PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas - nature photography spots?

trudgy
29th of April 2009 (Wed), 15:29
Hey everyone,

I am going to a wedding in Las Vegas in a couple weeks and I've never been (from Ontario, Canada). I am just itching to get out with the camera 24/7 and wondering if anyone is from the las Vegas area or know of any off the beaten path areas to do some nature photography/city shots. Mainly things I wouldn't know about going on the main vegas attraction sites.

thanks

Marcy
29th of April 2009 (Wed), 20:56
Red rock state park and Valley of the Fire state park - both a short drive out of LV - good southwestern type scenery -

sued5320
29th of April 2009 (Wed), 21:36
trudgy...maybe you should talk to RedHotLama

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=685963

jgrussell
29th of April 2009 (Wed), 21:40
+1 for Valley of Fire State Park. Fabulous place.

RedHotLama
29th of April 2009 (Wed), 22:13
valley of fire without a doubt :)

trudgy
30th of April 2009 (Thu), 06:31
well those are the obvious places lol.

I had looked at RedHotLama's thread, great stuff.

I was hoping to find somewhere that wasn't well known area, or a special area in vegas that isn't the norm.

I suppose there are no secret places in or around Vegas anymore eh.

cheers.

sparker1
30th of April 2009 (Thu), 06:49
How far are you willing to go? About 100 miles is an area you might find interesting, called Gold Butte. Colorful rock, petroglyphs, old mining town, etc. Google it and see if it appeals to you. Bring your 4WD and your hiking boots.

I know of several hidden gems in northern NV, but you won't be close enough.

trudgy
30th of April 2009 (Thu), 13:02
ahh that places looks awesome and didn't find it on any searches in the area. Guess i'll change my car rental to a 4x4 then lol

sevans16
1st of May 2009 (Fri), 10:44
Nelson is a pretty cool little place to do some antique, ghost town photography.
it is about 30 mins from downtown.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=624217&highlight=vegas

Madweasel
2nd of May 2009 (Sat), 17:26
Red Rock and the Valley of Fire definitely, but anywhere in the Lake Meade Recreational Area is great too. I never believed there could be so much colour in a desert landscape. I could have spent weeks out there, rather than the three days I had free. I did a big round trip, out along Lake Meade Boulevard, then right round through the Valley of Fire and back into Vegas along the I-15 (if I remember correctly). Take plenty of water.