PDA

View Full Version : BEautiful Model - No Money = NO Shoot? OK OK Model - Money = Shoot

[godfather]
17th of June 2009 (Wed), 14:05
OK I am facing this from some days.

I came accross several models who are really really good looking, but they are not willing to spend money or they dont have for a folio shoot.

And there are some other, who look OK OK or may be not that pleasant but have money as I asked for the folio.

So in both the situation what would be your take?

I mean if I find that model is good looking and is photogenic, I believe I should work with her to increase my popularity and work profile, even if shes not having any money, but what if the models who are not that good looking but have money comes to know that I did a free shoot with some other model?

RDKirk
17th of June 2009 (Wed), 14:51
I mean if I find that model is good looking and is photogenic, I believe I should work with her to increase my popularity and work profile, even if shes not having any money, but what if the models who are not that good looking but have money comes to know that I did a free shoot with some other model?

You can do what you want to do. Even with my own wall portraiture, I have from time to time set a project for myself and solicited an appropriate model. They get some free work for their time. The fact that I've given free work to a model that I solicited does not prevent me from charging a fee to clients who solicit me based on the project I did for free.

Clear? The one doing the soliciting is the one who pays, even though I'm only paying "in kind."

DDCSD
17th of June 2009 (Wed), 15:11
I guess it all depends on if you want to make money or if you want to be popular with pretty girls because you take their pictures for free.

There's nothing wrong with doing some TFP work with someone that you think will really help out your portfolio, but you'll get nowhere fast by limiting yourself to only working for the beautiful people.

cdifoto
17th of June 2009 (Wed), 15:13
Take the "OK OK" looking girl's money and make her look hot. She'll tell all your friends how awesome you are and you'll make money. It takes very little skill to make a supermodel look like a supermodel.

Daz3210
18th of June 2009 (Thu), 08:51
Think of it this way. You never do anything for free. There is always something you can get out of anything you do. You do a session for no charge, you get the prints to add to your portfolio, which you show to others, which may just get you paid work. In the long term you get the benefit of that session you did for 'free' as you considered it at the time.

CJinAustin
18th of June 2009 (Thu), 12:44
I've done some freebies to build my portfolio... In the end i think it's usually worth it "if" she is a good model "and" you couldn't be making money during that time with someone who would pay.

mbell75
22nd of June 2009 (Mon), 02:58
I never shoot free unless the model has some name and face recognition. Like shes been a Playmate or is fairly well known. if she is just some random Myspace "model", why bother?

cdifoto
24th of June 2009 (Wed), 17:39
I never shoot free unless the model has some name and face recognition. Like shes been a Playmate or is fairly well known. if she is just some random Myspace "model", why bother?
Because even Playmates are random myspace models until Playboy discovers, dolls up, photographs, airbrushes, and prints them.

thebishopp
24th of June 2009 (Wed), 17:58
Because even Playmates are random myspace models until Playboy discovers, dolls up, photographs, airbrushes, and prints them.

This is true... didn't they pull some people from myspace for a playboy spread? I recall seeing this on an episode of "the girls next door" last year.

wizkidd
3rd of July 2009 (Fri), 20:01
Take the "OK OK" looking girl's money and make her look hot. She'll tell all your friends how awesome you are and you'll make money. It takes very little skill to make a supermodel look like a supermodel.

+1

The people she refers to you won't expect free pictures

mbell75
4th of July 2009 (Sat), 13:11

Does a random Myspace or Model mayhem model have PLAYBOY PLAYMATE on their resume and some name and face recognition? Didnt think so, I dont care about looks so much.

kandyredcoi
6th of July 2009 (Mon), 05:13

+1 in a business standpoint, this is your best bet

woodsters
12th of July 2009 (Sun), 08:39
Are you shooting for money or to make your portfolio look better? If for the money, then who cares what they look like. If to enhance your portfolio then I agree do some TF work.

I agree with cdifoto....

Jon Foster
12th of July 2009 (Sun), 21:13
Obviously I (we) need to make money if photography is a way to earn a living but being your own boss gives you the freedom to charge or not charge at will. There are plenty of reasons I will do a photo shoot for free. But there are also plenty of reasons I would charge a fee or even charge a huge fee if I feel there is a reason.

