PDA

View Full Version : POTN Aussie Club #6 - What does the 'P' stand for anyway??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Backflipboy
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:09
Also a bad sign of work ahead when you have 22gb of full cards in your pocket :|
Someone's going to have a lot of post processing work to do by the sounds of things.

Mark
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:15
I knew how bad it would be/is but I was thrown off by the lighting when I was shotting on Friday night. Terrible stage lighting. I love using it during the day though :) I used it at my cousin's hockey match once. Friday night under lights, I was getting a bare minimum 1/300 ISO 3200 f/2.8 with a bit of -EC to get that 1/300! The photos weren't too bad, this one is obviously downsized with LR NR and probably a bit of USM or LR export sharpening (not the detail sharpening):

So in the right conditions, the high ISO is definitely usable, I don't hestitate. It's just that the gig on Friday was nothing close to the right conditions :lol: I probably won't end up doing too much with the photos as I told the guy who organised it (and who opened the show with a two-piece act) that the lights were pretty bad.

Edit: Here's another ISO 3200 example, this time from indoors basketball. A bit worse and a bit underexposed again but I had to do what I had to do.

Oh yeah, the 1D1 is sweet as :)
But like everything, just needs good light (even if it is dim good light like the hockey)...

Someone's going to have a lot of post processing work to do by the sounds of things.

Yep :| LR's still ingesting them now....

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:19
Oh yeah, the 1D1 is sweet as :)
But like everything, just needs good light (even if it is dim good light like the hockey)...

Yep :| LR's still ingesting them now....

Yeah, definitely. I've shot another match since then but I didn't have as much access (fences all around with only a metre to spare unlike the one I posted where there was a 3m gap) so I couldn't really try much more. Lighting was about the same though.

You should do card by card. I had 10GB from Friday night and I uploaded one card and then culled. Next card and culled. Last card and culled. Now I've got the 400 photos together and I'm over it! :lol: I want to shoot something tomorrow but there's nothing on a Tuesday. Sometimes I feel like just pulling out some clothes and doing an impromptu self portrait session but it's a bit hard with a dodgy tripod, no remote and one flash :lol:

Edit: What's the 22GB from anyway? More sport or an event or something? Which reminds me, those footy photos were good, captured the action well, but they seemed softish?

mcminty
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:20
Totally random question, but does anyone know where I might be able to get a Howie style lab coat in Sydney? I'm going to a supervillain/superhero party on friday.. and I want to go as Dr. Horrible. The thing looks like this:

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080724/must-list/dr-horrible_l.jpg

:lol:

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:23
Totally random question, but does anyone know where I might be able to get a Howie style lab coat in Sydney? I'm going to a supervillain/superhero party on friday.. and I want to go as Dr. Horrible. The thing looks like this:

:lol: The only thing I can think of is find a monk, jump them and steal their clothes!

Mark
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:26
Yeah, definitely. I've shot another match since then but I didn't have as much access (fences all around with only a metre to spare unlike the one I posted where there was a 3m gap) so I couldn't really try much more. Lighting was about the same though.

You should do card by card. I had 10GB from Friday night and I uploaded one card and then culled. Next card and culled. Last card and culled. Now I've got the 400 photos together and I'm over it! :lol: I want to shoot something tomorrow but there's nothing on a Tuesday. Sometimes I feel like just pulling out some clothes and doing an impromptu self portrait session but it's a bit hard with a dodgy tripod, no remote and one flash :lol:

Edit: What's the 22GB from anyway? More sport or an event or something? Which reminds me, those footy photos were good, captured the action well, but they seemed softish?
Yeah, I normally chuck everything into LR, reject all the OOF ones, and flag all the picks...

Sometimes I feel like that too, but the world would be better without self portraits of me ;)

It's from a house cross country comp today, really really rainy and windy, hope the pictures aren't bad, didn't get time to even chimp much:eek: Thanks, they always tend to get a bit soft when you compress them to around 150k, I don't know why I do that, it's just what I've got a script set up to do (800 long edge optimise for 150K)...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Yellow pages costume shops?

Backflipboy
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:31
Totally random question, but does anyone know where I might be able to get a Howie style lab coat in Sydney? I'm going to a supervillain/superhero party on friday.. and I want to go as Dr. Horrible.
I think that costume shops would probably be your first step in finding that particular style of lab coat - even with the plethora of reality TV shows around, I have never seen anything like that in real life. Your last resort is to find someone willing to adapt a regular coat.

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:33
Yeah, I normally chuck everything into LR, reject all the OOF ones, and flag all the picks...

Sometimes I feel like that too, but the world would be better without self portraits of me ;)

It's from a house cross country comp today, really really rainy and windy, hope the pictures aren't bad, didn't get time to even chimp much:eek: Thanks, they always tend to get a bit soft when you compress them to around 150k, I don't know why I do that, it's just what I've got a script set up to do (800 long edge optimise for 150K)...
I flag anything I want to delete, colour label ones that stand out and then filter by flag and remove all of them from LR.

That's exactly how I feel :lol: Even if I want to, I know I won't!

22GB is a fair effort from a cross country comp, have fun :p I export from LR with 500 long edge plus sharpen for screen at standard. All I do in PS is add my name to the corner and it's up on flickr. In the folder that has most of my flickr files, 258 items equals 38MB with the biggest being 290KB and the smallest 74KB. My way of exporting has changed recently so I'm more consistently around 150KB+ but top quality.

Mark
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:43
I flag anything I want to delete, colour label ones that stand out and then filter by flag and remove all of them from LR.

That's exactly how I feel :lol: Even if I want to, I know I won't!

22GB is a fair effort from a cross country comp, have fun :p I export from LR with 500 long edge plus sharpen for screen at standard. All I do in PS is add my name to the corner and it's up on flickr. In the folder that has most of my flickr files, 258 items equals 38MB with the biggest being 290KB and the smallest 74KB. My way of exporting has changed recently so I'm more consistently around 150KB+ but top quality.

:lol: just reject bad ones (X key) :lol:
Currently I keep all the raws, I should change that soon enough though as my 2009 500GB drive only has 44GB left already :|
With images, over the holidays I reckon I'm gonna set up my computer that is now acting as a server to my domain name (properly, not like now) and get some sort of mail server going (maybe just install OSX server, then I can do user profiles too) since I should be sufficiently bored as well as maybe put a site up, but probably not that bit as I am lazy when it comes to writing and non-mathey/sciency stuff ;) then I can just put highish quality on there....

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:48
:lol: just reject bad ones (X key) :lol:
Currently I keep all the raws, I should change that soon enough though as my 2009 500GB drive only has 44GB left already :|
With images, over the holidays I reckon I'm gonna set up my computer that is now acting as a server to my domain name (properly, not like now) and get some sort of mail server going (maybe just install OSX server, then I can do user profiles too) since I should be sufficiently bored as well as maybe put a site up, but probably not that bit as I am lazy when it comes to writing and non-mathey/sciency stuff ;) then I can just put highish quality on there....
How do you sort it so you can delete all the rejected ones though? :p

I export everything as a DNG from LR unless it's a JPEG originally or if I need a DNG copy for some reason. I've got all my photos on the desktop's 500GB drive. My whole folder only takes up 75GB but it's increased a lot since 2009. Not much room left on the 500GB (it's shared) so I'll have to move over to the 1TB drive soon :lol: Haven't backed up in a while either... oops!

photobitz
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:54

Maybe a chef's tunic...? Some of them button up on the shoulder like that but they aren't full length. I think that one is actually a mortician's coat.

