PDA

View Full Version : Question about Duty/Taxes into Canada

tommy_t
22nd of April 2005 (Fri), 12:09
Hi, this might be a stupid question but...

If I purches a used item from the US privately and have it shipped to Canada, do I have to pay duty or taxes on it?

I purchased a used D30, had it shipped and was charged duty on it. I applied for a refund and was denied.

Anyone know?

Bodryn
22nd of April 2005 (Fri), 19:20
I can't answer you directly but it makes me wonder about NAFTA (North America FREE TRADE agreement). What is that all about anyway?

Conk
22nd of April 2005 (Fri), 22:39
There is not supposed to be duty on camera equipment coming into Canada. Maybe it has to come from a retailer but that wouldn't make sense. I have the Government of Canada pdf file for duty fees. I can e-mail it if you want.

mrclark321
22nd of April 2005 (Fri), 22:54
I just purchased 2 lenses ( seperate sellers ) and got them delivered today via UPS. The total for both was $122 Can. That was for taxes and brokerage fees ( value of products was $315 Can. ) Yes this really sucks!! but it is annother lesson learned the hard way.If you are buying a product in the US to be shipped to Canada, UPS is the most expensive, but it is probably the fastest and safest. Next time you look at purchasing you really have to look at associated fees with what kind of shipping you use. This is not the fault of the sellers it is the fault of our government but it sure makes the total price go up!
What free trade!!

As I said before this is not the sellers fault, it is up to you to check out the cross border fees.

Dan

froman98
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 06:04
So if you send via UPS you avoid the duties and taxes?

Bruce Watson
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 07:01
Hi, this might be a stupid question but...

If I purches a used item from the US privately and have it shipped to Canada, do I have to pay duty or taxes on it?

I purchased a used D30, had it shipped and was charged duty on it. I applied for a refund and was denied.

Anyone know?

Under NAFTA, there are *NO* duties or customs on cameras, computers, etc. shipped from the States.

You will have to pay GST and PST (depending on the Province) and some kind of handling fee.

The cheapest is Canada Post. With Xpress service and insurance, it is quick and safe, you will pay taxes and $5 when you pick it up. The $5 is constant, regardless of value.

UPS is *notorious* for gouging on cross border shipments. The lowest rung service (cannot remember the marketing name) will hit you with substantial "brokerage" fees, even though there is not duty!

The higher end UPS serivce (Expedited, I think?) is more expensive, but there are no additional fees. Fedex has similar levels and costs of international service.

Ask and find out all the details, often the more expensive option is cheaper!

I buy from B&H and Beach all the time and have learned the hard way to pay for high end UPS/Fedex or go with mail.

YMMV.

tommy_t
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 11:04
Thanks for all replies.

But I'm still not clear on wheather duty/taxes are payable on used equipment from the US purchased privately.

I'm aware of brokerage fees but that applies to importing new stuff and I was not charged for that.

Thanks for again :)

Bruce Watson
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 11:08
Thanks for all replies.

But I'm still not clear on wheather duty/taxes are payable on used equipment from the US purchased privately.

I'm aware of brokerage fees but that applies to importing new stuff and I was not charged for that.

Thanks for again :)

The CCRA regulations should apply the same on private or commercial. I have exported equipment to the USA through Ebay and also bought used from there.

Always Canada Post, always sales taxes and $5 fee only. No duties.

GerryDavid
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 11:27
You cant get something sent from the states by Canada Post that I know of, since Canada post is in Canada. Thier version is the usps *united states post office*.

I was hit by the ups brockerage fee as well, even though the camera wasnt suppose to be sent to canada, stupid ebay seller, but anywase. :0)

A couple guys in my lighting class last term was talking about this and they were saying that fedex doesnt charge them duty or a brockerage fee, not just with the higher end one. But I would checkoout fedex's site before ordering something.

Bruce Watson
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 11:35
You cant get something sent from the states by Canada Post that I know of, since Canada post is in Canada. Thier version is the usps *united states post office*.

Let me clarify: in Canada, it is called Canada Post, in the US, United States Postal Service, but if you send from your home country PO, is is seemlessly handed off.

For USPS postal shipments to Canada, as I stated, you will be charged taxes and the fee on pickup. That is the case for camera equipment, both new and used. The only exception I am aware of is camera bags, because they are fabric or something weird like that.

I used Fedex for a shipment from Beach Camera in February; they charge a higher initial shipping fee like UPS Expeditied, but there are no additional brokerage fees due on delivery, just GST and PST (if you live in Ontario).

cjm
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 11:38
Expect Duty, it will be 7% plus $5.00 Service charge. ALWAYS expect duty. I have been charged duty on so many ridiculous things it isn't funny. We get a (ready to laugh?) a $20 Canadian Funds Duty free on merch and after that $20.01 CND they charge GST on the total of the item and a $5.00 Fee.

Sickest time I ever was charged duty was buying banknotes from an American seller, he sold me a few old ones, the total in Canadian funds minus S&H was $20.03! I had to pick up the letter and pay almost $7 for it. Only reason? Cause the eBay seller included a reciept in his yellow bubble envelope. That sucked the worst.

But always factor in duty on your purchase no matter what "they say" because if you factor it in, you wont be surprised, and usually the times you factor it in is the times they don't charge you. But when you are unsuspecting, thats when they seem to get people.

NAFT only applies to USA and Mexico, it doesn't seem to apply to any Canadians as long as the Fiberals are in charge of Canuckia. :(

Bruce Watson
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 11:39
Expect Duty, it will be 7% plus $5.00 Service charge. ALWAYS expect duty. I have been charged duty on so many ridiculous things it isn't funny. We get a (ready to laugh?) a $20 Canadian Funds Duty free on merch and after that $20.01 CND they charge GST on the total of the item and a $5.00 Fee.

Sickest time I ever was charged duty was buying banknotes from an American seller, he sold me a few old ones, the total in Canadian funds minus S&H was $20.03! I had to pick up the letter and pay almost $7 for it. Only reason? Cause the eBay seller included a reciept in his yellow bubble envelope. That sucked the worst.

But always factor in duty on your purchase no matter what "they say" because if you factor it in, you wont be surprised, and usually the times you factor it in is the times they don't charge you. But when you are unsuspecting, thats when they seem to get people.

NAFT only applies to USA and Mexico, it doesn't seem to apply to any Canadians as long as the Fiberals are in charge of Canuckia. :(

The 7 percent you quote is *NOT* duty, it is federal GST tax. Expect that and provincial tax where applicable, i.e. Ontario with another 8 percent.

Conk
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 12:16
Here is the Canada Customs Tariff Schedule regarding camera equipment.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/ch90ne.pdf
What Bruce said in his last post is 100% accurate.

For those wishing to see the entire index of items, http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2005/tablewithamendments-e.html

tommy_t
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 13:44
Thanks again, finaly clear on the subject. I won't bother appealing my refund then.

Thanks for all the help

mrclark321
24th of April 2005 (Sun), 18:32
The 2 lenses that I purchased I payed A $39.43 brokerage fee on each one plus taxes. The one lense they charged me $2.00 in Duty which I think they should not have, but for $2.00 they can shove it you know where!!!!

Dan