PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Body Question for you Wedding Photogs

archaeoman
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 08:51
I shoot with the 5D and you see my gear in my sig. (Just returned the 100-400 for the second time in as many years. Just don't like that lens.)

1. I will be slowly moving into wedding photography and know I need a 2nd body. I don't want, nor do I think I need to, drop the cash on another FF. What crop body would you suggest and why? My budget for the 2nd body is around 500. Preferably a little less.

2. I just read a thread concerning the "need" for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS for weddings. It sounds like my 135L and 85L should do the job nicely. If I need the zoom I have other options in my bag. What do you think? Sounds like I will manage just fine with what's in my bag now.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mark

cdifoto
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 08:51
1. 30D. No brainer.

2. I sold my 70-200 IS and replaced it with a 135L. I don't miss the former. It's convenient but the "need" for it is overrated. The latter is better for me because it's small, light, and fast.

Peacefield
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 11:20
Yeah, a 30, 40, or 50D would be good choices and it's nice to have a 1.6 camera to go with a FF as it doubles your lens assortment. That said, The 5D2 is such a good camera for weddings and dark churches, I can't imaging shooting one without it. Think harder about the expense. If you're talented and can command a decent price, the investment returns itself in one weddding.

bric-a-brac
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 11:27
1. 30D. No brainer.

2. I sold my 70-200 IS and replaced it with a 135L. I don't miss the former. It's convenient but the "need" for it is overrated. The latter is better for me because it's small, light, and fast.

+1 just did the same thing!

135L on a crop is great reach and an extra stop of light. still super sharp wide open too.

oakeycoke
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 12:20
Personally I prefer the ergonomics of the xxxD cameras to the xxD ones, so I'd go for the new 500D which has many of the attributes of the 50D including the 920,000 dot screen for easier reviewing.

Its lighter than the 50D and has the HD movie mode which works ok in the 720 mode setting. Its lightness is a boon at all day weddings, and can be neoprene strapped around your neck for quite some time with the 135L attached without causing neck ache.

I thing you would be hard pushed anyway to tell the difference between the images taken by the 30/40/50D and 450/500D at low iso and pixel peaking at high iso to reveal minor differences between them.

Unfortunately the 500D is still a little over your 500 body only price, about 570.

cdifoto
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 12:23
Mixing and matching control layouts is a recipe for disaster.

Besides, the Rebel layout of controls actually sucks for fast shooting. You'd be the first and probably only one who prefers the ergonomics of the rebels to that of the prosumer and professional bodies.

oakeycoke
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 14:11
Mixing and matching control layouts is a recipe for disaster.

I would tend to agree though its not impossible to mix and match I found that using a 20D and 450D together it was far easier to adjust settings with the 450D. I could never get my head around the 20D's piddling small top lcd screen where you press a button for say the iso/drive and then rotate either the main dial or quick control dial to adjust one or the other, invariably i'd rotate the wrong one and hence adjust the wrong setting. Thats if I could read the setting anyway, once you get past a certain age then you need a screen that is larger and clearer especially when the info isn't available in the viewfinder.

The only control on the 500D that does take some getting used to is in Manual mode where the Av button needs to be held in whilst rotating the main dial to adjust Av.

As I said its a personal thing, and its nice to be a first!

Besides, the Rebel layout of controls actually sucks for fast shooting

Hmmm,

Here's me thinking that I'm say outside at a wedding venue on a summers day, then I'd probably be on aperture priority so I press the shutter button and it takes the picture, with a xD or xxD series isn't that the same. If I want to change the aperture I move the main dial on any of the x/xx/xxxD cameras, so how is that quicker. Admittedly in manual mode it will take slightly longer.

Then there's the on/off switch - if the prosumer and professional bodies have an ergonomic switch then I give up. I could put a xxxD series to my eye switch it on with my right thumb whilst holding the camera and take an image before I've even manage to find that fiddly recessed on/off switch on the xxD series and thats with the camera in front of me and not to my eye.

Now if you mean by fast shooting that the AF points are better/quicker on the x/xxD series then i would agree.