I think it would be the oversized gloves and welding goggles that make the costume anyway.

Mark
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:55

I export everything as a DNG from LR unless it's a JPEG originally or if I need a DNG copy for some reason. I've got all my photos on the desktop's 500GB drive. My whole folder only takes up 75GB but it's increased a lot since 2009. Not much room left on the 500GB (it's shared) so I'll have to move over to the 1TB drive soon :lol: Haven't backed up in a while either... oops!

All Photographs, grid view, filter by attribute, rejected ;) I *should* delete all of them (They are the OOF/buggered ones, not the non picked ones which are often fine but not as good, community relations might still want them)

You do what??
Export as DNG unless you need a DNG :lol::p:lol:

Yeah, maybe you should get into the habit of backing up! I have had two harddrive failures, one on a photo drive and one on a boot drive, all backed up so no damage done.... Hell, today I took my two external photo backups with me since I knew there was a storm just for peace of mind....

BTW my previews file has grown to 70GB alone!! I really must get rid of the old 1:1 previews.... Just another thing to do when I am bored back from sydney....

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 10:59
All Photographs, grid view, filter by attribute, rejected ;) I *should* delete all of them (They are the OOF/buggered ones, not the non picked ones which are often fine but not as good, community relations might still want them)

You do what??
Export as DNG unless you need a DNG :lol::p:lol:

Yeah, maybe you should get into the habit of backing up! I have had two harddrive failures, one on a photo drive and one on a boot drive, all backed up so no damage done.... Hell, today I took my two external photo backups with me since I knew my house was suss(leaks etc) and there was a storm just for peace of mind....

I might start rejecting from now on :p

It was worded badly wasn't it :lol: If it's a JPEG originally and I feel like I might need a DNG, I'll keep one. I don't know, we all have our weird habits :lol:

I'll back everything up tomorrow. I can't even be bothered going through the batch from Friday again to make sure everything's ok. Probably don't need to but anyway...

Mark
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 11:04
I might start rejecting from now on :p

It was worded badly wasn't it :lol: If it's a JPEG originally and I feel like I might need a DNG, I'll keep one. I don't know, we all have our weird habits :lol:

I'll back everything up tomorrow. I can't even be bothered going through the batch from Friday again to make sure everything's ok. Probably don't need to but anyway...
Haha, I remember the first time I used LR having come from Aperture, thinking all the PP it could do was those little buttons in the library :oops:

I still don't get what you are saying, DNG is a sort of a Adobe open RAW format... Converting from JPEG to DNG won't gain anything AFAIK... :lol:

Yeah man, definately back everything up, I normally do it after I download the photos (procrastinate ;)) or if it is a smaller batch or one I am keen on doing after I have edited...

photobitz
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 11:04
BTW, I advise not using the word "morgue" in a google images search. I don't think I'm going to sleep well tonight.

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 11:09
Haha, I remember the first time I used LR having come from Aperture, thinking all the PP it could do was those little buttons in the library :oops:

I still don't get what you are saying, DNG is a sort of a Adobe open RAW format... Converting from JPEG to DNG won't gain anything AFAIK... :lol:

Yeah man, definately back everything up, I normally do it after I download the photos (procrastinate ;)) or if it is a smaller batch or one I am keen on doing after I have edited...
I went straight to Lightroom for PP, I never liked Photoshop for what I actually wanted to do :p And I went to develop :)

It won't really gain anything but sometimes I add more to the JPEG, more contrast or whatever. And you can't undo that so I just keep a DNG in case. Not really worth it but oh well :lol:

I do it once a month usually but I don't think I've done it in nearly two because of school work piling up. Only a few more months and it's all over!

Mark
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 11:32
BTW, I advise not using the word "morgue" in a google images search. I don't think I'm going to sleep well tonight.
Ummm yeah, google images can be bad at times if you put the wrong things in :confused:
I went straight to Lightroom for PP, I never liked Photoshop for what I actually wanted to do :p And I went to develop :)

It won't really gain anything but sometimes I add more to the JPEG, more contrast or whatever. And you can't undo that so I just keep a DNG in case. Not really worth it but oh well :lol:

I do it once a month usually but I don't think I've done it in nearly two because of school work piling up. Only a few more months and it's all over!

I started using LR way back before I knew what RAW or M were... :lol:
Oh, I never knew that about JPEGs in LR! I don't shoot JPEG much so I guess I don't have much experience though...

Just get a program like Superduper or Chronosync but for windows, then when you have imported or finished processing just press sync.... ;)

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 11:51
I started using LR way back before I knew what RAW or M were... :lol:
Oh, I never knew that about JPEGs in LR! I don't shoot JPEG much so I guess I don't have much experience though...

:lol: I meant after I've exported to a JPEG. I might want to go back to a photo but without as much of this or that but if I didn't have a DNG, I wouldn't be able to :p

I'm off to bed. Rain in the tennis and I don't feel like sorting through photos at 2am!

mickeyjuice
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 17:34

Ctrl-Backspace

Greg_C
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 17:38
Anyone like spiders.....

http://www.steadyhands.net/photogallery/albums/temp/2009/image45097.jpg

tangcla
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 17:41
So... who wants in on a potential group buy of the carbonfibre iPhone casing? I'm going to be organising it soon. I want one , before my iPhone gets scratched :(

mcminty
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 19:21
So... who wants in on a potential group buy of the carbonfibre iPhone casing? I'm going to be organising it soon. I want one , before my iPhone gets scratched :(
Yeah, I'd get one..

... If someone else gets me an iphone. :lol:

Those cases do look pretty cool :)

S7000
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 19:32
Anyone like spiders.....

Nice shot Greg. Those fangs are massive! :lol:

Has anyone installed a split screen focus screen on their xxxD. Is it easy to do? Where's the best place to get one too?

Greg_C
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 19:36
Nice shot Greg. Those fangs are massive! :lol:

Has anyone installed a split screen focus screen on their xxxD. Is it easy to do? Where's the best place to get one too?
Thanks

Had one on my 40D, not the best for macro stuff, but great for general shooting. For macro it was too cluttered in the view finder.

S7000
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 19:39
Thanks

Had one on my 40D, not the best for macro stuff, but great for general shooting. For macro it was too cluttered in the view finder.

Will AF still be available for my Canon lenses? I understand I'll be losing the markings...

Edit: Don't worry, read further into it all. Looks like a katz eye is going to be the go.

ofdphoto
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 20:34
Morning all.

It's been a great day so far. My 24mm TS-E arrived (used but looks new) and I'm about to order a 5D2 to replace the 1D3 I just sold :) I know it's only gear, but I'm hoping the 5D2 arrives in time for baby. Just in case I feel like making some video early on.

fungry
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 20:37
Exciting times ahead Luke :)

deletedpenguin
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 20:38
^ Very exciting. When is the baby due?

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 20:59
Ctrl-Backspace

I think I should have another read of the shortcuts PDF :lol: I haven't read it for a while but I thought I found all the ones useful to me.. Obviously not. Thanks Mic.

Edit: even just to make my workflow simpler and quicker. I never knew the library could sort by attribute. I think I need a good go at finding out some more good things from Lightroom.

ofdphoto
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 21:14
Baby is now full-term, so due anytime in the next 4 weeks :)

tangcla
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 21:35
Morning all.

