PDA

View Full Version : POTN Aussie Club #6 - What does the 'P' stand for anyway??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

fungry
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 01:04
People out in the market just prefer to have boxes, nuff said. I also agree it is easier to pack and ship.

I need to buy an external LCD monitor to pair with my mbp... working on a 15' killlls me sometimes.

DAdeGroot
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 01:33
I keep the boxes only to have the ease to ship it if I sell/loan the lens. Not for 'commercial' value so to speak. They're all in a plastic carton in the shed anyway :) ahha... and not all have boxes considering most were 2nd hand :)

I must admit I too have the boxes. They're stashed on top of the shelf in the walk in robe. When I've sold stuff, I've been able to ship with the box, manuals, etc.

alexanderGARDNER
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 01:36
I'll say this. Monetary value, zip however desirability is it's plus point.

mickeyjuice
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 01:42
I'm pondering: http://www.ht.com.au/part/Q0602-Wacom-Intuos3-A5-USB-Digitizer-stylus-203-x-152-cm-wired-USB-tungsten-grey/detail.hts

LLL
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 01:45
wooo just bought 135L for SGD$1,330.

The Moose
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:14
I'm pondering: http://www.ht.com.au/part/Q0602-Wacom-Intuos3-A5-USB-Digitizer-stylus-203-x-152-cm-wired-USB-tungsten-grey/detail.hts

Wow, that's cheap as. I'd get it if I had a use for it :lol:

alexanderGARDNER
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:15

If you do....would you mind getting 2 and I'll send you some cash? :)

DAdeGroot
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:21

I have the older CTE-630 model, love it :)

photobitz
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:24
Isn't it a bit small?

DAdeGroot
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:26
Isn't it a bit small?

The A5 one ? or the CTE-630 (which is 6"x8").

I find mine very workable. I just set it to cover the PS application area only and it's all good.

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:32
I had the same problem after a update. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it fixed the problem.

Dunno if I could be bothered doing that. It'd mean uninstalling the whole suite. :(

Just use one font per letter.. :lol:

I still need more. :p

Thanks Phil.

What kind of colours would you recommend for the "soft" colour?

As for the text, i will have play around with the different font's now and later tonight and see what i can come up with.
7000? as in seven thousand?

That is a ridiculous number of fonts! i struggle to find the right font with just what i have let alone in 7000!

Yes. 7000. :lol:

As for the colours. Soft as in not B&W, or grey and white (Which just looks weird). Try some blues, or reds, stick them all next to each other and see which you prefer.

Opinions on size of photo and watermark? Is the watermark too big?

I think it's a little big, I also think I'd like to see it lifted off the base of the image. As was also stated about a landscape shot you posted too, be careful you're not making the watermark standout more than the image itself.

Stupidest thread in the history of the interwebs: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114854

The lens on the back of the truck was gold though. :D

Congrats on the L's to those who got them!

Possibly the last tax from the 400D for a while. Was a cracking sunset too!!!

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/prischlfam/IMG_6290.jpg

charlieharper
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:34
Isn't it a bit small? Ummm....Errrrrr.......No.........Not really...........:o

CH.

Oh crap...He's talking about the Wacom tablet

photobitz
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:39
Speaking of fonts Phil, how's this for Microsoft quality...

Microsoft have just informed us that the reason our Citrix servers (which run everything for our 1600 users Australia-wide) have been blue-screening for the past 3 days is because of incompatibilities with some Open-type fonts that were installed.

WTH?!?!?!? :confused: >:(

Fonts?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!?

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:41
Speaking of fonts Phil, how's this for Microsoft quality...

Microsoft have just informed us that the reason our Citrix servers (which run everything for our 1600 users Australia-wide) have been blue-screening for the past 3 days is because of incompatibilities with some Open-type fonts that were installed.

WTH?!?!?!? :confused: >:(

Fonts?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!?

Yeh, it's an odd problem. Like I said, I can't write in PS anymore. :mad:

Possible file clashes or something?

photobitz
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:42
Fonts are bad mmmkay...

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:52
Fonts are bad mmmkay...

:lol:

Scott H
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 03:38
Help!... I cant figure out how to make a 580ex2 just act as a master. And not actually fire itself. Is it meant to be a custom function? or is it achieved by pressing the zoom button, because that didnt work :rolleyes:

I would RTFM but I didnt get one when I borrowed them! Cant find one on Canon.com.au either. Not many ideas this late in the week :confused:

Ideas?

-Scott

smythie
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 03:49
I have the older CTE-630 model, love it :)I have a CTE-440 that I use for general mouse duties a lot of the time. Quite like it. Comes into its own (for me anyway) in multi screen use. Good for graphical applications as well.

