PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Cruise Ship

robie
13th of May 2009 (Wed), 01:29
I am wondering if you think working on a cruise ship would be a good idea. I would like to become a photographer on a cruise ship if I don't get into college this year for photography and am wondering if you really need college to get a job. I love to travel and would love to take some shots of the world. Would getting trained on a cruise ship be equivalent to college? Will employers like that? Thanks.

My favorite show, Departures has really inspired me to see the world even more.

robie
13th of May 2009 (Wed), 16:08
Is there anyone that can help?

hooookup
14th of May 2009 (Thu), 23:30
I think working on a cruise ship would be fun. You certainly would learn a lot and get to travel the world and see some amazing places, but it definitely won't replace a good college edumacation. Food for thought..

robie
15th of May 2009 (Fri), 02:38
I think working on a cruise ship would be fun. You certainly would learn a lot and get to travel the world and see some amazing places, but it definitely won't replace a good college edumacation. Food for thought.. No it wouldn't replace college and I want to get in. I am still waiting to find out.

elysium
15th of May 2009 (Fri), 02:44
I would love to, there have been ad on Gumtree and a few other sites but what I saw (cant remember company name) they will pay you as normal, food drink etc BUT you have to shoot Nikon AND buy your gear onboard the ship from their store. Not something I would want to do since I already have everything I would need.

Have a look into it and see what you can find. Be grateful if you do find anything, let us know. :)

deletedpenguin
15th of May 2009 (Fri), 04:23
BUT you have to shoot Nikon AND buy your gear onboard the ship from their store.

What?! That's rediculous! Not just shoot Nikon, but buy your gear onboard the ship? Why?

elysium
15th of May 2009 (Fri), 04:50
What?! That's rediculous! Not just shoot Nikon, but buy your gear onboard the ship? Why?
Ill try and find the ad. I was shocked. I asked them why, they said it was their policy. Needless to say, I passed on the application.

deletedpenguin
15th of May 2009 (Fri), 05:11
Yeah, I don't blame you.

Sparky98
16th of May 2009 (Sat), 23:01
In March of 2006 I talked to photographer on a Carnival cruise and was told that when they got on board the ship they were asked if anyone wanted to do the photography and he volunteered. He knew very little about photography but the cruise line provided the camera, lighting, and back drops. They gave him a quick lesson on how to operate the camera and how to set up the lighting and turned him loose. He said all the photographers had varying degrees of experience but none of them were hired as photographers.

I don't know if he was pulling my leg or telling me the truth but I have no reason to doubt him. You might check with the cruise lines and see what they say. I don't think being a cruise line photographer would get you any kind of college credit but it might help you get a job with Wal-Mart, Sears, or some other store that has a photography studio.

I do think that working on a cruise ship would be a lot of fun. You would get to go to some interesting places, meet a lot of people, and the food is great. It is something that I would consider if I were young and single.

harroz
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 05:51
Hey Robie,

I worked on cruise ships for a while, started in 2002, finished 2 years ago, went on as a photog and ended up as a photographic manager running the photography businesses on several ships, on ships I've been to over 50 countries and all 7 continents:) If you'd like to know more flick me an email instead of a pm.

what can it get you in future work? well thats up to you and your attitude and how far you wish to take your photography:)

Cheers
Mark