It's been a great day so far. My 24mm TS-E arrived (used but looks new) and I'm about to order a 5D2 to replace the 1D3 I just sold :) I know it's only gear, but I'm hoping the 5D2 arrives in time for baby. Just in case I feel like making some video early on.
Welcome to gearmongering ;) HAHAHAHAHAHA

ofdphoto
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 22:03
Gearmongering?

TBH, I don't get particularly excited by gear anymore. I *do* get excited about creating images with it tho.

photobitz
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 22:40
Morning all.

We bought a video camera for that reason too (I'm talking about 7 years ago...) Used it occasionally for our son growing up. It's kind of strange looking back at that footage because he looks completely different now. Unfortunately we didn't record anything of my daughter which is a bit of a shame because she was so cute. OK, she's still cute but now she has an attitude...
I did take lots of pictures though. A bit of video still would have been good. Ah well... maybe for the next one.

tangcla
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 22:48
Gearmongering?

TBH, I don't get particularly excited by gear anymore. I *do* get excited about creating images with it tho.

I joke, I joke. I know, there is a difference betwen purely obtaining gear and using the obtained gear.

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 22:48
We bought a video camera for that reason too (I'm talking about 7 years ago...) Used it occasionally for our son growing up. It's kind of strange looking back at that footage because he looks completely different now. Unfortunately we didn't record anything of my daughter which is a bit of a shame because she was so cute. OK, she's still cute but now she has an attitude...
I did take lots of pictures though. A bit of video still would have been good. Ah well... maybe for the next one.

My parents bought a JVC one for us and my sister earlier this year. My nephew is 6 months old now and I don't think ours has been used more than twice for anything, once for him. Not sure about my sisters one but I don't think it would be too often.

On a side note, my parents were sold on the JVC ones because the guy at JB Hifi told them of the low light capabilities. The lens opens all the way up to f/3.5 :eek: I wanted to have a go at using it but surprise, surprise.. video didn't interest me as much as photography :lol:

Edit: Oh and my sister has taken so many shots with her P&S of my nephew. Never stops getting them printed either.

photobitz
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:01
My parents bought a JVC one for us and my sister earlier this year. My nephew is 6 months old now and I don't think ours has been used more than twice for anything, once for him. Not sure about my sisters one but I don't think it would be too often.

On a side note, my parents were sold on the JVC ones because the guy at JB Hifi told them of the low light capabilities. The lens opens all the way up to f/3.5 :eek: I wanted to have a go at using it but surprise, surprise.. video didn't interest me as much as photography :lol:

Edit: Oh and my sister has taken so many shots with her P&S of my nephew. Never stops getting them printed either.

Yeah, I know... it isn't something I'm that into either but it's nice to have something to look back at especially to see how they used to talk and behave before school ruined them. :lol:

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:05
Yeah, I know... it isn't something I'm that into either but it's nice to have something to look back at especially to see how they used to talk and behave before school ruined them. :lol:
Haha yeah. I might get our one out later today when he's home. I'd be a lot more interested if it were with a 5D2 :lol: not that I have an 85L to shoot at ridiculous apertures like f/1.2 :p

photobitz
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:16
Mine has an IR night-vision mode so I can use that if it gets too dark. Of course it makes everyone look like a zombie...

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:26
:lol: That'd be funny as.

I've just been informed that I can get a Sigma 24-70/2.8 for $500. Are there any problems with that lens like the Sigma 70-200/2.8 which people say to stay away from the macro version or something like that?

Edit: At that price I'd say it's the cheaper non-HSM model. More research is needed I think. Might pass.

mickeyjuice
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:27
I think I should have another read of the shortcuts PDF :lol:

I read it every few weeks. Never hurts.

Anyone signed up at Kelby Training? I'm thinking of giving it a go for a couple of months and seeing how we go.

mickeyjuice
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:31
I've just been informed that I can get a Sigma 24-70/2.8 for $500. Are there any problems with that lens like the Sigma 70-200/2.8 which people say to stay away from the macro version or something like that?

Never heard anything like that - I've got the first 70-200 and my mate has the newer (macro) one and they're both excellent.

A mate has the Sigma 24-70 and it's excellent.

deletedpenguin
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:36
Never heard anything like that - I've got the first 70-200 and my mate has the newer (macro) one and they're both excellent.

I've got the Sigma 24-70 as well. The focus motor went on me at one point (my own fault though), but otherwise it has been a great lens, especially once it was fixed. ;)

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:37

Maybe it's just Canon fan boy's on here then :p I'd read it a lot in comparisons when I was researching to buy my 70-200.

I might get it but at the same time, Dan's 17-35 is interesting because it's obviously a lot wider and sometimes I feel like the 24 prime that I've got now isn't wide enough. But Dan's 17-35 is more expensive and I probably would prefer it but I can't afford to save up and spend the extra, whereas I can afford to spend the little I'd have to put on to get the Sigma.

I'm still not sure if the 24-70 is the Macro or HSM version, the HSM model was only announced last year and it's worth $1300 new so the one I'm looking at is probably the Macro, $800 new. Which Sigma has your mate got?

Edit: Which do you have Stefan? HSM or Macro?

photobitz
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:39

Yeah, I'd investigate further. Some of those Sigma lenses are excellent glass. There's been a few versions of the 24-70 but from memory they are all supposed to be pretty good.

deletedpenguin
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:40
I've got the macro version, ie. el cheapo. :) I've been looking at the Canon 24-70L, but I can't justify it yet.

mickeyjuice
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:41
Maybe it's just Canon fan boy's on here then :p I'd read it a lot in comparisons when I was researching to buy my 70-200.
You know, I've used a few Sigma 70-200s, and they've all been terrific. The great thing about the Internet is for people to be able to comment on things they've never used, but "have read somewhere", which leads to undeserved bad reputations.

I'm still not sure if the 24-70 is the Macro or HSM version, the HSM model was only announced last year and it's worth $1300 new so the one I'm looking at is probably the Macro, $800 new. Which Sigma has your mate got?

No idea, I just shot with it :-)

(Yes, I know that's bad for a reputation, not taking down the model details and committing them to memory :-)

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:44
You know, I've used a few Sigma 70-200s, and they've all been terrific. The great thing about the Internet is for people to be able to comment on things they've never used, but "have read somewhere", which leads to undeserved bad reputations.

No idea, I just shot with it :-)

(Yes, I know that's bad for a reputation, not taking down the model details and committing them to memory :-)

Yeah, I'm guilty of that with the Sigma 70-200 and a lot of the things I read were probably the same thing :lol:

Sounds like it's worth it over the 24 prime I've got now for how little I'll have to put in. Thanks guys.

photobitz
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:47
Check this... FM Review (http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=97&sort=7&cat=37&page=2)

There's been 170 something reviews posted so you should get a pretty good idea of what it can do. (Bear in mind some people will be reviewing the Minolta/Nikon/Pentax version of the lens)

I'm afraid I've given up on non-HSM/USM lenses even if they do produce nice images. I just can't live without FTM focus. Depends how and what you shoot though I guess...

