PDA

View Full Version : air show

THIEF
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 17:33
Still working on resizing files , thought just start w/ this one.
C&C please.

most of my shots were throw aways,came out too blurry,this one had nice composition,clearly see navy logo on plane.like??

Megapixle
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 18:00
C&C please.

If I'm being completely honest it looks like a mediocre snapshot. Nothing interesting about it really. Sorry if that's too harsh, just my opinion.

silvrr
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 18:03
Might want to put this in the transportation section.

THIEF
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 18:05
Just liked the composition.
Im no pro though.

SkipD
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 18:06
Constructive criticism - the shot is underexposed.

I also tend to agree with post #2.

unmanedpilot
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 18:29
The Critique Corner would be a good place for this too since the OP wants C&C http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Anyway, here's my fairly harsh C&C on the photo. The subject is back lit, its the underside of the aircraft which is quite boring unless there are weapons, and there's a lot of un used space in the image. Overall, it dosen't stand out as an Air Show photo.

My advise is to check out this site, should give you a good start for taking Air Show photos:http://www.richard-seaman.com/Photography/Airshows/index.html

Also, I took a look at the EXIF and I have a question, how is the photo not darker then it already is with the settings you used? :confused:

# Exposure Time = 1/1250 second
# Lens F-Number/F-Stop = F29
# ISO Speed Ratings = 1600

crn3371
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 18:31
What Skip said. Perhaps the Mods can move this over to transportation. To the OP, we're not trying to be unduly harsh, but if you were to take a look at some of the airshow threads over in the transportation section you'll see what we are referring to.

Luke Cern
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 19:08
As one who prepares for airshows and has used a progression of bodies and lenses in pursuit of success, I would say that you should have used the full length of your zoom, i.e.300mm as a minimum.

You don't need to stop down to achieve depth of field at that distance so make the most of your aperture and that will give you higher shutter speeds.I can't explain why you took this at f/29. I don't believe that, so it must have been in some mode. f/8 would have been fine. Finally, whatever your auto exposure system is telling you, under these shooting conditions its wrong! It measured the larger sky area and closed the aperture resulting in underexposure. Always add at least one stop and check the histogram for exposure to the right.

Takes practice, so don't give up. Your kit can achieve good results. Were you using multiple shot? You should, and track the plane.

THIEF
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 19:16
Thanks for the advice.seen alot of "pro quality" pics on here concerning air shows and this was my first time out.I know this isnt my best,but i like it.Thanks

summerwind4
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 21:43
hey Air Show pics are not easy..........i thought i was going to go out with my 100-400 and get some great shots.............not so. i can see lots of practice with the lens in my future.
read all the topics you can find, try every combination of settings, learn to pan....etc.
best of all you are on the right board for the best in critics and their reasons.

my mediocre shots

summerwind4
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 21:44
just 1 of probably 15 shots that weren't totally blurred, and nothing fantasic

PhotosGuy
11th of June 2009 (Thu), 21:55
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/PhotosGuy/Forum%20Junk/Welcome-ChargerRT_020.gif