A5 isn't all that small for that sort of application. My 440 is 4x6 and I wouldn't want anything bigger for general duties. Only reason I might go bigger than 6x8 would be if it was a full digitser/screen clone like this (http://www.ht.com.au/part/R8523-Wacom-Cintiq-21UX-Digitizer-stylus-w-LCD-display-432-x-324-cm-electromagnetic-wired-USB/detail.hts)

Rai33
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 03:58

I've got that 6"x8" model... price drop obviously as it has been superceeded by the intuous 4. Does the job nicely though probably overkill for those that don't regularly perform detailed post processing. If only mine was black like the new series to match the rest of my setup :oops:

rowdy_kk
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 04:07
Help!... I cant figure out how to make a 580ex2 just act as a master. And not actually fire itself. Is it meant to be a custom function? or is it achieved by pressing the zoom button, because that didnt work :rolleyes:

-Scott

It is by pressing the zoom button and rolling the dial so it shows OFF on the screen. If you did this are you sure you aren't just seeing the pre flash fire?

Scott H
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 04:10
It is by pressing the zoom button and rolling the dial so it shows OFF on the screen. If you did this are you sure you aren't just seeing the pre flash fire?

Quite possibly. So the flash when operating in ETTL participates in the preflash?

Config I was using was 2 x 430EX in slave on ETTL same channel & group.
580exii on camera as master only.

-Scott

rowdy_kk
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 04:22
Quite possibly. So the flash when operating in ETTL participates in the preflash?

Config I was using was 2 x 430EX in slave on ETTL same channel & group.
580exii on camera as master only.

-Scott

I think it is just a comms thing to tell the slaves what to do, I'm no expert on this though.

charlieharper
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 05:53
If you need a PDF of the 580EX-II manual PM me, I used to have one somewhere, I'll look if you want it ..........

CH

photobitz
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:00
I think it is just a comms thing to tell the slaves what to do, I'm no expert on this though.

I bought a whip for that.

Errrr... sorry... I thought we were talking about something else. :o

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:01
580 manual here.

http://www.eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=580EXII*

BOSS
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:06
I bought a whip for that.

Errrr... sorry... I thought we were talking about something else. :o

So does SWMBO use it on you often??

photobitz
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:11
So does SWMBO use it on you often??

She already has my pants... what does she need a whip for?

DAdeGroot
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:22
Fonts are bad mmmkay...

Bah! Moving the graphics driver into Ring 0 for performance reasons was the beginning of the end for the NT line from MS.

As mentioned you press and hold the Zoom button, then when OFF flashes on the screen, turn the wheel to Master On and hit the Set button. Now press the Zoom button again until the flash symbol flashes (you'll know it when you see it), then turn turn the dial to Off and hit Set.

Done :) Master mode enabled and it won't flash.

BOSS
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:28

Hhmmm think I shall stop now before it becomes a mod lure.

AdamC
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:28

Ah, it's good to be single!

alexanderGARDNER
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:49
Hey Damian,

I saw your shots on Flickr.....they turned out well!

coalcliff
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:52
:cool:Ah, it's good to be single!

This is the young, brave lady who went cossie clad for 2 hours this morning for some piccies..brave girl! :eek:She is sort of single her bf left for a 8month os trip last week. She was late for the shoot, my assistant had no idea, time was running out...
ahh the joys of location shooting!, where is that eastern spinebill again!;)

coalcliff
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:53
And one more variation on the morning!:)

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:56
:cool:

This is the young, brave lady who went cossie clad for 2 hours this morning for some piccies..brave girl! :eek:She is sort of single her bf left for a 8month os trip last week. She was late for the shoot, my assistant had no idea, time was running out...

Also saw these on Flickr Damo. Nice shots.

Much nicer bird today. :lol:

There's no way I would've been getting in water in the middle of winter that early. Good on her.

BOSS
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 06:58
I like #1 and 2 but #3 looks like she was cutout and dropped in.

coalcliff
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 07:08
Hey Damian,

I saw your shots on Flickr.....they turned out well!

Damn you are quick Al! Cheers, question what do you do with 280 shots?

Also saw these on Flickr Damo. Nice shots.

Much nicer bird today. :lol:

There's no way I would've been getting in water in the middle of winter that early. Good on her.

I dunno, the bird yesterday didn't pose in the pre dawn with a fr*gging tag hanging out the back of her bikini bottoms!:D
She was a good brave kid though to put up with the conditions, and me!
I like #1 and 2 but #3 looks like she was cutout and dropped in.
My povo attempt at the Dave Hill Look, but maxing out the sliders in Adobe raw.

AdamC
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 07:13
She is sort of single her bf left for a 8month os trip last week.

You can give her my number if you like. :cool:

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 08:23
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! England is all out for 102! :lol:

alexanderGARDNER
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 08:30
Damn you are quick Al! Cheers, question what do you do with 280 shots?

Great ones? Congratulate yourself!

If not, then cull like a mad man. BTW I'm continually impressed with the power of the 580 EXII. I may need to get a couple, one day. Mic's checking on stock of the Wacoms tomorrow and I got that Lowepro Rolling Computrekker AW Plus today. D-D didn't get back to me so I bought it at Michaels. The last one there (for now) for $350. :)

The Moose
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 08:33

Love it! :D

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 08:36
Ah, it's good to be single!

Love it! :D

Let's just hope we don't go down the same road. Looking good so far.