The Moose
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:52
I love USM on my 70-200 but I've dealt with the 24 not having USM for a while so I don't mind not having it as long as I'm gaining the zoom range without losing f/2.8. I'd love a Canon 24-70 :lol:

deletedpenguin
29th of June 2009 (Mon), 23:52
^ That's my biggest complaint about it - but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. It does produce nice images, and when I find a good deal on the HSM version, or the Canon L version, I'll upgrade.

alexanderGARDNER
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 00:42
I picked up my 24-70 2.8 Macro for $450. Brilliant lens.

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 00:48
Feeling more and more confident about this now then :) Thanks Al!

Michael
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 00:51
Some more from Melbourne off a card which I forgot to download...

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/Sinkrate/IMG_5990.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/Sinkrate/IMG_6262.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/Sinkrate/IMG_6462.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/Sinkrate/IMG_6482.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/Sinkrate/IMG_6514.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm240/Sinkrate/IMG_6548.jpg

alexanderGARDNER
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 00:56
Feeling more and more confident about this now then :) Thanks Al!

No wukkas. I bought it with the intention of moving to FF but it's served so well on the 400D. The AF on the 400 lets it down though because when it's sharp, it's tack sharp but a little bit off target and your image is toast.

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 01:07
No wukkas. I bought it with the intention of moving to FF but it's served so well on the 400D. The AF on the 400 lets it down though because when it's sharp, it's tack sharp but a little bit off target and your image is toast.

From what I saw in the sample thread, the Sigma does really well on full frame. I'll be happy if it focuses where I want it to, to be honest :p It seems a good lens.

tangcla
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 01:19
From what I saw in the sample thread, the Sigma does really well on full frame. I'll be happy if it focuses where I want it to, to be honest :p It seems a good lens.
That's what I thought with the 85L... except it's SOOO SLOW to get it to focus where I want :p

alexanderGARDNER
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 01:23
The Macro is fast. A bit noisy if you come from a USM or HSM equipped lens. ;)

deletedpenguin
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 01:25
The Macro is fast. A bit noisy if you come from a USM or HSM equipped lens. ;)

Yeah, it focuses very fast - albeit noisy. But that doesn't bother me, for the time being.

mickeyjuice
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 01:33
That's what I thought with the 85L... except it's SOOO SLOW to get it to focus where I want :p

Always complaining!

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 01:33
Would focus noise really turn you off a lens? Can it be that bad?

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 01:47
I can put up with the nifty fifty so I don't mind. But the problem with the noise of that is that when it's noisy, it isn't focusing :lol: The Sigma is noisy but fast and accurate most of the time according to a lot of the reviews on FM. I can stand it :)

fungry
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 02:02
If it is fast and loud, I don't mind but with my experience, they are never together. Usually slow and loud like the 50 1.8 I tried.

deletedpenguin
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 02:32

It's not terrible, but I suppose it's all relative. It's a high pitch screech, on my lens.

Michael
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 02:39
No one likes my photos? :(

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:09
I can put up with the nifty fifty so I don't mind. But the problem with the noise of that is that when it's noisy, it isn't focusing :lol: The Sigma is noisy but fast and accurate most of the time according to a lot of the reviews on FM. I can stand it :)

Being noisy doesn't mean not focusing. :p My 24-70 fights me sometimes.

If it is fast and loud, I don't mind but with my experience, they are never together. Usually slow and loud like the 50 1.8 I tried.

Never heard the 50 1.8. Maybe I should test it out one day.

It's not terrible, but I suppose it's all relative. It's a high pitch screech, on my lens.

Never heard a high pitch screech from a lens. My 70-200 can get pretty clunky with the IS sometimes.

Looking good. I especially like the river shot and the colours out of the engine shot. :lol:

Speaking of tax:

Sunrise this morning. Unfortunately I have a tree and a row of houses in front of me. :(

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/prischlfam/IMG_6112.jpg

Was mainly going for the sky colours (which ended up being behind the tree anyways :() and just testing out the 28mm Vivitar. Focus wasn't too bad really. A little soft, but should get better with practice.

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:10

Can't be as bad as that Tamron 18-50/2.8. That thing squeels like a stuck pig. SCREEEEEEEECCCHK!!

Awww poor Michael feeling unappreciated :p

I like em. Except I don't understand some of them. What's the first one? And there's that other one that lookslike the top of a step ladder covered in Nutella or something...?!?!?

JustinLawrence
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:11
Anyone like spiders.....

Nice spidey macro!

Morning all.

Omg i should have pitched that idea to my wife earlier, 5D2 for baby video! anything baby related generally gets approved within 2 working days ;)

Love the night shot, looks dangerously sharp. Airplane one is cool too.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. Happy to help out mate, send it my way for a couple of weeks. ..... please?

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:14
Distance makes the heart grow fonder. Happy to help out mate, send it my way for a couple of weeks. ..... please?

You know that never works. :p

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:16
Omg i should have pitched that idea to my wife earlier, 5D2 for baby video! anything baby related generally gets approved within 2 working days ;)

ROFL!!! Better fill out the cap-ex request quick!

Greg_C
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:16
Nice spidey macro!
Thanks,

and now for something totally different.

http://www.steadyhands.net/photogallery/albums/temp/2009/image45082.jpg

fungry
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:18
Beautiful Greg, how long was the exposure?

Michael
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:18
Looking good. I especially like the river shot and the colours out of the engine shot. :lol:
Cheers Phil... :)

Awww poor Michael feeling unappreciated :p

I like em. Except I don't understand some of them. What's the first one? And there's that other one that lookslike the top of a step ladder covered in Nutella or something...?!?!?
Hehe, first one was just something I found interesting while coming in to Melbourne I think... And yeah, you caught me out, nutella and step ladders hehe. It's just some metal chairs outside a shot somewhere.. :p

Love the night shot, looks dangerously sharp. Airplane one is cool too.

Cheers Justin.

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:20
Being noisy doesn't mean not focusing. :p My 24-70 fights me sometimes.

I meant that the 50/1.8 is noisy AND slow. When it locks on it's great though. Amazingly sharp at f/2.8, even f/2.5 it's pretty good.

S7000
Thanks,

Isn't it completely different?

Where abouts where you?

Greg_C
Beautiful Greg, how long was the exposure?
Thanks, 1sec @f22

Greg_C
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:21
Isn't it completely different?

Where abouts where you?
Well different from my macro shot that is.

Kondallia Falls on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, about 2hr drive from Brissie.

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:24
Well different from my macro shot that is.

Kondallia Falls on the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, about 2hr drive from Brissie.

Don't mind me, Monty Pythons crack. :lol:

Yeh nice. I'm yet to find a good waterfall nearish to Sydney. Granted I haven't looked extremely hard, but I'm yet to even hear of one. :(

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:28

Yeh nice. I'm yet to find a good waterfall nearish to Sydney. Granted I haven't looked extremely hard, but I'm yet to even hear of one. :(

You serious? There's plenty. Obviously not IN the city but if you're willing to take a 2hr drive...

Greg_C
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:30

I actually had Python in mind also.

To rub it in I can probably find more than 10 waterfalls within a 2hr drive. I've been to about 4 I think. Good project I guess.

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:37
You serious? There's plenty. Obviously not IN the city but if you're willing to take a 2hr drive...

I haven't ventured 2 hours out as of yet. My problem is if I end up going for a drive I'm too busy driving to get out and shoot. If I go out shooting, I try not to drive.

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:48
I actually had Python in mind also.

To rub it in I can probably find more than 10 waterfalls within a 2hr drive. I've been to about 4 I think. Good project I guess.

