PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a bad DJ experience.

imagesbybarbara
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 18:52
I am still kinda fuming over Saturdays DJ. Everyone knows on wedding days how rushed you are to get the photos you need and you come rushing into the reception site to get your lights up and get situated for the entrance and the first dance.....WELL, I was coming into the reception site with roller bag in one hand two light stands with flashes on them in the other the DJ was at the entrance with the wedding party all lined up. The bride and groom where a few minutes ahead of me so they just got in line and I had barely got into the door and he was going to call them in. I asked him politely if he could give me 2 minutes to get in and pop my flashes up and he said NO. I have never been so shocked by such behavior I barely made it across the dance floor and was able to get one stand up when they all came in.:shock: Needless to say I did not get the lights up as I would want them to be.

In addition to that I had my two lights intertwined with his speakers (so nobody would trip over them) he comes up to me and says do you mind moving your flashes they are blocking the sound of my speakers, I never heard of that one before how could a sunpak battery operated flash block sound from a huge speaker.

I have to say he was a good DJ that got everyone out dancing but had a alter ego. I just had to vent I have been thinking of this all day.

blondine
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 20:47
WOW... nope never. Good thing too cause with my smart mouth I probably would have told him he was an ars (of course in a very sweet lady like way! lol...)
I feel for you, its sad to see/hear that people would actually interfere with the photographer getting the best shots possible for the bride & groom.

Fade2
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 21:12
In addition to that I had my two lights intertwined with his speakers (so nobody would trip over them) he comes up to me and says do you mind moving your flashes they are blocking the sound of my speakers, I never heard of that one before how could a sunpak battery operated flash block sound from a huge speaker.

I have to say he was a good DJ that got everyone out dancing but had a alter ego. I just had to vent I have been thinking of this all day.

Sounds like you had the DJ from hell!
You'd think he was getting married!
What a butthole! :confused:

viet
17th of May 2009 (Sun), 23:14
Sorry for your bad experience.

I've seen really bad DJs to awesome ones, but none has been rude or turned down my request ever. Probably because I buy them a drink when I can and talk with them a little bit before hand. Always nice to have the DJ on your side.

pigtailpat
18th of May 2009 (Mon), 05:34
Barbara -

The DJ was very rude, he should have given you the extra time, but to be honest, and I state this as a customer not a pro, you were hired by the bridge and groom to be on time, and you should have been ready when things go fast. I know this is an extremely tough business, and you had the ceremony and to organize the logistics of everything must be very hard. This might be a sign in disguise that you need an assistant. And it is another link in your learning, so you'll be more prepared for the unexpected, so it'll all be good for you. A bad experience can actually be a good eye opener for you.

Yeoer
18th of May 2009 (Mon), 05:42
I've had a simular thing with regards to light positions asking to be moved... but usually it because the DJ think they will interfer with his sound quality which is fair enough, they think they will buzz or spike the spound when they fire... they never do but sometimes they take a bit of convincing. I usually rattle off a couple and show them what kind of picture i they take with the lights in place and are happy.

imagesbybarbara
18th of May 2009 (Mon), 16:35
Thanks all I needed to vent I could not get the situation out of my mind yesterday.

Blondine, its funny after he told me to move my flashes from in front of his speakers thats when I gave him "tude' and he came up to me and asked me if I was mad at him. I politely said no and turned and walked away from him.

This was the weirdest layout of events. The DJ did the toast right at the beginning then he announced dancing and then he went on to the bouquet toss and garter toss so I asked him what about the cake cutting? He said he had it scheduled much later. Well sad to say by that time half the guest had left already.