Old Fart
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 08:49

Don't laugh to loud yet.............. (it tempts fate)

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 08:54
Don't laugh to loud yet.............. (it tempts fate)

We lost one already. On the other hand, we 1/4 of the way to their score.

photobitz
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 09:37
:cool:

Well you seem to have done ok considering ;)

Can always call me if you need an extra pair of hands to hold a reflector/strobe/bottle of hard liqour.

Mark
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 09:48
Just skimmed through back, nice photos all...

Nic, I am much more of a simple so my logo style would be more like this

Highlight_Photography
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 09:49
I'm thinking about starting the 365 day project :)

The Moose
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 09:59

It's tough, really tough. Well that's what everyone else says :lol: I told myself I'd do a 14 day project from the first night I got my new flashes and triggers but that didn't even happen... I don't know how I could even attempt a 365 day project!

Highlight_Photography
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 10:18
It's tough, really tough. Well that's what everyone else says :lol: I told myself I'd do a 14 day project from the first night I got my new flashes and triggers but that didn't even happen... I don't know how I could even attempt a 365 day project!
Attempted it before and got to day 42 and gave up. I want to finish it lol

Mark
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 10:23
mmmm, I'd never be able to do one of those projects...

ANGUS
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 14:10
Some tax from today. Cab vs Police Caged Truck.

To quote the AAP

Two pedestrians were injured and a cabbie was trapped in his taxi after a collision with a police van at a busy intersection in Sydney's CBD.

It took firefighters about 40 minutes to free the taxi driver from the wreckage.

The police van was travelling north along Pitt Street when it was involved in a collision with the taxi heading east along Park Street about 1pm, police said.

The officers were on their way to an urgent job and their van's siren and lights were operating.

Both vehicles mounted the kerb outside a fast-food restaurant, but police said it was unclear which vehicle struck the pedestrians, both women.

A lunch-time crowd gathered at the scene as police cordoned off a section of Pitt Street.

A police spokesman said the pedestrians were taken to hospital.

One woman was being checked for spinal damage and an arm fracture, while the other was being treated for grazes.

Two police officers were also taken to hospital for a routine check-up.

Firefighters freed the taxi driver, who was also taken to hospital. Witnesses said he was conscious and speaking to paramedics.

Ross Dewhurst, 56, of Erskineville, said he was in shock after narrowly avoiding being struck.

He said he was almost pushed into the restaurant for "a burger I didn't want to have".

Vai Sootaga, of Belmore, said one of the injured women appeared to be in her 20s and was alert and speaking to paramedics.

Petrol had spilled from the cab and emergency authorities worked to clean up the area.

mickeyjuice
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 17:18

As we've said before, it's a terrific thing and very very difficult :-)

coalcliff
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 17:52

be careful what you wish for!!!

Well you seem to have done ok considering ;)

Can always call me if you need an extra pair of hands to hold a reflector/strobe/bottle of hard liqour.

Could have used your height Dan, may have another girl to shoot at pre dawn Wed or Thurs, thinking of around the lighthouses at Gong Harbour, let me know if you want to collaborate, should be finished by 7 to 7.30am, but 5.30 am meet up though..

As we've said before, it's a terrific thing and very very difficult :-)
Unless you photograph a piece of road kill decaying over the year..
the creative challenge would be an enormous pressure, but you can rely on us for ideas if you need them!

DAdeGroot
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 18:02

To quote the AAP

Apart from the pedestrians it doesn't look that serious, I've been in worse looking accidents than that, and driven home.

coalcliff
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 19:29

To quote the AAP

That second shot looks like the coppers and the cabbie were racing to get their Macca's :D:D:D:oops::D

AdamC
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 19:58

To quote the AAP

It took firefighters about 40 minutes to free the taxi driver from the wreckage.

I don't understand that - it doesn't appear that the cabin was crumpled at all. Looks like nothing more than a fender bender.

Highlight_Photography
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:07
I don't understand that - it doesn't appear that the cabin was crumpled at all. Looks like nothing more than a fender bender.
Standard operations. From the impact for a precaution they have cut from the back pillar behind the driver and removed the patient through the back door. They would of layed the drivers seat down slowly and then moved patient onto a spinal board. With most impacts back injuries are suspected so things take time making sure they don't make the injuires worse.

As you can see the driver wasn't "physically" trapped.

ANGUS
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:08

Driver was complaining of pain. Plus its not 40 minutes from fire RESCUE arrival (Police is meant to do rescue in that area however due to a major accident in Maroubra they where all busy) so the Fire Rescue appliance was called to take over and got there 15 mins or so after the first fire crews.

-spam-
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:14

To quote the AAP

Hey! I know where that is now! haha

And with the way everyone in sydney drives, it isnt surprising :rolleyes:

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 22:22
Picked up Angus's 1Dii today.

Haven't got much to shoot as I'll be off to work soon, so here's a couple of my lenses. Shot with my 50mm Yashica. (So much easier to focus with a bigger viewfinder)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/3799262641_c6d9f6582e_b.jpg

BOSS
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 22:46
Driver was complaining of pain. Plus its not 40 minutes from fire RESCUE arrival (Police is meant to do rescue in that area however due to a major accident in Maroubra they where all busy) so the Fire Rescue appliance was called to take over and got there 15 mins or so after the first fire crews.

