PDA

View Full Version : Domke size question...

lakesidechadwick
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 13:01
Hi. I searched last night and found some really good reviews, and really great insight into a couple bags, and I hate to be the guy that asks the question that has been answered a million times, but here goes nothing...

I am going to a MLB game next week, and am looking for a discreet bag to have with me. I currently own a Domke F-4 AF, which I love... I use it as my primary bag, but I was hoping to have something a little more svelte to take to the game... Let me give a list of what I would like to have with me...

Either a 40D gripped, or my 5D gripped, still undecided exactly which body will make the trip.

70-200 IS 2.8

24-105 IS

Couple batteries and a card holder.

That is basically it. I am obviously going to use the 70-200 to get shots during the game, but wanted to 24-105 for some random shots, like me in front of field...I would like to take the 24-70, but "the brick" is going to be too much...

I have eyeballed the F-3, but regardless of my reading the reviews and onlne dimensions, I am unable to mentally picture how much space I would be saving over having my F-4...

I love the Domke bags, but would be open to just about any brand...

I would like to express thanks, in advance, for contructive input and any help I receive.

Mike

krb
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 13:10
I'm in the same boat. I have a gripped 40D and an F4 AF and would like something lower profile. The problem is the grip, which rules out most of the thinner bags.

From looking at other Domke bags in a local store, I think the F6 might be an option, but isn't really that much smaller. They didn't have an F3 in stock but again I don't think it's enough smaller to justify buying.

lakesidechadwick
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 13:24
I was looking at the f-stop bags, but the size of the only one that looks like it would hold the gear would be the Bard, which appears to actually be bigger than the F-4 af...great looking bags though!!

I wouldn't be opposed to not having a lens on the camera while going into the stadium.. I know that helps a little bit...I need to make a wise choice, because this will be bag number 7 or so!!! Wife has been "understanding" up to this point!!

Jon
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 13:46
I'd say lose the grip for the day and use either an F-803 or maybe the F-5XC. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the F-4 and F3 in size. They've got some newer ones which I haven't got a handle on yet; they may fall in between.

lakesidechadwick
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 14:07
I'd say lose the grip for the day and use either an F-803 or maybe the F-5XC. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the F-4 and F3 in size. They've got some newer ones which I haven't got a handle on yet; they may fall in between.

That is a great idea, Jon...Thank you...I didn't think about that. I use the grip and always state as such, because I use RRS L-plates on my cameras for tripod shooting, but I do not believe I will be taking the tripod with me !!! I am going to check out those two now, and will check back with any questions.

JackLiu
23rd of April 2009 (Thu), 14:12
You may want to consider "think tank photo" brand bags. They're tough and have a lot of unique bags to select from. ;)

lakesidechadwick
27th of April 2009 (Mon), 12:03
I wanted to update and say that I bought the F-5XC, and will post pictures for anybody that may be interested in a similar bag...

Thank you for your help.

mufutau55
27th of April 2009 (Mon), 13:20
That will be nice.. it's always nice to see how new bags look.

Mufutau

I wanted to update and say that I bought the F-5XC, and will post pictures for anybody that may be interested in a similar bag...

Thank you for your help.

StellaBean
27th of April 2009 (Mon), 18:22

Thank you for your help.

yes please.

lakesidechadwick
5th of May 2009 (Tue), 09:38
I wanted to check back in and say that I plan on posting some pics of the bag on here...hopefully tonight.

It is a great bag, and the waxwear finish is awesome!! Not a ton of room to work with, but I wanted low profile, and I got it.

Thanks for recommendations, and I will post photos soon!

Mike