PDA

View Full Version : My first JOB.

papucla10
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 22:22
My first job, I have been photographing family and friends events since 2006, I consider myself capable of capturing decent images, I preferably like portrait work and started school about 6 months ago a BFA. A friend of my mother in law was looking for a portrait work of her 2 years old daughter, she was thinking in taking he to J penny studio but I think she thought they charged to much, my mother in law told her I was going to school for photography and the lady liked the idea, my mother i law told me yesterday and I told her I was going to try to do my best to do the work for her. I feel confident in doing the job but I just don't know how much to charge, do pros charge per hour per work or per photos? I just want to start in the right path. Help is appreciated.

Here is a sample of my work. a quick snap shot of my wife in the NY ferry. Not really a session.

brit84
1st of July 2009 (Wed), 23:42
you can charge what you want, many do per hour in addition to prints, books, albums, cds etc. The market will decide what you are worth based on you exprerience and portfolio.

How much does the jc penny charge? Many of the wal-mart, sears, penny places are not professional photogs, just someone who site you down in fornt of a drop and presses a button. You could look up how much they charge and price accordingly.

papucla10
2nd of July 2009 (Thu), 00:11
I think she said like 200. I think I can charge her like 100 and give her a cd with the pictures she likes the most. I don't know how and where to print the photos either, I will start printing photos of my family soon to start getting experience, I will do a portrait work of my children tomorrow, I will try to come out with the most professional work I can, I will make PP Digital copies, prints and packages so I have an idea of what to present to future customers.

Karl Johnston
2nd of July 2009 (Thu), 01:21
I think that's a great portrait

DarksideTi
2nd of July 2009 (Thu), 10:04
I think she said like 200. I think I can charge her like 100 and give her a cd with the pictures she likes the most. I don't know how and where to print the photos either, I will start printing photos of my family soon to start getting experience, I will do a portrait work of my children tomorrow, I will try to come out with the most professional work I can, I will make PP Digital copies, prints and packages so I have an idea of what to present to future customers.

Sounds like a good starting point to me.

black_z
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 02:06
Your wife has some beautiful eyes! :)

scorpio_e
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 13:11
I think 100 is a good starting point :)

PhotosGuy
9th of August 2009 (Sun), 11:01
1st, I'd have cropped that shot as a vertical. I don't see where the walls add to the shot? I think I can charge her like 100 and give her a cd with the pictures she likes the most. 2nd, I suggest that you maintain control over your work. Keep in mind that, if you sell a Cd of images for them to make green, underexposed, crappy prints at the corner drugstore, not only will you lose the sales, but those will be your crappy prints that will be shown to their friends & your potential future clients? ;)