PDA

View Full Version : New to Photography. need help on picture

darksike
25th of May 2009 (Mon), 14:34
Hello all.
First time poster but been reading POTN since I started the hobby. my fiance gave me a rebel xsi as advance b-day gift almost a month ago then the photobug bit me. Puchased 430 II and loved playing with it.
we went to the beach yesterday and this has been killing me. I have in mind that with the flash, I can maybe use enough light on her without making the sky too white. but it usualy turn out like the first image

I shoot everything in raw (learned it last week)so I can edit
(sorry I don't know how to link the image from flickr)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darksike/3564104456/

excuse my pp, not capable at it yet
this is what I have in mind (I darken a copy of above pic then erase the sky)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darksike/3563287431/

kit lens, rebel xsi
av mode f/ 3.5, 1/200, ec -1, iso200, 18mm, wb auto (flash -1 angled upper left with omnibounce)

is there a way to adjust setting like the last image without too much pp?
thank you in advance. very much appreciated

breathless
25th of May 2009 (Mon), 15:57
I understand the background, but your question is unclear. Please reiterate.

superstes
25th of May 2009 (Mon), 15:59
Hi darksike

Welcome to POTN.

To post a picture from flicker, open your flicker account and view your picture and click all sizes just above picture.

Scroll below the picture and copy the address inside 2. Grab the photo's URL:

On your post here click Go Advanced just below the text box and scroll down until you see the box Manage Attachments and click that, then in the box Upload File from a URL paste the flicker address you just copied and click upload, just make sure you write your post first or it won't upload, close the upload box then click Preview Post to make sure all is good then Submit Reply.

EOS_JD
25th of May 2009 (Mon), 16:02
When you are metering the scene, meter for the sky and set that reading in your camera (in manual mode).

Now when you shoot with your flash the camera will meter the sky correctly and will provide the illumination for your subject. What you may find is that the trees though will be very dark as the flash may not be able to illuminate them properly.

To adjust the camera settings (not using manual mode), use exposure compensation. You want to darken the sky increase the shutter speed or the widen the aperture

superstes
25th of May 2009 (Mon), 16:06
I think you want to expose for the sky and use your flash for fill light on you fiance.

This way your sky will be correctly exposed and your flash will light up your subject.

darksike
25th of May 2009 (Mon), 16:28
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2442/3564104456_ba1fd7e14b_o.jpg
1st pic

pic I wanted. if posible without pp
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3563287431_070f3b5f23_o.jpg

awesome it work :D. thank you so much superstes.

I did remember. I used spot metering with center auto focus then aimed at her shoulder when lightly pressing the shutter button. I don't know if her denim jacket made a difference.

what does expose for the sky mean? (sorry not familiar with the term)
does that mean when I auto focus and hold on the shutter button, aim the sky first?

superstes
25th of May 2009 (Mon), 17:08
awesome it work :D. thank you so much superstes.

I did remember. I used spot metering with center auto focus then aimed at her shoulder when lightly pressing the shutter button. I don't know if her denim jacket made a difference.

what does expose for the sky mean? (sorry not familiar with the term)
does that mean when I auto focus and hold on the shutter button, aim the sky first?

No prob's with flicker, makes life here a little easier :D

I'll leave the strobe stuff to the more knowledgeable, but your main focus point should be on the eyes, turn your camera counter clockwise for this type of shot, it isolates your subject better, take full length shots then get closer, when you think your close enough, get closer, always focus on the eyes, when your really close play with f/8 f/5.6 f/3.5 see what different effects you get..

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Steve

bsaber
26th of May 2009 (Tue), 13:55
As others have said, expose for the sky and let the flash do the rest. Point the camera up at the sky and adjust shutter speed (which is limited to 1/200 or 1/250 depending on camera) to the max sync speed and adjust the aperture until you get a "proper" exposure. Leave the FEC alone and it should do just fine. should...

darksike
27th of May 2009 (Wed), 16:01
thank you again guys. I think I got the picture (no pun intended :) ) I took a couple more yesterday and it's getting there

bsaber
27th of May 2009 (Wed), 16:22
Hope to see the results soon :D