Can you say 'compo claim'??

S7000
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 22:57
Can you say 'compo claim'??

Haha. I'd be milking them for all I could too. :p

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:07
Thoughts on these please.

I need to finish this logo before tonight so i would appreciate your opinions and suggestions please.

BOSS
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:14
#2 for me,seems to stand out more.

S7000
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:15
The second one is looking better Nic.

I don't like the font you used for your initials though. (That's just me though). Speaking of the letters, they're not centred in the diamond. The N is almost at the edge while there's a big gap between the D and the edge.

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:22
#2 for me

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:25
#2 for me,seems to stand out more.

The second one is looking better Nic.

I don't like the font you used for your initials though. (That's just me though). Speaking of the letters, they're not centred in the diamond. The N is almost at the edge while there's a big gap between the D and the edge.

#2 for me

Thanks guys.

I will have a look at the font, i think some of that is because the D is a completely different shape to the N which means there is a bit of a spacing issue.

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:26
Good? Bad?

Thoughts on the font....
Thoughts on the two colors or just stick with white and blue?

BOSS
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:28
I reckon the white and blue it has more impact.

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:33
I reckon the white and blue it has more impact.

Thanks John.

Thoughts on the font everyone?

BOSS
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:53
Ok ,Nic you've swapped the colours over from the first one I think the white on the left is better.
Now the font to me its plain,simple and shows an honesty of purpose.
It may work better if its a bit more of a fancy font but until its seen can't say.
In the end its your call its what you want have out there saying' this is me'.

S7000
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 00:54
Quick shot in 5 mins Nic. I was thinking something like this.

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 01:00
Ok ,Nic you've swapped the colours over from the first one I think the white on the left is better.
Now the font to me its plain,simple and shows an honesty of purpose.
It may work better if its a bit more of a fancy font but until its seen can't say.
In the end its your call its what you want have out there saying' this is me'.

Yeah i realized i swapped the colors around it wasn't intentional just with playing around of different colors that's what happened.

I understand that this is up to me but it is good to get other opinions because what works to me, doesn't to other people.

I get the idea but honestly i can hardly read that.

S7000
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 01:05
I get the idea but honestly i can hardly read that.

Yeh, I noticed that, but colours are the easy part really. Getting the concept to work is the main thing.

I only went with blue because it's what you seemed to be going with.

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 01:07
Yeh, I noticed that, but colours are the easy part really. Getting the concept to work is the main thing.

I only went with blue because it's what you seemed to be going with.

Yeah you make a good point about the concept thing, it is quite difficult :rolleyes:

Do you mind coming on MSN so we can discuss this further....

S7000
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 01:10
Yeah you make a good point about the concept thing, it is quite difficult :rolleyes:

Do you mind coming on MSN so we can discuss this further....

Yeup, the Tafe course I started had whole subjects on concept. :lol:

Mark
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:07
Nic, personally I like text logos...
I dunno why but I just always have disliked geometric logos like that... The ones I posted a while back are the way I would go...

tangcla
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:09
Anyone have a 1.5TB or 2TB SATA drive they wanna sell? :)

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:11
Nic, personally I like text logos...
I dunno why but I just always have disliked geometric logos like that... The ones I posted a while back are the way I would go...

Fair enough Mark. It is a personal thing.

The logo is for a friends band's website which i am shooting tonight, they will link it to my site.

So i wanted something decent and not just a text box.

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:15
Why are weekends sooooo boring? I need to find something to shoot...

tupper
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:16

When in doubt,
Self Portrait your weekend out!

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:27
When in doubt,
Self Portrait your weekend out!
I'm not that good at self portraits. Should be able to manage with 1x speedlite and wireless trigger

Mark
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:37
Fair enough Mark. It is a personal thing.

The logo is for a friends band's website which i am shooting tonight, they will link it to my site.

So i wanted something decent and not just a text box.

Mmmm, almost all of the most successful web companies have largely text logos... (Google, facebook, twitter, yahoo, etc) Obviously you would have to work with the text a bit more than I did, but I personally wouldn't add geometric bits...

They are much easier to make look as though they were 'meant to be there' on other websites too...

tupper
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:40
I'm not that good at self portraits. Should be able to manage with 1x speedlite and wireless trigger

Well then there is room to improve!
I find that I am my best model as I always do what I'm told. :lol:

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:49
Well then there is room to improve!
I find that I am my best model as I always do what I'm told. :lol:
Lol, Need to find myself a backdrop.

tangcla
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:50
Speaking of self portraits, I just bought a Canon RC-1 wireless remote trigger.
Does anyone want to buy a genuine Canon RS-80N3 shutter release? In box. Few scratches.

P.S. Ewan, when did you get your custom title? :lol:

tupper
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:50

White walls work fine for upper body/headshots.

tupper
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:52
P.S. Ewan, when did you get your custom title? :lol:

I was misbehaving the the TF thread.. :lol:

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 02:53
Mmmm, almost all of the most successful web companies have largely text logos... (Google, facebook, twitter, yahoo, etc) Obviously you would have to work with the text a bit more than I did, but I personally wouldn't add geometric bits...