Well yeah. 2Hrs travel time should give a fair bit of travel distance especially in Brissy.

I haven't ventured 2 hours out as of yet. My problem is if I end up going for a drive I'm too busy driving to get out and shoot. If I go out shooting, I try not to drive.

Get on the M7 and head out west to the mountains for a day. There's several decent falls out that way. Or, you can drive south and there's plenty down here too.

Greg_C
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 03:54
Well yeah. 2Hrs travel time should give a fair bit of travel distance especially in Brissy.

Get on the M7 and head out west to the mountains for a day. There's several decent falls out that way. Or, you can drive south and there's plenty down here too.
Surprising really. Some places are within 100km but due to the twisty roads it takes a while to get there ie up in Lamington National Park.

AdamC
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 04:38

Yup, especially the last one

Never heard the 50 1.8.

WHIRRR CLUNK WHIRRR CLUNK

Its AF is pretty poor in low light - it tends to run from one end to the other, banging against the end and making you think it's going to destroy itself.

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 04:44
Will AF still be available for my Canon lenses? I understand I'll be losing the markings...

Edit: Don't worry, read further into it all. Looks like a katz eye is going to be the go.
Yeah, the AF has nothing to do with the focusing screen, it might stuff up spot metering though....
Exciting times ahead Luke :)
+1 :)

I might get it but at the same time, Dan's 17-35 is interesting because it's obviously a lot wider and sometimes I feel like the 24 prime that I've got now isn't wide enough. But Dan's 17-35 is more expensive and I probably would prefer it but I can't afford to save up and spend the extra, whereas I can afford to spend the little I'd have to put on to get the Sigma.

Edit: Which do you have Stefan? HSM or Macro?
Go for the 24-70 if your plan is 1.3 or FF and 17-35 range if it is 1.6 IMO...
I found shooting the 17-40 and 70-200 excruciating on the mk III for some reason... (I dunno, just the FL gap was right in the spot I find myself using a lot)
There is nothing wrong with the sigma 24-70... There might be some more copies which focus bad than the canons, but if you check the one you are buying you should be happy with it... I went for the Canon more for the sealing and USM than anything else
Looks good michael...
Can't be as bad as that Tamron 18-50/2.8. That thing squeels like a stuck pig. SCREEEEEEEECCCHK!!

+1, the noise was AWFUL but it made good pictures and was really cheap ;)
Thanks,

Looks great! :)

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 04:47
Surprising really. Some places are within 100km but due to the twisty roads it takes a while to get there ie up in Lamington National Park.

LOL. Yeah. We took a drive up there a few years ago when we did a trip to the Gold Coast. Took so long driving up the mountain I had to stop halfway up and check the map to make sure I was on the right road!

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 04:52
Go for the 24-70 if your plan is 1.3 or FF and 17-35 range if it is 1.6 IMO...
I found shooting the 17-40 and 70-200 excruciating on the mk III for some reason... (I dunno, just the FL gap was right in the spot I find myself using a lot)
There is nothing wrong with the sigma 24-70... There might be some more copies which focus bad than the canons, but if you check the one you are buying you should be happy with it... I went for the Canon more for the sealing and USM than anything else

I've got both 1.3x and 1.6x but I try to use the 1D as much as possible so I consider it my main body but either way, 24-70 is more versatile than 17-35. Sorry Dan! :p

I think the guy's in Melbourne and it's holidays so I should be able to try it out if we can work something out. What would I do though? Look at it for scratches, try out extreme AF tests (MFD to infinity, etc)? Look at the front element for damage?

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 04:57
+1, the noise was AWFUL but it made good pictures and was really cheap ;)

Here's a good comparison...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6NY4tFcG0

SCREEECCHHHKK SNORT!!!

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 04:58
I've got both 1.3x and 1.6x but I try to use the 1D as much as possible so I consider it my main body but either way, 24-70 is more versatile than 17-35. Sorry Dan! :p

I think the guy's in Melbourne and it's holidays so I should be able to try it out if we can work something out. What would I do though? Look at it for scratches, try out extreme AF tests (MFD to infinity, etc)? Look at the front element for damage?

No worries! :)

So I can post it on ebay then?

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 05:09
TAX finally from the gig on Friday. All of these are with the 1D classic:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/3674093319_67412fba8d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3674873750_ea5d8554c1.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2572/3674064743_7ee8d5a6ef.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/3674867498_e9bebd6f7d.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2610/3674873412_2938d9b7c9.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2610/3674867744_9ee4b9d490.jpg

The rest are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/.

No worries! :)

So I can post it on ebay then?

Should be right to now. Thanks for waiting to see what I'd do :)

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 05:11

Check it out for damage, check the whole AF range works and sounds relatively uniform (Make it go infinity to MFD and back), check MF doesn't have any weird sounds or resistance, same with zoom (just keep in mind direction you are pointing it affects the feeling of the zoom), inspect the glass (FE/RE/through the lens) for any fungus or oil or anything like that, also if there is dust in there it shouldn't affect the pictures but you might be able to negotiate it cheaper, scratches on the FE don't affect anything much at all if they are small/off centre (I was shooting my 70-200 with the FE half covered in water drops yesterday and the photos look just as good as ever!:lol:) but you can try and get it cheaper... Check if the AF is accurate (shoot stuff wide open and check it is sharp on the focus point) check the tracking... That is all the stuff you could do...

deletedpenguin
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 05:32

SCREEECCHHHKK SNORT!!!

Hmm, my Sigma 24-70 is somewhere between the EF-S 18-55 and the Tamron (not NEARLY that bad though....that thing is terrible!).

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:00
WHIRRR CLUNK WHIRRR CLUNK

Its AF is pretty poor in low light - it tends to run from one end to the other, banging against the end and making you think it's going to destroy itself.

Right right. Sounds more like a shifty fifty.

Got a couple of keepers there. Looks suspiciously like a garage though. :p

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:04
Got a couple of keepers there. Looks suspiciously like a garage though. :p

:lol: It's actually a warehouse type building that they've turned into a music studio and a stage/bar. Not a bad setup but THEY NEED MORE LIGHTS! :p Thanks Phil.

Anyone interested in my 24/2.8? Probably gonna go straight to ebay with it but just asking here in case. Nothing wrong with it at all, all those shots I just posted were with it :)

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:17

SCREEECCHHHKK SNORT!!!
Hahaha, such an annoying noise!
TAX finally from the gig on Friday. All of these are with the 1D classic
See what you mean about the main light being red! that sucks! I'd imagine they would have a lighting guy, they have enough lights to give you some decent lighting (all you should need is one par on each person left at a constant level without gel) and still have some left for effects...

Speaking of lighting, assemblies are in the hall since it is the only place big enough, control is off to the side so they can get enough people in there (as a result we only hear the SL speaker so don't notice when the cable to the SR speaker gets chewed through in the roof...) The sound desk is a dodgy Spirit which has a had a ceiling collapse on it, lighting desk is good old Axiom 24, half buggered computer (for some reason it needs a breakout cable for VGA, which keeps breaking, and keeps freezing in the middle of things...) The patch bay has non piggyback plugs :confused: You get the idea... So half way through last term one of the globes in the FoH blew... We asked the head techies to replace it, they said they'll do it in the holidays, they didn't :lol:... In the beginning of this term we had to get the 3.5m ladder we used to use to focus and small things on that rig cut up because it was illegal, so now if we wanted to change the globe we would have to winch the bar down, change the globe, winch it up and since it is a bit dodgy, see everything is focused wrong, winch it back down to refocus everything, and repeat :confused: The floor is actually a false floor that cannot support much load so we couldn't use the scissor lift even... It looks funny because the light that is dead is right where they stand when giving prizes so one guy is in dark the other light :lol:

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:27
Hahaha, such an annoying noise!

