PDA

View Full Version : ah gots me a new scope and gear

troypiggo
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 03:47
Just thought I'd drop a quick line. I have to tell someone. Got a "new" scope - a Celestron C8 Schmidt-Cassegrain. Also got a 4x Powermate. The idea is to give some planets a shot - at least Jupiter and Saturn - and some of the other DSOs that are too small for my ED80. Have quite a range of focal lengths now, so many more options.

Of course, the day I paid for it all the clouds rolled in and yesterday we had some of the worst rain and flooding in Brisbane since 1974! The scope arrived yesterday. How does the weather know when someone buys new gear?

Adrena1in
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 07:57
Nice...first thing I did was confirm your location, because if you were in the UK I'd be cursing you right now!! ;)

Look forward to seeing some of your results. If I ever get another scope it'll be a high FL compound. (Mind you, in the Sky At Night magazine I was reading about a 20" Dobsonian, with a 24" in the pipeline. Only 6000!!! :o )

Nighthound
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 13:21
Big congrats Troy. The 8" will give a nice FL and good light grasp.

I miss my LX200 for planetary and Lunar. Do you have it rigged with Bob's Knobs to make collimating easier? They are great when adjusting in the dark, no wrench to fumble with.

You'll really enjoy the Powermate, nice chunk of glass isn't it?

Bob's Knobs:
http://www.bobsknobs.com/Celestron/Celestron.htm

Here's a link that might be worth bookmarking:
http://legault.club.fr/collim.html

troypiggo
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 16:21
Cheers guys! I'm really looking forward to these clouds sodding off.

Steve - great link on the collimating. I've read some other sites about it, but that is a very good resource. It doesn't have Bob's Knobs, although I have been advised to get them and I will.

I bought it used for a pretty good price. Figure it's a great entry into higher FL imaging. I have had in mind the C9.25 eventually, but it's another step up in cost and will possibly mean a mount upgrade too. Reckon if I sell this C8 in a year or 2 I should get close to my money back anyway.

Yeah, that Powermate is HUGE. Didn't realise how big it is.

I didn't mention that I also bought the Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom eyepiece. Don't do a lot of visual observing, and the couple of eyepieces I have obtained as "kits" with scopes etc are pretty crap. I know it's not top of the line, but it's not bottom level either. Figure it'll do for a long time for the amount of visual I do, versatile, and resale on them is pretty good too.

Nighthound
21st of May 2009 (Thu), 20:06
Cheers guys! I'm really looking forward to these clouds sodding off.

Steve - great link on the collimating. I've read some other sites about it, but that is a very good resource. It doesn't have Bob's Knobs, although I have been advised to get them and I will.

I bought it used for a pretty good price. Figure it's a great entry into higher FL imaging. I have had in mind the C9.25 eventually, but it's another step up in cost and will possibly mean a mount upgrade too. Reckon if I sell this C8 in a year or 2 I should get close to my money back anyway.

Yeah, that Powermate is HUGE. Didn't realise how big it is.

I didn't mention that I also bought the Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom eyepiece. Don't do a lot of visual observing, and the couple of eyepieces I have obtained as "kits" with scopes etc are pretty crap. I know it's not top of the line, but it's not bottom level either. Figure it'll do for a long time for the amount of visual I do, versatile, and resale on them is pretty good too.

Cool, I have Plossls and one Meade 2" eyepiece and they never get used. My reticle gets used the most. The weather doesn't allow much imaging so visual is pretty non existent. When you get the Bob's Knobs drop me a line, I have a very useful tip for installation.