They are much easier to make look as though they were 'meant to be there' on other websites too...

Dammit mark, you have given me so much to think about :lol::lol:

fungry
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 03:00
I need to as well!
White walls work fine for upper body/headshots.
The reason being, at the place I am at right now, I feel that there isn't enough room considering how all the furniture is currently placed.

I concur with Mark's earlier comment, I likewise prefer text logos but some geometrical logos such as Dave's works for me too.

ANGUS
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 03:25

Turn on the scanner and chase incidents.

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 04:18
Turn on the scanner and chase incidents.
Who needs to chase them when my pager has gone off 4 times today? :p

The Moose
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 04:21
I think the weekends are boring too.. I haven't shot anything all week because school work took over my nights :lol: Might be going out somewhere tomorrow so I'll take the 1D along.. I still want a Siggy 24-70. Anyone want to sell theirs? :lol:

DAdeGroot
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 04:44
Anyone have a 1.5TB or 2TB SATA drive they wanna sell? :)

www.umart.com.au

:P

DAdeGroot
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 04:45

I missed a trip to Fingal Heads today because of this damn flu :(

Backflipboy
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 05:27
When you have to work, they are never boring.

mcminty
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 05:35

To quote the AAP
Wow.. I walked by there at about 12:50. Just 10 minutes later..

And hey everyone :) I'm still around lol tho I haven't taken some "proper" photos in a long time, and now that uni is back.. I don't have much time to get out the camera :confused: I've got a few photoshoots with friends that are being planned... so at some point I'll deliver a hell of a lot of phototax.

So how is everyone these days?

mickeyjuice
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 05:53
When you have to work, they are never boring.

Not wrong, I had ANOTHER result inside a goal this afternoon. Wears yer brain out.

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 05:59
I learnt some things today...

1) Flash isn't good at a gig
2) The lighting was shocking.....i had to use flash
3) Bands don't want technically good shots they want "cool" things.
4) I've now worked out how its done....pity i didn't get to do it.

Tax will follow

The Moose
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 05:59
Not wrong, I had ANOTHER result inside a goal this afternoon. Wears yer brain out.

Were you at the Dogs game? I can't believe the Saints got up but that's footy!

Bombers are up by 14, nearly three quarter time :D :D :D

Tax will follow

1. I've never used flash, even when I was shooting ISO 1600/3200, f/2.8, 1/25-1/50"
2. Lighting is often shocking :lol: It took me a few gigs to get used to bad lighting
3. Some people think dragging the shutter (and therefore getting terrible shots) are cool, I've always hated them
4. As I said, it took me a few times to get used to it and get into the groove but photography is all about experience

mickeyjuice
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 06:02
Were you at the Dogs game?

Yeah, Doggies. One of the reason I love sport is that it can throw the most amazing things up with ZERO warning!

Man, we have some good sports shooters around, I am in awe of a few of them.

NicD
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 06:05
1. I've never used flash, even when I was shooting ISO 1600/3200, f/2.8, 1/25-1/50"
2. Lighting is often shocking :lol: It took me a few gigs to get used to bad lighting
3. Some people think dragging the shutter (and therefore getting terrible shots) are cool, I've always hated them
4. As I said, it took me a few times to get used to it and get into the groove but photography is all about experience

1) Yeah i wasn't planning on flash but the ISO on the 400D as you would know is shocking. I was shooting at f1.8, ISO1600 and 1/30sec and still getting horrible shots.
2) this is true. It was my first gig so hopefully it will get better over time.
3) Agreed. I'm not a fan of it. Saying that it would be good to learn incase i ever need it.
4) Time will tell how i get into i guess.

The Moose
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 06:21
Yeah, Doggies. One of the reason I love sport is that it can throw the most amazing things up with ZERO warning!

Man, we have some good sports shooters around, I am in awe of a few of them.

Exactly that. Right now there's so many sports that interest me. AFL, NRL, A-League (somewhat :lol:), English football, union and cricket. It's great :D

By we, were you referring to the firm who shoots AFL? I can't think of the name right now but I've always known it...

1) Yeah i wasn't planning on flash but the ISO on the 400D as you would know is shocking. I was shooting at f1.8, ISO1600 and 1/30sec and still getting horrible shots.
2) this is true. It was my first gig so hopefully it will get better over time.
3) Agreed. I'm not a fan of it. Saying that it would be good to learn incase i ever need it.
4) Time will tell how i get into i guess.

I don't think the 400D's noise is that bad. It can be worse. Much worse. Like the 1D classic :lol: I've used both at gigs and I've been happy with the results. Here's my music collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/collections/72157615658987367/. The last four bands have some 1D shots.

Aszental
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 07:40
Anyone know how copyright works in Australia? If I photograph a family as a favour, does a newspaper have the right to publish the photos without my permission?

