PDA

View Full Version : How do you cut your paper?

Dave.H
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 10:51
I am sure this has been brought up before but I am struggling to find the answer. I've recently printed several 8x10s, but I printed them on 8.5x11 paper. Everything is fine for those I frame, but for the ones I want to put in my portfolio I've tried a couple different paper cutters and it seems they don't stay sharp enough for long enough to give me a nice smooth perfect edge, the edge is straight but you can tell it was cut and it is not something I want to use for presentation to others.

So what have you had good luck with? I'm thinking of just using an xacto knife and a strait edge.

René Damkot
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 10:55
Rotatrim.

ChasP505
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 11:04
We have an industrial paper cutter at work. It can cut a ream of paper cleanly and accurately.

cdifoto
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 11:05
Metal ruler and fresh box cutter blade. Requires care but my Dahle sucks.

Sorarse
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 11:06
I use a guillotine with a rotary cutting blade (is that what Rene referred to as a Rotatrim?)

photographerinoregon
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 11:35
i just use a paper cutter and it does a excellent job. it has measurments on it too so you dont have to measure with nothing but the cutter. its cuts nice also and i think it was like 40 bucks but i have used it for 3 years now and done alot of cutting 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10's out of the 8.5x11.00 paper

kevin

Lowner
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 15:00
A really old and cheap guillotine that just keeps soldiering on. It must be at least 30 years old if not more.

René Damkot
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 15:16
(is that what Rene referred to as a Rotatrim?)

Rotatrim (http://www.rotatrim.co.uk/product.php?product_code=4) ;)

Dave.H
3rd of June 2009 (Wed), 15:48
Rotatrim (http://www.rotatrim.co.uk/product.php?product_code=4) ;)

We have a large one like that here at work, maybe it has just been used on too much paper and it is too dull, but it left less than pleasant edges.

at home we have the one my wife uses for scrap booking, again maybe it has seen too much cutting. Sounds like I am the only one having bad luck, I'll go pick something up for just me :)

Bobster
4th of June 2009 (Thu), 08:21
cutting board, scalpel and metal straight edge

Brikwall
4th of June 2009 (Thu), 12:38
I leave my 8.5 x 11 inch paper at that size. The extra material is handy when mounting for a matte, and my portfolio takes 8.5 x 11 inch page sizes so I don't have to trim them for that purpose. With clients, unless they ask me to matte and/or frame the photos for them, I never how they are going to be mounted. I'd rather play it safe and leave them a little extra material than trim to size and cause problems for them later.

But when I do trim to size, I use either a guillotine-style cutter or an exacto knife with metal straight-edge. Which one depends on the paper dimensions and thickness.