PDA

View Full Version : UPS to deliver "end of day"?

blackmatch456
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 01:51
A lens was shipped by a POTN member via 2nd day air and the tracking info says it should be here tommorrow, and "end of day".

What time should I expect to have it?

And if it was insured up to $500, will I have to sign for it?

binlerne
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 02:14
You will only need to sign if the person who shipped it payed to have signature confirmation. End of day usually shows up around 5pm-6pm for me, but may depend on the routes for your area.

Jim Robinson
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 11:32
UPS second day is usually delivered by 4:30pm here (Kansas City) I've seen UPS deliver stuff as late as 8:00pm though.

fibrepunk
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 12:28
It all depends on the ROUTE.

sonnyc
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 13:42
For me UPS - 6-7pm - always
Fedex - 9-10am - always
USPS - 11:30-12:30 on the clock

hfgarris
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 13:47
I believe "end of day" simply means it will be delivered by your regular carrier as per his daily route, delivered on that day. This will be morning for some people, or later in the day for others. This is as opposed to the sender paying extra for "AM delivery" which will be sent by a special-route delivery truck to guarantee morning delivery.

As mentioned, "signature required" has nothing to do with the value of the shipped item, it is a request (at extra cost) by the seller to insure a package is left in someones hands rather than simply left on the porch or at the door.

-howard

jasonlitka
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 16:36
As mentioned, "signature required" has nothing to do with the value of the shipped item, it is a request (at extra cost) by the seller to insure a package is left in someones hands rather than simply left on the porch or at the door.

Not true. If the shipper pays extra for a signature (or adult signature) then the package will not be delivered without a signature. Just because someone didn't check that box though doesn't mean that they won't ask for a signature anyway. Small packages with a high insured value (relative) will require a signature regardless of whether or not one is requested, as will many packages delivered to high-risk areas (apartments, homes close to the street with nowhere to hide a box, etc.).

LamontSanders
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 17:03
7pm is the stated end of ground delivery as per UPS. They can go later if the driver is slammed. When I got a lens last week at 630p, the guy said he still had 2 hours left of deliveries. Patience!

Saint728
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 17:31
It really depends on what time your UPS driver is in your area? They just say end of day because they can not determine when your driver will be in your area so they say end of day to be safe. During Christmas time we deliver until 9:00pm. If we can't get our route done before 9:00pm we call in back up help.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

DeaconG
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 17:40
Might be a good idea just to take the day off.

Since I work evening shift the majority of the time UPS ships to me there's either a box by the door or a InfoNotice tag when I get home. UPS shows up at my door while I'm home about 1 time in 4 (unlike FedEx, who have never NOT shown up), so if that anticipation is messing with you, take a personal day.

gasrocks
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 17:59
Just be patient and wait. Do not even think about complaining even if it does not show up. I did once to FedEx and my next 2 deliveries had some kinda in house problem which slowed them down an extra 3 days, sigh. You'll get it, relax.

MikeFairbanks
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 18:06
I've never had much luck with UPS.

I ordered things through them a couple times and when it was a 2-3 day delivery they'd say, 2-3 days doesn't count the pickup or delivery day, and doesn't include Saturdays or Sundays.

So 2-3 days really meant a bloody week!

Saint728
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 19:46
I've never had much luck with UPS.

I ordered things through them a couple times and when it was a 2-3 day delivery they'd say, 2-3 days doesn't count the pickup or delivery day, and doesn't include Saturdays or Sundays.

So 2-3 days really meant a bloody week!

2 days means 2 days with UPS. They go by business days, not actual days. So if you order something on Saturday or Sunday don't think your going to get it on Monday or Tuesday. It also depends on when the place you bought it from tells UPS to pick it up. Most places will call UPS for pick up late in the afternoon just before closing so they get all their orders out. If you order something on Monday morning and the place actually gets UPS to pick it up by 12:00pm, then you will have it at your door in 2 days which is Wednesday. Saturday delivery cost an arm and a couple of legs. If you need something by the weekend, don't wait until mid week to order it. If you really need it bad then use UPS Next Day AirŪ Freight.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

440roadrunner
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 21:14
A heads up. Make DAMN SURE that on anything of much value you DEMAND signature confirmation. I bought a Bogen tripod on eFray through fedx, took about 20 minutes to "walk" right off my front porch. THEY WILL NOT INSURE against that kind of loss.