get them to play on a smaller device (like a pocket pc) you have to convert them to the proper format for the individual device. Your manual may give some clues.

nikey
15th of August 2001 (Wed), 14:15
After downloading files into my computer, I just rename from *.avi to *.mpg and I can play my file just fine.

TulsaRod
15th of August 2001 (Wed), 19:58
One good thing about converting avis to mpgs with something like the Platapus software, is the file size gets reduced by about half. Those avi's can be really large files. It probably depends on the compression-quality settings you choose. But for emails, the smaller the file size the better.

Then I usually use Infraview as a player because it has a speed control. Can't seem to find anything else that lets you control the playing speed. Infraview is a freebie off the net.

hotnyh
23rd of August 2001 (Thu), 22:49
Hi, I'm a new member and this is my 1st post.

My G1 is about 6 months old. It has already conked out once- during a holiday at Whistler Mtn in Cananda. GUess it couldn't take the snow and cold. It was fixed by the agent after 6 weeks! They replaced the lens and the "electric convertor"- ??? go figure.

Anyway, I was trying to port back a movie clip taken with the G1 back into the camera from the Canon browser. All my still images went back into the microdrive but the movie refused to go.

Is there anything I am missing here? Can this be done? I wanted to use the camera to present a slide show on someone's tv.

dbookbinder
24th of August 2001 (Fri), 03:15
Somebody on the dpreview forum has figured out the AVI to MPEG stuff and has also gathered together links to software to do the job. His page:

http://puntkomma.dhs.org/tutorial

boone
24th of August 2001 (Fri), 08:26
That tutorial is great. I had a movie rotated and MPEG'd in no time.

One thing I didn't have to do was install the MJPEG codec. I wonder if that gets installed by the PowerShot software, or if Windows ME came with it, or something.

Mac Maven
3rd of September 2001 (Mon), 18:12
dbookbinder wrote:
Somebody on the dpreview forum has figured out the AVI to MPEG stuff and has also gathered together links to software to do the job. His page:

http://puntkomma.dhs.org/tutorial
This solved all my problems. I now have my mini-movies on my iPaq handheld device! Thanks!!!