See what you mean about the main light being red! that sucks! I'd imagine they would have a lighting guy, they have enough lights to give you some decent lighting (all you should need is one par on each person left at a constant level without gel) and still have some left for effects...

Speaking of lighting, assemblies are in the hall since it is the only place big enough, control is off to the side so they can get enough people in there (as a result we only hear the SL speaker so don't notice when the cable to the SR speaker gets chewed through in the roof...) The sound desk is a dodgy Spirit which has a had a ceiling collapse on it, lighting desk is good old Axiom 24, half buggered computer (for some reason it needs a breakout cable for VGA, which keeps breaking, and keeps freezing in the middle of things...) The patch bay has non piggyback plugs :confused: You get the idea... So half way through last term one of the globes in the FoH blew... We asked the head techies to replace it, they said they'll do it in the holidays, they didn't :lol:... In the beginning of this term we had to get the 3.5m ladder we used to use to focus and small things on that rig cut up because it was illegal, so now if we wanted to change the globe we would have to winch the bar down, change the globe, winch it up and since it is a bit dodgy, see everything is focused wrong, winch it back down to refocus everything, and repeat :confused: The floor is actually a false floor that cannot support much load so we couldn't use the scissor lift even... It looks funny because the light that is dead is right where they stand when giving prizes so one guy is in dark the other light :lol:

I don't think they had a lighting guy per se, it seemed to me that they just yelled out to the sound tech to flick the switch for the lights :lol: Hopefully next time it will be better. It's not like it takes away from anything. It would add to it, really.

We have an auditorium but the lights are average for assemblies, when they use them. I can imagine they were more detailed with the lights for the musical though. Anything else is in the gym where there's a fair amount of natural light but they turn the lights on anyway. For some reason, some girl that doesn't even do media has taken one of the school's 400D's and used that with the 18-55 non-IS kit lens and shot the assemblies. Pop-up flash and all. I don't know why. I'd volunteer myself but it'd be even more boring than just sitting there pretending to listen :lol:

Backflipboy
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:39
Like all of them (especially the night one, the arcade walk and the engine) but the shot of the chair top doesn't quite do it for me.

Backflipboy
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:42
If I am going out shooting for the day, I tend to plan ahead and pick a couple of specific sites along the way to my eventual destination rather than just drive and see what pops up. If I see something else along the way that probably isn't going to disappear, I note it for another day.

Backflipboy
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:46

Personally, I'd get on the M4 and head up into the mountains - there's the Leura Cascades, Wentworth Falls lake and out at Blackheath, there's Govatts Leap which has a waterfall.

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:48
If I am going out shooting for the day, I tend to plan ahead and pick a couple of specific sites along the way to my eventual destination rather than just drive and see what pops up. If I see something else along the way that probably isn't going to disappear, I note it for another day.

Yeh, I think I also need a bigger map too. Mine's not really "greater" Sydney.

Jim G
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 06:52
Hey guys - stopping in for a moment, been way too busy to keep up of late.

I'm reluctantly selling my Domke F-3x to while I'm shuffling around my bags to end up with fewer that are more useful - for a review check my sig. This bag isn't the one in the sig, it's newer, black and has hardly seen any use. $140... goes for >$200 new from what I can find.

Mmm, the second last one is quite nice.

Thanks,

Gorgeous.

Michael... I like the second one most out of that set but I think I'd like to see less water and more sky :)

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:08
I don't think they had a lighting guy per se, it seemed to me that they just yelled out to the sound tech to flick the switch for the lights Hopefully next time it will be better. It's not like it takes away from anything. It would add to it, really.

We have an auditorium but the lights are average for assemblies, when they use them. I can imagine they were more detailed with the lights for the musical though. Anything else is in the gym where there's a fair amount of natural light but they turn the lights on anyway. For some reason, some girl that doesn't even do media has taken one of the school's 400D's and used that with the 18-55 non-IS kit lens and shot the assemblies. Pop-up flash and all. I don't know why. I'd volunteer myself but it'd be even more boring than just sitting there pretending to listen
Ohhhhh, bugger, yeah the lighting adds to it for sure (imagine that with NO lights :p) but I reckon if they put a bit more in the FoH from backlights they could give you nice light to shoot with...

Reminds me, first assembly of term someone had unplugged the three-phase for the dimmer, so I went to plug it back in and the bugger wouldn't go in, I didn't want to force it (and potentially hurt myself badly with big current), so just left it there and did the assembly without *any* lighting, and NOBODY I asked in the audience even noticed :lol::lol:
Some idiot keeps screwing with the EQ every week:mad: I get there and all the <2kHz is right down and everything else is right up... WTF would someone do that... Last year someone came around and cut the plugs off everything:mad:

Our school usually sends someone from publications (4 full time staff!:confused:) with a XTi for normal assemblies, today had some prize they were giving so they hired a Rockwell :lol: Some dude with a D3+24-70+SB-900, with the flash on the camera facing forward and the camera in P :rolleyes:

Backflipboy
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:10
Yeh, I think I also need a bigger map too. Mine's not really "greater" Sydney.
Honestly, nothing beats the City Link UBD directory - Sydney, Wollongong, Central Coast, Newcastle, Blue Mountains and Canberra.

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:15
Ohhhhh, bugger, yeah the lighting adds to it for sure (imagine that with NO lights) but I reckon if they put a bit more in the FoH from backlights they could give you nice light to shoot with...

Reminds me, first assembly of term someone had unplugged the three-phase for the dimmer, so I went to plug it back in and the bugger wouldn't go in, I didn't want to force it (and potentially hurt myself badly with big current), so just left it there and did the assembly without *any* lighting, and NOBODY I asked in the audience even noticed :lol:
Some idiot keeps screwing with the EQ every week:mad: I get there and all the <2kHz is right down and everything else is right up... WTF would someone do that... Last year someone came around and cut the plugs off everything:mad:

Our school usually sends someone from publications (4 full time staff!) with a XTi for normal assemblies, today had some prize they were giving so they hired a Rockwell :lol: Some dude with a D3+24-70+SB-900, with the flash on the camera facing forward and the camera in P :rolleyes:

I've got no idea what you're on about with the lighting and the EQ but it sounds funny, especially cutting the plugs off :lol:

I'm sure he got great results, dragging the shutter and wondering what the hell was happening! :p

Edit: I think I might go to my mate's basketball again tomorrow night and then some footy or soccer on Saturday as well. Most likely soccer as I haven't shot it before. I really haven't gotten out to as much sport as I'd hoped I would since I got my 70-200 and then my 1D! Now that I've got NN going well I won't be so scared shooting basketball too :lol:

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:20
Honestly, nothing beats the City Link UBD directory - Sydney, Wollongong, Central Coast, Newcastle, Blue Mountains and Canberra.

Yeeeeeh, that's a little more than what I got...............Might have to invest in one. I check out google maps, but always seem to lose my way even more.

tangcla
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:32
I like the iPhone so far :)

Much better experience than being an early adopter with the USA-only iPhone 2G, though I did much prefer the aluminium back.

alexanderGARDNER
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:36
Division 4. I'm still working!

mickeyjuice
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:41
Division 4. I'm still working!