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 08:10
Anyone know how copyright works in Australia? If I photograph a family as a favour, does a newspaper have the right to publish the photos without my permission?
No, In Australia soon as you push that shutter button that image is copyrighted by you unless you give permission for someone to use it.

fungry
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 08:21
Your photo, your rights.

fungry
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 08:32
Today's tax from today, North Head.
Which do you prefer?
1. 580exii triggered camera right
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2465/3800117115_a0a10772a8_o.jpg
2. 580exii triggered camera left
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2619/3800116943_6a276b9332_o.jpg

alexanderGARDNER
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 09:24
Tax from today (Well, yesterday now!)...

http://alexander-gardner.smugmug.com/photos/614030337_qHTdU-XL.jpg

Damn some people are awesome to work with!

S7000
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 09:34

Nice conversion Al, lighting looks very natural too. :)

charlieharper
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 09:38
Ohh....I actually like this, it's a bit more "subtle". I find it to be sometimes quite annoying when looking at a photograph and the eye is drawn to a great big copyright notice, distracting from the subject..........

Tax will followI've got an interesting .FLV that covers this, I'll see if I can find it, and post the link to where I got it from.....

No, In Australia soon as you push that shutter button that image is copyrighted by you unless you give permission for someone to use it.Ummm Errr...Didn't they recently change the law, so that now if you take a commercial photograph of someone THEY own the copyright, unless of course one of the fine-print clauses in the contract you made them sign before you took their photograph assigns the copyright back to the photographer ??

CH

Edit: Awesome photograph Al, Thanks for sharing. How did you light it ??

S7000
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 09:49
Ohh....I actually like this, it's a bit more "subtle". I find it to be sometimes quite annoying when looking at a photograph and the eye is drawn to a great big copyright notice, distracting from the subject.

Subtlety is the key.

I only studied design for 6 months (I got hooked on photography so I dropped out to get my stuff together for that), but there's a few things that stuck in my head. :D

Aszental
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 09:54
[quote=charlieharper;8422259}

Ummm Errr...Didn't they recently change the law, so that now if you take a commercial photograph of someone THEY own the copyright, unless of course one of the fine-print clauses in the contract you made them sign before you took their photograph assigns the copyright back to the photographer ??
[/quote]

Been doing a little research, i think your right, however there was no payment between me and the family, i did it to them as a favour.

Act seems to imply that there has to be some sort of payment for the copyright to transfer between the parties.

(a) a person makes, for valuable consideration, an agreement with another person for the taking of a photograph (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s204.html#photograph) for a private or domestic purpose (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s35.html#private_or_domestic_purpose), the painting or drawing (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#drawing) of a portrait or the making of an engraving (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#engraving) by the other person; and
(b) the work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work) is made in pursuance of the agreement;
the first‑mentioned person is the owner of any copyright (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s10.html#copy) subsisting in the work (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/s189.html#work) by virtue of this Part.

charlieharper
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 10:07
AFAIK, That's why when you go to a studio to get yer piccy taken, the first thing they do is make you sign an "agreement" that assigns the copyright back to them. So YOU PAY THEM for THEM TO HAVE THE COPYRIGHT !!!

CH

coalcliff
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 10:46
Which do you prefer?

# 1, cause it was the first one I saw, but if I had to pick one it would be one, if that makes sense without trying to be silly.

http://alexander-gardner.smugmug.com/photos/614030337_qHTdU-XL.jpg

Definitely worth the effort Al, tell us more...:cool: Lookin as good as a David Jones ad

mickeyjuice
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 14:42
By we, were you referring to the firm who shoots AFL? I can't think of the name right now but I've always known it...

Nah, "we" the general public who get to see the images online and in the papers/magazines.

Old Fart
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 16:00
No, In Australia soon as you push that shutter button that image is copyrighted by you unless you give permission for someone to use it.

For photographs taken on or after 30 July 1998, the general rule on ownership depends on the purpose for which the photographs were taken:
• if the photographs were taken for “private or domestic purposes” (such as family portraits, or wedding photographs), the first owner of copyright in them is the client, unless the photographer and client agree otherwise; however
• if they were taken for any other purpose (e.g. commercial shots), the photographer will be the first owner of copyright, unless the photographer and client agree otherwise.

http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/...s_pdf/G011.pdf (http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G011.pdf)

The Moose
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 18:40
Nah, "we" the general public who get to see the images online and in the papers/magazines.

Oh, definitely! If I'm bored I'll go through websites like Getty Images' sports/editorial section and the AFL's one too but I still can't remember the name of them :lol: Always find some great shots there.

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 19:34

Very nice Al

fungry
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 20:50
# 1, cause it was the first one I saw, but if I had to pick one it would be one, if that makes sense without trying to be silly.

Definitely worth the effort Al, tell us more...:cool: Lookin as good as a David Jones ad
Thanks Damo.
Now that you mention it, seem so true. Looks like something they could use Al :D
For photographs taken on or after 30 July 1998, the general rule on ownership depends on the purpose for which the photographs were taken:
• if the photographs were taken for “private or domestic purposes” (such as family portraits, or wedding photographs), the first owner of copyright in them is the client, unless the photographer and client agree otherwise; however
• if they were taken for any other purpose (e.g. commercial shots), the photographer will be the first owner of copyright, unless the photographer and client agree otherwise.

http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/...s_pdf/G011.pdf (http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G011.pdf)
Ahh, makes sense. Copyright is such a grey area.