Jon.

Cole_Schmitt
13th of July 2009 (Mon), 19:11
Shooting the OK looking girls will make you money & popularity where shooting the beautiful women only make you popular. Your choice though

charlesu
13th of July 2009 (Mon), 20:04
Does it have to be a choice between the two? Or can you do both?

Moppie
14th of July 2009 (Tue), 03:09
Does it have to be a choice between the two? Or can you do both?

I don't have a problem doing both.

Who pays who, or if money even exchanges hands is entirly up to you and the model.
Sort it out before hand, get it out of the way, then worry about taking photos, and hope they look as good as Charless.

charlesu
14th of July 2009 (Tue), 06:25
It's all a negotiation. If Heidi Klum knocked on my door and offered to do nudes for $100 an hour, I would sell my car and shoot her. However, if an cute local model shows up and asks for $100 an hour I would turn her down. But, if she offered to do TF and I thought she had a good look, I might shoot with her.

Now, if a girl has limited or no potential for me to do anything with creatively or she is not interested in my style of work (say an actress who needs a headshot and a full length shot) then I don't care how stunning she is, she is almost certainly going to pay. I might make an exception for a major star but that's about it.

And, so far, neither Heidi Klum, nor any major motion picture stars have knocked on my studio door.

7th of August 2009 (Fri), 10:45
im 21 and i view it this way..... if you photograph the good looking ones for free, you might get laid.

flipstyle72
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 11:06
Accept money from ANYONE... free shoots to the pretty ones that would add quality to your port.

Toblerone
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 13:05
im 21 and i view it this way..... if you photograph the good looking ones for free, you might get laid.

eh?? come again?? ( or actually don't) :rolleyes:

anywho, this is a little sad...

CJinAustin
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 13:29

Hey, you're just bein' honest. :lol:

flipstyle72
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 14:26
eh?? come again?? ( or actually don't) :rolleyes:

anywho, this is a little sad...

HAHAHA:cool:

7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:01
clearly no one on this forum can ever take a joke

Moppie
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:14

Lots of people here can take, or make a joke, but when talking about certian subjects a certian level of maturity is expected.

7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:25
Lots of people here can take, or make a joke, but when talking about certian subjects a certian level of maturity is expected.

thats why i clearly stated "im 21 and my view is....."

although it really isnt, it was meant for a giggle

Moppie
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:27
Can I suggest using: :lol: :lol: and :p :p next time :cool:

7th of August 2009 (Fri), 20:32
thanks, just not in the habit yet with the icons

[godfather]
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 05:32
Did a photoshoot for free, now model is asking photos without tags and the ones she had, she alread removed the tags. I know if I will send her mor epics, she will remove the tags. Because she's saying that her cousins are in her orkut friendlist and they will get to know about the shoot, which she dont want to tell them.

Wshat should I do now?

flipstyle72
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 10:17

My philosophy - I rather make people incredibly Happy or totally offended. Usually any where in between is boring.:cool: <--that's me trying to be cool.

RDKirk
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 10:27
Wshat should I do now?

Do what benefits you. If there is no benefit to you, don't do it. You are the one "paying."

Personally, I never deliver anything any time in any way without my studio identification and my copyright notice. In commercial digital products, it will be in the EXIF. For personal commission print products, including digital files intended for print or Internet, it will be on the image itself. I do provide "freebie" images specifically for email and social networking--those always have my studio imprint.

Jon Foster
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 12:19
;8425993']Did a photoshoot for free, now model is asking photos without tags and the ones she had, she alread removed the tags. I know if I will send her mor epics, she will remove the tags. Because she's saying that her cousins are in her orkut friendlist and they will get to know about the shoot, which she dont want to tell them.

Wshat should I do now?

What? Even a free shoot is subject to your standard contract terms. Do you allow your clients to edit your work? Specifically, to remove your copyright? Is that what you mean by her removing the tags? And because she doesn't want her cousins to know about the shoot? This is not cool.

Jon.

[godfather]
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 13:13
Yes thats what I mean. I had my name and website on the photos as a tagline. She cropped the photos. When I asked her about that she told me that cousin story. Now she have uploaded some 4 images with all the tags/copyrights removed. When I asked her its unethical, she said I am rude. Now shes asking me to send her the remaining photos in ORIGINAL format, unedited. I said I wont send orignal, only ones with my tags, she replied me very straightly "Okies, I will edit them."