Yeah. I started this morning @ 7am, writing a couple of Bomber stories, and then got home a bit after 8. Not fun!

(Took my mkIII to work after getting it back on Monday, but never even got to put a lens on it today, too busy.)

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:46
Yeah. I started this morning @ 7am, writing a couple of Bomber stories, and then got home a bit after 8. Not fun!

(Took my mkIII to work after getting it back on Monday, but never even got to put a lens on it today, too busy.)

Nothing bad about us I hope Mic :p if you don't count any stories about McVeigh anyway :lol:

alexanderGARDNER
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 07:50

I really don't have a problem with work. I've got to find the work that works for me. ;)

So to speak.

mickeyjuice
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:06
Nothing bad about us I hope Mic :p if you don't count any stories about McVeigh anyway :lol:

Bomber, not Bombers :-)

I really don't have a problem with work. I've got to find the work that works for me. ;)

Oh, my work works for me, I love it. I just get a bit frustrated with some of our management behaviours, at times :-)

tangcla
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:16
Wow, two people won the first division prize pool tonight, one from SA and one from QLD.

deletedpenguin
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:17
For the first time in my life, I bought a lotto ticket.

For the first time in my life today, I regretted buying a lotto ticket.

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:18
It's all about the $2.00 lotto. Winner takes all. :lol:

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:18
Bomber, not Bombers :-)

Should have read properly then :p What do you think of the Eagles signing Naitanui signing an extended contract already? Bit early for mine unless he was only on a two year deal to begin with.

tangcla
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:23
So for where I'm working now, the new system goes live tomorrow at 8:30am, and the government haven't released teh system for anyone else to look at prior to go live date... so tomorrow, the offices aren't complete yet, we're all going to go in, and hope for the best... :lol:

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:24
In the bin? Then get yourself a proper 50 ;) :rolleyes:

Want to buy it for me then?

Wow, two people won the first division prize pool tonight, one from SA and one from QLD.

I hope its us........we cant even check because the site is down :(

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:26
Second day of work experience today. it was interesting.

I was lucky enough to paint the white wall in the studio.

i also had to back up a lot of photo's from earlier this year.
The back ups were done onto a dvd, which is then kept on top of the desk, im not to sure what the point of this on-site back up is though.

I'm learning alot about their business though, the good and the bad.

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:28
Yeeeeeh, that's a little more than what I got...............Might have to invest in one. I check out google maps, but always seem to lose my way even more.
Get a cheap TomTom then put custom firmware on it that unlocks all the features of the expensive ones as well as get the latest/greatest map off the net...
We have a ONE v3 that we bought in London for 99 pounds since adding a GPS onto the rental car would be 150 pounds :lol: I put on the firmware I found on the net (can't remember which...) and got the latest Aus map, it is great, routes us the same way to school as we have been going for 3yrs 10+ times a week, back roads and all! Speaks road names now, if Perth had a traffic service and I bought the tuner thing for it it would do that, shows lanes in highways, epic win overall IMO ;)
For the first time in my life, I bought a lotto ticket.

For the first time in my life today, I regretted buying a lotto ticket.
:lol: I didn't buy one... I am the most unlucky person I know (:lol:) and the odds are stacked against me anyways ;)

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:33
Three of the numbers I chose were in the winning numbers. You would be stoked to win. I've got relatives in Queensland, I might just give them a call now... :lol:

deletedpenguin
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:36
^ Yeah, I had three #'s too. :( Stupid seven numbers.

Backflipboy
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:48

The back ups were done onto a dvd, which is then kept on top of the desk, im not to sure what the point of this on-site back up is though.

You probably mentioned it somewhere else but where are you doing work experience?

Computer illiterates believe that just having a backup will be fine rather than storage off site - they don't consider fires, thieves, floods or the second coming of Jebus as being a problem.

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:48
I like the iPhone so far :)

Much better experience than being an early adopter with the USA-only iPhone 2G, though I did much prefer the aluminium back.
I wouldn't mind an iPhone... I don't know how much I would use it for anything other than iPod and phone...

I hope its us........we cant even check because the site is down :(
Winning Numbers: 12, 3, 38, 21, 23, 29, 40
Supplementary Numbers: 43,22
From lotterywest site (which seems to be fine...)

:lol: Nice job painting the wall :lol:

They back up onto DVDs ONLY! wow, how bloody many did you have to burn!
Tell them to get some external HDDs and leave one copy of everything off site! ;)
ATM I keep everything at home (I have one backup of everything) But I am going to soon enough have to buy another 2009 drive and when I do I will probably get a... Hmmmm.... wait how am I going to do this!? :lol: "cross that bridge when I come to it ;)"

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 08:53
You probably mentioned it somewhere else but where are you doing work experience?

Computer illiterates believe that just having a backup will be fine rather than storage off site - they don't consider fires, thieves, floods or the second coming of Jebus as being a problem.

I'm doing work experience at a photography studio, that focuses in fashion and glamour portraits.

:lol: Nice job painting the wall :lol:

They back up onto DVDs ONLY! wow, how bloody many did you have to burn!
Tell them to get some external HDDs and leave one copy of everything off site! ;)

Damn, not us :(

Yeah, i was quite surprised as well, although they might do more backup's im not to sure.

they do a disk for each photoshoot, RAW's only.

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:02
Nic, is that work experience with school or did you get in contact with them to do it on the holidays?

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:06
Nic, is that work experience with school or did you get in contact with them to do it on the holidays?

Work experience with school.

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:08
I'm doing work experience at a photography studio, that focuses in fashion and glamour portraits.

Damn, not us :(

Yeah, i was quite surprised as well, although they might do more backup's im not to sure.

they do a disk for each photoshoot, RAW's only.
If you want to be an asset if you are decent with computers offer to set up some cloning software for their drives and externals...
I help the wedding photog I assist/learn from with his website and computers if he needs it... It feels nice to help someone ;)

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:10
Work experience with school.

Thought so. I was gonna say it might be worth staying on after that for weekends but it would cut into your own shooting time :lol:

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:13
If you want to be an asset if you are decent with computers offer to set up some cloning software for their drives and externals...
I help the wedding photog I assist/learn from with his website and computers if he needs it... It feels nice to help someone ;)

Yeah i agree with that, but, I'm not a computer person.

Thought so. I was gonna say it might be worth staying on after that for weekends but it would cut into your own shooting time :lol:

Yeah i have thought about that, and at the end of the week i might speak to him about that. although this weekend is out seeing as i leave for ski trip on sunday morning :D

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:20
Yeah i agree with that, but, I'm not a computer person.

Yeah i have thought about that, and at the end of the week i might speak to him about that. although this weekend is out seeing as i leave for ski trip on sunday morning :D

Haha, I'm into lots of things, really just try to learn as much as I can about everything I can... Just try help them with whatever non-photo skill you have when you can, feels really rewarding IMO ;)

How much do you reckon you are learning from it?

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:24
Haha, I'm into lots of things, really just try to learn as much as I can about everything I can... Just try help them with whatever non-photo skill you have when you can, feels really rewarding IMO ;)

How much do you reckon you are learning from it?

Honestly quite a bit, the good and the bad.

