PDA

View Full Version : Photography brotherhood?

Vetteography
14th of April 2005 (Thu), 16:37
I was up on top of a parking garage today and had a couple of people approach me. One was a security guard :D but I had the requisite permission and the other was a complete stranger with questions about my camera. Turns out, he had a 300 in his truck along with some sweet L glass and wanted to see what the 350 was like. Hell of a nice guy too. We talked cameras for a while and he even let me use his glass to shoot a couple of shots and he shot one of me to show me how much better the L glass was than my kit lens.

It was weird, but in a good way. It was cool to meet another avid shutterbug and it left me feeling good about the hobby and those who are involved in it.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

tim
14th of April 2005 (Thu), 17:41
I've found most photographers are usually friendly with people that share their obsession, so long as they're not busy working at the time.

Moppie
14th of April 2005 (Thu), 22:02
Iv had some similar experiances.

Iv used a 1d up in the skytower that belonged to a real keen amature.
I just started talking to him while we were shooting beside each other. He was also shooting slides, so he poped my CF card into his 1d and let me take a few shots while he shot some slides.

Carzee
17th of April 2005 (Sun), 23:11
Sunday afternoon I was in my uniform and on duty, playing in the small band, in public. The location was a busy tourist attraction and it was for PR. So here I was, with my unit, being photographed myself, and by all and sundry asian tourists that are all getting off the fleet of buses. I did not have my camera that day, but there's no room and anyway... one thing at a time! Its a beautiful location and in the break I wish I had room for my DSLR.

....and now here comes a shutterbug same age as me and his 10 member family from asia somewhere and... he has a 10D and a L zoom (70-200 I think) on his chest!

I greeted him and I 'told' him I had a 10D using handsigns and he had his pic taken with me. Next thing, you guessed it, he takes pix with me and the other family members.... is that brotherhood for you? When we resumed performing he shot us and circled and shot and circled and... must have filled his CF before his bus pulled out! Wish I knew where he was from, but at least we had a moment of international Digic 'brotherhood'.

There should be a Hallmark for these moments...

I should've had a business card with the website address on it...

I just read the post for spellcheck and it all sounds like a TV commercial for Canon!

LadyHawk
17th of April 2005 (Sun), 23:22
I wish I knew this when I was young and single. My Canon 70-200mm L is a POWERFUL MAN MAGNET. I recommend it for any female in the market for a husband.

Of course, they may never notice you! ;)

newrntraveler
17th of April 2005 (Sun), 23:56
Quote: "I wish I knew this when I was young and single. My Canon 70-200mm L is a POWERFUL MAN MAGNET. I recommend it for any female in the market for a husband.

Of course, they may never notice you! ;)"

You don't say Karen! Interesting observation! I guess if my ads don't work..........I could always buy some impressive lenses and see what that gets me! LOL Usually when I have my camera out, people just look at me and I can't understand why. You also get these weird changes of persona..........they think just because the camera is in their general vicinity, you're shooting them! It's quite funny actually! Makes for quite a study in human nature! :)

LadyHawk
18th of April 2005 (Mon), 00:30
I guess if my ads don't work..........I could always buy some impressive lenses and see what that gets me!:)

At least you'll end up with some great lenses! And if Mr. Right comes along... well, that would be a nice accessory too. ;)

bachscuttler
18th of April 2005 (Mon), 00:42
Anyone else have experiences like this?

I just have a humle A95 but have ordered a Rebel XT.
My experience is that in person, snappers are only too happy to chat and give advice.

Forums can be sometimes a different matter.
I've had lots of help/advice/encouragement on here but there are always a few that are only too ready to ridicule you based on your equipment.

I'm looking forward to getting the 350d and getting ridiculed for having an entry level DSLR camera and a dodgy kit lens!

Wazza
18th of April 2005 (Mon), 02:03
Yes, amongst amateurs, there is a great sense of unity. I can associate with them all, and have good conversations, and share some tips etc. Only a few I walk past, have a laugh, and keep going. Like the guys using steady tripods to get sharp shots of fast race cars, NOT. All they were getting were sharp backgrounds, and a blur of car.
Professionals on the other hand are a bit different. Try and strike a conversation.. Very difficult. They'll take one look at your equipment, realise you're just shooting for fun, and snub you. First time ever I managed to speak to a professional on Friday, and had some shots of race cars, compared settings, had a good talk for a couple of hours. He's shooting for a magazine. Disappointing, not everyone can show a little more social skills.

Overall, it's great how most of us can get on. A 70-200L could certainly help. That's how I started conversation with the professional on Friday. Asked if it was a 70-200 2.8.. (I could read the label). And a 1D Mk II... Nice. But being a nice young photographer, he took the time to go over my gear, and was surprised my 20D, 17-40L, Sigma 70-300, was all mine. "Very nice for an amateur" were his words. Surprisingly he wishes for his own equipment like that, as his magazine company owns the gear he shoots on.

Try shooting a beach at sunset, and after with a tripod, it seems everyone walking past will have a comment. :)

Keep the fun happening photographers!

Jesper
18th of April 2005 (Mon), 03:21
I wish I knew this when I was young and single. My Canon 70-200mm L is a POWERFUL MAN MAGNET. I recommend it for any female in the market for a husband.

Of course, they may never notice you! ;) :lol: I'm young and single.... unfortunately it doesn't seem to work the other way around, I've never had a girl approach me to ask about my big lens..... :p :lol:

Cadwell
18th of April 2005 (Mon), 03:43
Professionals on the other hand are a bit different. Try and strike a conversation.. Very difficult. They'll take one look at your equipment, realise you're just shooting for fun, and snub you.

That's not my experience at all, you just have to pick the right moment to talk to the pros... you have to realise that whilst amateurs are there shooting for fun, the professionals are working and what they're doing puts food on their table.

I don't know what you do for a living, but when I'm doing my day job, busy working to a deadline and some random stranger walks up looking for chat... well lets just say that I am polite but don't try to encourage the interruption even if we do share an interest (and no, I'm not a pro photographer).

Moppie
18th of April 2005 (Mon), 03:54
I've had lots of help/advice/encouragement on here but there are always a few that are only too ready to ridicule you based on your equipment.

Iv never seen anyone rediculed for thier equipment here, infact its usualy the opposite :)

Pros can be tricky to talk to, as Cadwell said you have to pick the right moment. But thats the same with any proffesion. You don't talk to the bus driver while he's negotiating a narrow road.

And there is something about a women with a camera, especialy when its bigger than mine :o;)

FlyingPete
19th of April 2005 (Tue), 18:42
I was down at the airport with my daughter who loves planes. I took the camera long for a couple of shots, just for fun. Whilst there I noticed another young guy turn up with a 300D with his fathers 35-105 on it. I got talking, and they were from down the line, and make a day trip to the Airport from time to time. He had a go of my 75-300 for a few landings, I know what he is saving up for now! (should have tried to sell him mine!).

Carzee
19th of April 2005 (Tue), 18:58
Excellent stuff. Canon should mail you a MVP award for your wall!