I had told her that now I am not sending her any photos. I will only send if you will pay me my fees. Otherwise do not ask me for the pics. I believe I did a right thing.

DDCSD
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 21:17
Next time I would suggest shooting the ugly girls that pay and don't violate the terms of the agreement.

charlieharper
10th of August 2009 (Mon), 01:54
As I understand it, That is the sort of attitude that differentiates between photographers and GWC's ............

CH

PCthug
10th of August 2009 (Mon), 07:10
;8425993']Did a photoshoot for free, now model is asking photos without tags and the ones she had, she alread removed the tags. I know if I will send her mor epics, she will remove the tags. Because she's saying that her cousins are in her orkut friendlist and they will get to know about the shoot, which she dont want to tell them.

Wshat should I do now?

1. Sell her the pics, and let her know she can do what she wants with them.
2. Refuse to send her anymore for free until she replaces your tag, and promises to leave the tag on in future.
Or 3. insist that she credits you somewhere, where they are being used.

Most of my shoots have been for free, and i haven't water marked or tagged any so far (more fool me), but i have insisted that they credit me for them.
I am now in the position where i dont NEED to do them for free, and in fact need paying a small contribution as i use a studio that i must pay for.
The people i have already shot for free i will continue to do so as they have been great and helped me get used to my equipment.

I think i am getting better, and can produce half decent images now, so if they want a fair quality shoot, then they must pay for it. If they want a practicing amature taking snaps of them then they can get that for free.

BTW, the most i have charged is 20.

Cosha
10th of August 2009 (Mon), 07:19
As I understand it, That is the sort of attitude that differentiates between photographers and GWC's ............

CH

As i understand it, few few posts below he was Joe-King :D:D

Shoot for free and then when her friends want shooting, name your price :D

10th of August 2009 (Mon), 17:19

CH

whats a GWC? and yes it was a joke.

Jon Foster
10th of August 2009 (Mon), 20:54
GWC = Guy With Camera.

Jon.

pressureworld
12th of August 2009 (Wed), 18:38
;8427503'] When I asked her its unethical, she said I am rude. Now shes asking me to send her the remaining photos in ORIGINAL format, unedited. I said I wont send orignal, only ones with my tags, she replied me very straightly "Okies, I will edit them."

I had told her that now I am not sending her any photos. I will only send if you will pay me my fees. Otherwise do not ask me for the pics. I believe I did a right thing.

This is both crazy and sad. You did the right thing in my opinion. I shot a model last weekend who photoshopped the images I gave her after I retouched them. She then put them on MM. My name was on them so I asked her to remove them and she agreed, but only if I gave her the images again without my name.

[godfather]
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 01:51
You know, till now, I have came accross a bunch of wanna be models & Pros, what I can observe is, no one is ready to spend a single penny.

All ask me, if I can provide them work, only then we will get a folio (paid) from you otherwise not. And fortunately, I have a contact with fairly good Event Management company, and when I assure them that I will send your folio to them, theey never come back.

I am not sure about the trend in India. People in this Fashion and Glamour are so noobs, the dont see a folio as an investment, they always want to get signed before they get their first in life shoot.

So Pathetic.

Lightworks Imaging
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 01:54

Hear, hear!!! You want to get ahead, find a way to make a name for yourself shooting "average" models and making them look fantastic. Any paying gig that I can get, is a good gig to get! I can shoot pictures for free anytime, anywhere.

Halliday
15th of August 2009 (Sat), 03:41
Any model willing to pay, I will shoot.
I get lots of offers of TFCD shoots from "ok" models. I turn them down. I will of course shoot them for $ :)
I have some real stunners pay me too. That's even better. I won't shoot for free unless the model is good looking enough to go into my port.

Halliday
15th of August 2009 (Sat), 03:44

Wshat should I do now?
I'm not sure what that all said, but it sounds like she wants more than was first agreed on. I'd make her pay for anything more than you agreed to deliver.

I think it will be a double post here. Sorry :P

Karl Johnston
15th of August 2009 (Sat), 03:46
:lol: I can see the line up at your door now !