Its all a matter of personal preference.

cdifoto
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 14:31
If you shoot Manual at all then the Rebels are ruled right out. They're better than they were but it's very easy to press the self-timer instead of Av. Buttons don't feel like wheels and wheels don't feel like buttons so it's impossible to do anything other than spin the wheel when spinning the wheel is the desired motion.

And before you ask, yes I've used Rebels. Quite effectively for about a year - until I got into Manual. That's when I moved to XXD and XD bodies. Not because I wanted to spend the extra bucks on the cameras but because I had to.

oakeycoke
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 15:38
They're better than they were but it's very easy to press the self-timer instead of Av
ON the 400D and prior that was correct, it changed on the 450D with the WB button being below and changed again on the 500D with the button below Av being live view. However they must have been listening to you as the Av button is now larger on the 450/500D and it has a raised surround so its easier to feel, its also the 1st button you come to when moving your thumb down from the normal holding position which has also been altered from the earlier rebels with a more tactile surface for the thumb to rest on.

I've moved from the xxD series to the xxxD and less bucks (well less 's) however you'll be getting the xxD series in America for what we pay for the xxx.

I like the wheels bit in that they do spin both ways, now that non moving wheel that looks like a four-way adjust with centre select button on an Ipod had me confused at 1st. Its got buttons and also acts like a wheel - all touch sensitive, very clever once you know how to use it. Canon could do with some of those ergonomics on all it cameras.

Anyway back to Archaeoman's original thread, horses for courses camera wise and I don't think he'll need the 70-200IS f/2.8, his 85 and 135L will be just fine. The 135 on a crop is near a 200mm full frame, and yes the perspective is different, but the 135L has to be the best value for money/image quality/sharpness/bouquet etc lens Canon make.

Oops, that might start another disagreement lol.

cdifoto
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 15:42
I don't disagree about the lenses. lol. My biggest reason for selling the 70-200 was the size and mass in my backpack when I did my first destination wedding. My bag isn't any lighter now, but it has more lighting, light stands, and another body in it which are more useful than the zoom.

archaeoman
27th of July 2009 (Mon), 07:02
Yeah, a 30, 40, or 50D would be good choices and it's nice to have a 1.6 camera to go with a FF as it doubles your lens assortment. That said, The 5D2 is such a good camera for weddings and dark churches, I can't imaging shooting one without it. Think harder about the expense. If you're talented and can command a decent price, the investment returns itself in one weddding.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go with the 30D. I see some good deals out there for them. Also need to upgrade my 420EX to a 580.

Peacefield: I shoot with the 5D. While it would be ideal to add another 5D (especially the mk2) I don't feel it is necessary in this case. A good crop will do just fine.

timnosenzo
27th of July 2009 (Mon), 07:58
I think I'm going to go with the 30D.

Good choice, if you have a 5D and don't want to spring for another one, at least your second body will essentially have the same controls. That's a must have for me.

I think the 85 + 135 is a nice choice too, definitely my preference.

archaeoman
28th of July 2009 (Tue), 17:18
Thanks for everyone's input. 30D it is. And no need to buy the 70-200L 2.8 IS (although it would be a nice toy to have)

form
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 10:45
Really the difference between 30D and 40D autofocus is worth the price difference, so I would buy the 40D if you want a significantly more responsive camera with better low light focusing.

archaeoman
7th of August 2009 (Fri), 11:23
Just an update, and thanks for the replies and advice.

Since the Canon Rebates are only good for another day I pulled the trigger on the 70-200L 2.8 IS that I wasn't going to buy LOL. Since I won't take my first wedding until the spring the second body can wait until later. If I happen to decide to do on sooner I'll get the body.

The decision on the 70-200L 2.8 IS is for more than weddings, I find myself using my 70-200L 4 quite a bit and I'm sure I'll enjoy the upgrade.

