PDA

View Full Version : Elk in the Smokies

huntersdad
22nd of July 2009 (Wed), 21:28
I'll be in Asheville, NC for some training in September. As I understand from both research and first hand comments, that time of the year the elk start bugling and make some great photo ops. My question pertains to anyone who has possibly been in this area.

I'll be shooting a 40d and have a 100-400L. Additionally, I have a Kenko 1.5 TC, which works decent though not great and a solid tripod. I've thought about buying the Canon 1.4 but the loss of autofocus concerns me as I am not quite to the point I trust my manual focus skills. That being said, for those who have been to the area, will the 100-400 do or is it going to be too short for some good close-ups?

Traumuh
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 00:58
Drop me a PM after your trip. I'm thinking about going to school in Asheville. :)

kywolftn
27th of July 2009 (Mon), 18:49
you want need anything but the 100-400
i see them more in the late evenings, i have taken dozens of shots of them september will be a busey month due to start of fall color so be ready for a lot of people
go to http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cataloochee.htm

cataloochee is the place to go,,,,,need more information email me, blackberryridgeresort.net