PDA

View Full Version : Best performing Canon SD Model"

NamJunNah
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 00:05
Hi, My friend is looking for an upgrade on her point & shoot camera and I need help which one out of the canon SD models would be the best for her. She really likes the SD990 IS but I would just like to confirm if that would be a good model for her. She's looking for a camera from the SD models that would perform the best. What do you think a good purchase would be?

Jon
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 08:49
Define "perform the best". Does she want it for big prints of landscapes? For photographing kids running around the yard? Older kids playing sports? Family at home? Other?

NamJunNah
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 11:19
I believe she is looking for mostly portrait pictures. Would you say a other brand of point & shoots would be better? Or strictly canon.

Jon
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 11:23
Indoor? Outdoor? Informal? Formal? Is she hoping for a blurred background/shallow DoF? Maybe post some examples of what she's doing now.

cpforyou
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 11:27
My girlfriend has an SD1100IS that seems to be working great for such a relatively low price (under $200). However, these cameras, most of them are so automatic, that under certain conditions, it is hard to get what you want.

For example, in indoors, if you use flash...well, I never really like flashes.
So if you want to shoot indoors, you can set a higher ISO, but there is no control over aperture or shutter, so you can set it for indoors, and it will chose a low aperture, but sometimes it doesn't, which means a slower shutter, which means you have to hold the camera mighty still to capture that shot and tell your people to hold still.

danpass
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 19:11
SD880

NamJunNah
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 23:13
Indoor? Outdoor? Informal? Formal? Is she hoping for a blurred background/shallow DoF? Maybe post some examples of what she's doing now.

It's pretty much informal. All around. She just takes pictures of her and her friends. Nothing special about her work.

NamJunNah
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 23:14
Anything wrong with the SD990? I tried searching for reviews here but didn't find any helpful information.

Jon
18th of May 2009 (Mon), 09:40
For what you describe, I don't think she'd see a great deal of difference among any of the current models unless and until she wants to control shutter speed and aperture settings herself. The SD990 will certainly give her more control over the photographic process than any of the other SD series can as it's the only model which will let her set those directly (it still has all the automation of the others in addition to this).

NamJunNah
18th of May 2009 (Mon), 12:10
She just came with a final dicision and order the 990. Thanks for the help.