Thanks again.

tim
8th of August 2009 (Sat), 19:34
30D has the same controls as a 5D, but the 40D is sharper and has better AF. I'd suck it up and get the 40D even though the controls are a bit different, unless it is a pure backup and not a 2nd camera, in which case a 30D would be fine. One I got my first 40D though I sold my 20D and 30D as the 40D was much better.

czeglin
10th of August 2009 (Mon), 11:35
I use my 450D almost exclusively in manual and I've never had a problem with it. What does trip me up, though, is when I use Av. I'm so used to pressing that button to adjust aperture that I hold it down...and in Av that changes exposure compensation!

If you shoot Manual at all then the Rebels are ruled right out. They're better than they were but it's very easy to press the self-timer instead of Av. Buttons don't feel like wheels and wheels don't feel like buttons so it's impossible to do anything other than spin the wheel when spinning the wheel is the desired motion.

cdifoto
10th of August 2009 (Mon), 11:39
I use my 450D almost exclusively in manual and I've never had a problem with it. What does trip me up, though, is when I use Av. I'm so used to pressing that button to adjust aperture that I hold it down...and in Av that changes exposure compensation!
See I was the opposite. I hadn't played video games since my sister swiped my Game Boy many many years ago. I used to be good at getting Luigi all the way to rescue Princess Toadstool but if he was on the back of my Rebel, he'd fall down the first pipe every...damn...time. :D

pcunite
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 19:04
I think the 40D is the minimum camera that is useful for wedding. It has better AF on all points that all cameras before it and very useful 10mp for just about anything your going to print. It is durable, light, and cheap.

tim
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 20:28
I think the 40D is the minimum camera that is useful for wedding. It has better AF on all points that all cameras before it and very useful 10mp for just about anything your going to print. It is durable, light, and cheap.

Does that mean the 20D that my assistant now uses is useless? That's a shame, it's photographed probably 50 weddings as my main camera and it's done a great job.

pcunite
14th of August 2009 (Fri), 10:11
Does that mean the 20D that my assistant now uses is useless? That's a shame, it's photographed probably 50 weddings as my main camera and it's done a great job.

Tim,
In today's camera landscape the 40D is minimal. I have no doubt that you could make use of a piece of gum foil and coke bottle glass to make an image. But that would not be the advice I would hand out on a public forum.

tim
14th of August 2009 (Fri), 10:20
Tim,
In today's camera landscape the 40D is minimal. I have no doubt that you could make use of a piece of gum foil and coke bottle glass to make an image. But that would not be the advice I would hand out on a public forum.

I play devils advocate. I rate the 40D pretty highly the 20D is a ways behind, but it still works ok. The 40D is sharper and has better color. I could buy a 5DII or two if I thought it would help my photography and provide value to my business, but so far I can't say I think it would so I haven't.

picturecrazy
14th of August 2009 (Fri), 23:30
I also think the 40D is worth springing for over the 30D. I had the 10D, 20D, 30D, and 40D and the 40D is definitely superior in an operational sense.

But I've shot the 40D and 5D together and I hated it. The controls were so different that I kept messing it up. It's extra hard to figure out because the two bodies have the same button layout on top, but the functions are all switched around. So they FEEL the same but act totally differently.

And Tim, I agree that a 5D2 probably wouldn't help you out much at all. But someone with your skill and experience could probably benefit from a 1Ds3. It's just in a whole different league.

tim
14th of August 2009 (Fri), 23:41
And Tim, I agree that a 5D2 probably wouldn't help you out much at all. But someone with your skill and experience could probably benefit from a 1Ds3. It's just in a whole different league.

How so?

RyanK
14th of August 2009 (Fri), 23:45
It's got the "wow, thats a big camera, it must be nice!" factor.

:)

picturecrazy
16th of August 2009 (Sun), 10:57
It's got the "wow, thats a big camera, it must be nice!" factor.

:)

LOL.. I think Tim uses gripped bodies. To the average person, a gripped rebel and a 1Ds3 look like the same camera and is no more impressive. :lol:

Bobster
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 13:01
i'd spring 40 over the 30/20, i do love my 20's but ive been leant 40's at the past couple of weddings ive 2nd shot and they're so nice.. 14bit RAW just gives so much more than the 12 in the older bodies..