Just a note, this morning my Pacsafe CarrySafe 200 strap broke. Pictures will be coming up of what happened and I'm trying to find my docket so I can get it replaced at the shop :|. For a product that portrays itself as highly secure; it really makes me wonder...

alexanderGARDNER
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 20:52
UGH, feeling like crap this morning. Thanks for the comments folks.

In that shot Laura was lit via natural light via a large 10'x8' window into a white walled room. This next shot gives you an idea of the room, 12 stories over Albert Park, however I used a large 90cm softbox to add fill.

http://alexander-gardner.smugmug.com/photos/614280310_eS9A2-L.jpg

fungry
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 21:24
Loving your work Al. Great model :)

As promised earlier, here is the picture of the PacSafe CarrySafe 200 strap.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2537/3802882654_4d8b1e4e6f_o.jpg

charlieharper
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 21:24
UGH, feeling like crap this morning. Thanks for the comments folks.Someone hasn't had their morning coffee yet :D ??
In that shot Laura was lit via natural light via a large 10'x8' window into a white walled room. This next shot gives you an idea of the room, 12 stories over Albert Park, however I used a large 90cm softbox to add fill.

Reasons to be jealous of you.....

Great model
Great natural light
Great window
Fantastic having a white room naturally lit
Great location overlooking Albert Park
And your photography skills aren't too bad either :mrgreen:One question though...Could you of stopped down your aperture a bit bringing the outside into better view and compensated by upping the fill a tough ? Would that of worked ?

CH

alexanderGARDNER
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 21:50
Someone hasn't had their morning coffee yet :D ??

I've got a cold. There's fluid coming from places I didn't know I had.....and there wasn't enough honey in my tea. Ugggh.

Reasons to be jealous of you.....

Great model
Great natural light
Great window
Fantastic having a white room naturally lit
Great location overlooking Albert Park
And your photography skills aren't too bad either :mrgreen:One question though...Could you of stopped down your aperture a bit bringing the outside into better view and compensated by upping the fill a tough ? Would that of worked ?

CH

I could have picked up the crap in the distant by upping my shutter speed but as nice as the view was it would have detracted from the room and model. It's pretty much suburbia with water behind it in the harsh 2 o'clock sun. Not exactly pretty. I was thinking more along the lines of 'beach house on the Hamptons'.

One of the photographers there, Hoa, has a wonderful gift in the rapport he builds with his subjects and his eye to detail. I want to build a little of that in my next several shoots.

Loving your work Al. Great model :)

As promised earlier, here is the picture of the PacSafe CarrySafe 200 strap.

Thanks Ed....time for a newy eh?

rooeey
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 21:58
There seems to be a shortage of 100mm F2.8 Macro Canon lenses in the US.....
B@H and Ardorama both out of stock.....
I tried to buy from a US seller member twice but they just don't seem that keen on the extra hassles of selling OS ...Fair enough......

At todays Rates i can pick one up for under $700.00 AU new but i have to wait....Well actually i have no choice...

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 22:08
I got really bored... I really need to mow the lawn.

Backflipboy
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 22:33
Which do you prefer?

No. 1 but only because it has less shadowing.

Backflipboy
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 22:35
There seems to be a shortage of 100mm F2.8 Macro Canon lenses in the US.....
B@H and Ardorama both out of stock.....
I tried to buy from a US seller member twice but they just don't seem that keen on the extra hassles of selling OS ...Fair enough......

At todays Rates i can pick one up for under $700.00 AU new but i have to wait....Well actually i have no choice...
It's a good thing I snapped up Angus' one this week eh?

alexanderGARDNER
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 22:46
It's a good thing I snapped up Angus' one this week eh?

"The 100mm Macro is easily snapped up, but they'll be back and in greater numbers."

http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/blog/wp-content/20051219sandpeoplechoir.jpg

The Moose
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 23:02
Well that'll give us a richer harmony. Oh yes it will sound terrific! :lol:

Highlight_Photography
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 23:19
Now playing around with lighting.

mickeyjuice
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 23:25

It's not much more difficult, it's just that most US sellers don't believe we exist because they're so damned stupid.

fungry
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 00:07
It's not much more difficult, it's just that most US sellers don't believe we exist because they're so damned stupid.
+1

Dropped by Chatswood today and got my PacSafe replaced :)

The Moose
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 00:13
Does anyone in here have the Tamron 28-75? I'm considering it from B&H ($550 posted) over the Sigma 24-70 non-HSM ($600 going through CRKennedy). It seems to be such a good lens but the 24-70 seems pretty good too.

tupper
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 00:31
Does anyone in here have the Tamron 28-75? I'm considering it from B&H ($550 posted) over the Sigma 24-70 non-HSM ($600 going through CRKennedy). It seems to be such a good lens but the 24-70 seems pretty good too.

I am also looking at getting the Tamron 28-75 as its IQ is amazing for the cheap price. I would take it anyday over the Sigma as the Sigma's IQ is not as good.