There system has huge flaw's, which i wont point out to them because the way they are doing it is obviously fine for them.

I'm learning about how the industry is quite unpredictable, like tomorrow they had three shoots booked, today everyone of them pulled out or rescheduled.

As i get to sit in with some sessions i will learn more about the technical side, but at the moment, sitting in with all the workers and listening to them is really helping me get a understanding of what it is really like.

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:28
How many of them actually seem to enjoy what they do? Are they passionate photographers that do that for work but shoot other things often for themselves or do they just do it for work and that's it?

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:30
How many of them actually seem to enjoy what they do? Are they passionate photographers that do that for work but shoot other things often for themselves or do they just do it for work and that's it?

They are all passionate photographers, they love what they do and are very happy and enthusiastic. Whilst i'm not sure whether they shoot things outside of work (i would imagine they do) they are very busy most day's because they often share jobs, photog/sales person, photog/Post production etc etc

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:32
I know the company that shoots my school portraits employs a whole lot of photogs, and the majority I talk to just take it as work now... One even said never get into photography as a job :confused: The wedding photog I assist absolutely loves it, but does have a day job too... I guess that is the difference...

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:33
They are all passionate photographers, they love what they do and are very happy and enthusiastic. Whilst i'm not sure whether they shoot things outside of work (i would imagine they do) they are very busy most day's because they often share jobs, photog/sales person, photog/Post production etc etc

That's good then. I haven't spoken to someone who works in a local environment like that before so I wasn't sure. Obviously there's the people on here that say they feel like they might lose the passion for it after a while but I never knew how true it really was, if at all.

Backflipboy
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:36
I would say they would be passionate about photography in general but they made a decision to work for the company simply to ensure a stable income. They probably go off on their days off or weekends to do what they really want to do. I think that's a very sensible thing for people wanting to make photography their main income to do until such time as their outside interests start bringing in the money.

Now I'm going to bed.

NicD
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 09:36
I know the company that shoots my school portraits employs a whole lot of photogs, and the majority I talk to just take it as work now... One even said never get into photography as a job :confused: The wedding photog I assist absolutely loves it, but does have a day job too... I guess that is the difference...

It depends if you enjoy it still or not, waking up every morning to shoot snotty nosed little school kids could get annoying, where as if you wake up wanting to shoot with that passion, and you dont overdo it, it could be good.

That's good then. I haven't spoken to someone who works in a local environment like that before so I wasn't sure. Obviously there's the people on here that say they feel like they might lose the passion for it after a while but I never knew how true it really was, if at all.

Yeah like i said before, it depends if you continue to have that passion, and really it varies for everyone.

I'll have a chat to some of the other photographers through out the week and see what they all say.

They are all really nice people who are happy to help me out which is really good :D

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 10:01
Clazmonster
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=716307
;):lol:

ANGUS
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 10:30

I got 3, 21, 40 and 43... Won like $4 by the sounds of things lol.... Oh well fairly good for my only lotto purchase and using the high tech selection method of fire stations who have had more then 2 active fires in the last week :lol:

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 10:35
I got 3, 21, 40 and 43... Won like $4 by the sounds of things lol.... Oh well fairly good for my only lotto purchase and using the high tech selection method of fire stations who have had more then 2 active fires in the last week :lol:

Should have based it on false alarms ;)

On another note... Is $900 for a 16-35 mk1 a good price?

The Moose
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 10:40

I'd nearly go as far as saying $900 is a great price. $1000 is a good price, $1100 is alright. Selling or buying?

photobitz
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 10:43
Buying... well, just came across a listing that is. Sounds like it has been roughed up a bit though. Says it was used professionally and has a few scratches and "dents". Not sure how a plastic body gets dents... :confused:

Mark
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 11:19
Buying... well, just came across a listing that is. Sounds like it has been roughed up a bit though. Says it was used professionally and has a few scratches and "dents". Not sure how a plastic body gets dents... :confused:

:confused: Sounds like it may have had a rough life... I recall those ex newspaper mk I's I think it was going for like 700 or 800 bucks a while back, then everyone calling them up first thing monday and them saying they sold all them on the first day.... so 900 probably is a good price, and if it actually is pretty beat up but you reckon it works alright or you could fix it easy then you could hopefully negotiate it down a bit further in person with "repair estimates" etc...
I'd say it's worth looking at...

mickeyjuice
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 15:59

Lottery - a tax on people who don't understand maths.

Should have read properly then :p What do you think of the Eagles signing Naitanui signing an extended contract already? Bit early for mine unless he was only on a two year deal to begin with.

All draftees get signed to an initial two-year deal, but yeah, way too early. Ridiculous.

I'd have bought one at that price if I'd seen one, which I didn't.

alexanderGARDNER
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 16:14
So for where I'm working now, the new system goes live tomorrow at 8:30am, and the government haven't released teh system for anyone else to look at prior to go live date... so tomorrow, the offices aren't complete yet, we're all going to go in, and hope for the best... :lol:

We had a new system due to go live today but UK pushed it back to Friday when they realised they wouldn't have the time to dedicate to the rollout. ;)

tangcla
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 17:32
We had a new system due to go live today but UK pushed it back to Friday when they realised they wouldn't have the time to dedicate to the rollout. ;)
Australian Government rolled out this system - we go live and customers are walking in the front door today. Fun times ahead today! :p

mcminty
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 19:31
Australian Government rolled out this system - we go live and customers are walking in the front door today. Fun times ahead today! :p
I probs missed it, but where do you now work again?

For those that gave their ideas, thanks for the help with the lab coat. In the end I decided to do something else cause it was just too hard to find. :lol:

If anyone remembers back ages ago to when I asked about the photomosaic tools, I've finally done a few trials and have even come out with something half decent:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2546/3676052559_7601d43672.jpg

Now, I just have to select the images I want and redo it so the tiles are smaller, etc. :)

JustinLawrence
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 19:54
I probs missed it, but where do you now work again?

For those that gave their ideas, thanks for the help with the lab coat. In the end I decided to do something else cause it was just too hard to find. :lol:

If anyone remembers back ages ago to when I asked about the photomosaic tools, I've finally done a few trials and have even come out with something half decent:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2546/3676052559_7601d43672.jpg

Now, I just have to select the images I want and redo it so the tiles are smaller, etc. :)

Wow, impressive. I know its not finished but i find it hard to make out the shape in the middle, like it could use a bit more contrast. I really like the design though. What software are you using?

mcminty
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 19:59
Wow, impressive. I know its not finished but i find it hard to make out the shape in the middle, like it could use a bit more contrast. I really like the design though. What software are you using?
Thanks. The shape in the middle is supposed to be a seahorse :confused: One of the harder and more subjective parts is trying to balance how much of the actual logo I'll show, and how much of the mosaic I'll use.

I made the mosaic with a program called MozoDojo (I think it's a mac only one). From there, I took it into photoshop. The original logo is overlaid at about 23% opacity. From about 28-30+ it's really too dominant.. Finally, on top of that I have a layer with the black outlines and the text around the outside to help emphasise those elements. From memory that is at 85% opacity, which allows some of the image to show from behind the text.

S7000
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 20:08
Looking good Andrew! You coming on Sunday?

mcminty
30th of June 2009 (Tue), 20:17
Looking good Andrew! You coming on Sunday?
Thanks.

Mm, I didn't know it was oganised for Sunday :oops: Ummm.. is there a thread or something with more details?