The Moose
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 00:36
I am also looking at getting the Tamron 28-75 as its IQ is amazing for the cheap price. I would take it anyday over the Sigma as the Sigma's IQ is not as good.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking of getting the Tamron instead. People have said the Sigma is good but not great, whereas the Tamron is considered brilliant most of the time. I can only assume the AF is about the same on both though. Everywhere here (online) has the Tamron for about $800 so I checked B&H and it's much cheaper...

tupper
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 00:53
I can get it new for about $570 AUD, here in Indo. So probably better to get it from B&H than pay $800..

rooeey
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 00:57

I get the point....Every time i have posted in the WTB the first question they ask is which state are you in.....The response NSW seems to confuse them a little at times...

The Moose
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 01:00
I can get it new for about $570 AUD, here in Indo. So probably better to get it from B&H than pay $800..

Yeah definitely. That's why I never thought it was worth looking at, because it's so much more expensive from all of the Australian websites.

ANGUS
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 01:45
Some photos from a major fire in Sydney last night. Progressed to 10 Alarms making it the largest fire to strike Sydney in the past 5 years.

Welby
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:18
I had the Tamron 28-75 and loved it but the only reason i sold it was it just wasn't wide enough for me. I would buy one again if the need arose ;)

tupper
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:20
I had the Tamron 28-75 and loved it but the only reason i sold it was it just wasn't wide enough for me. I would buy one again if the need arose ;)

I will be using it on fullframe.. so it will be a tad wider!

NicD
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:22
Real Estate tax

Finally it works :)

tupper
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:29
Real Estate tax

hmm or not.... its not letting me upload :S

It won't let you until you start using your 70-200 more :lol:

fungry
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:30
Today's TAX: City to Surf
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3550/3803488104_9dfce853e3_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2454/3803488266_03dcc98331_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3802673513_3676b57389_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3803488624_7158c7f8c0_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/3803488784_5eab7a0667_o.jpg

NicD
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:31

I will be using it on wednesday.

I am shooting a high school basketball tournament and that will be main lens unless it is to long (which it shouldn't be)

charlieharper
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:33
http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/
Astone 1TB External Hard Drive

USB2.0, eSATA, Western Digital Hard Drive

Huge Capacity, High Speed Transfer!

Full 2 Year Warranty, Reliable Cooling Mesh Metallic Case

Today an external hard disk at a top price. 1TB capacity, dual interface, all in a rock solid reliable case by Astone with a Western Digital hard drive inside. Traverse the huge hard drive inside with high speed USB2.0 or ultra high speed eSATA. Available today for just $129.95 – a superb price for a dual interface device. All backed up by a 2 year warranty, safe in a metallic mesh case that offers great cooling and reduces electro-magnetic interference from other devices.

Hope this helps*

CH

*Standard disclaimer

The Moose
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:36
I've got some cupcake tax :lol: I was so bored and I had to shoot something so I got my flashes out and found a cupcake from Coles or Woolies. Ended up with 15 that I liked but I used my 18-55 kit lens for some variety and quicker movement and even shooting at f/8, I just don't like using it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3803489400_a6024a0fc9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/3803489400/)

The other four are: here, (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/3802674517/) here, (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/3802674425/) here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/3803489270/) and here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/3802674295/)

I will be using it on wednesday.

I am shooting a high school basketball tournament and that will be main lens unless it is to long (which it shouldn't be)

Nic, the 70-200 will be fine for basketball. I used it for all but one of the shots (obvious which one :lol:) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/sets/72157619501593105/

f/2.8 was alright shooting nearly a stop underexposed at ISO 1600/3200 on my 1D classic.

tangcla
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:38
I'll add to the waiting list of a 100mm macro too. I shouldn't have sold mine.

charlieharper
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:39
My 70-200 has a fault, which I believe is very common among owners of this lens..It is incredibly difficult to remove it from the camera body !

Want to take a portrait....Easier to take two steps back and leave it on there...Seems no matter what I want to do, it's easier to leave it on the body then it is to change it :D !!

Now, if it just had a "wide-mode" too, I'd never have to take it off the body !!

CH

mickeyjuice
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:51
My 70-200 has a fault, which I believe is very common among owners of this lens..It is incredibly difficult to remove it from the camera body !

Simple solution - buy an 85/1.2L. Sorted.

NicD
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 02:53
Nic, the 70-200 will be fine for basketball. I used it for all but one of the shots (obvious which one :lol:) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn-v/sets/72157619501593105/

f/2.8 was alright shooting nearly a stop underexposed at ISO 1600/3200 on my 1D classic.

Yeah i know the 70-200 is good for basketball BUT the stadium in which the games are played have a shorter distance between the baseline and the wall.

I will have no problem with the shooting of the game, i have played high level basketball for the past eight years. The only thing that could stop me is the amount of room for me to shoot in.

Want to take a portrait....Easier to take two steps back and leave it on there...Seems no matter what I want to do, it's easier to leave it on the body then it is to change it :D !!

Now, if it just had a "wide-mode" too, I'd never have to take it off the body !!

CH

Would you like to trade it for my 70-200? Mine doesn't have that horrible fault :lol::lol: