PDA

View Full Version : IRAQ to CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA FOR 15 DAYS with a 5DMarkII-- IDEAS?

onebikeonehorseone5D
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 08:50
:D

Hi, I'm a soldier in Iraq about to take my Mid Tour leave in South Africa. I need some great ideas for photography and travel in the Cape Town area if you don't mind. My wife is going to meet me in Cape Town on the 15th of October.

I just picked up a Canon 5DMarkII and I have a small collection of L Lenses (we work tax free over here:D).....I want to have a great trip, get some "life long ain't never going to make it here again" type shots to show my nephews, grandkids etc.

If you have been there, have friends, have some neat places etc etc......I would love your ideas, tips, tricks etc.

Right now I have the following general ideas;
Shark Diving (owners may or may not agree to let me use my own camera)
Ocean front shots in morning
Whale Watching
Some dockside type stuff
Local Flea Markets.

I'm not usually pandering for free advice but I have limited time to do research over here and I thought I would try this for once.

Thanks.

Will

condyk
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 09:30
Hire a car and head towards Cape Point via Groot Constantia vineyard, through to Kalk Bay. have a wander around. Head for Boulders Beach with False Bay on your left and watch for Whales. If you see cars parks along the road then likely you'll see some. Boulders is nice for an hour or so checking out the Penguins. Carry on to Cape Point. Well worth a walk around. On the way back you can go via Noordhoek over the mountain the Hout Bay and then stop off at Kirstenbosch Gardens. A long day but a great change from the city. Tons of nice pohoto opportunities. Worth heading to Mama Africa in the city for dinner. Food is OK, but it's a lively friendly spot usually with some local music going on. There are some good drives up the Table Mountain, or get a cab and take the cable car. Watch out for thieves up there. I lived there for 18 months and, with Sydney, is my favourite city.

glhs509
26th of July 2009 (Sun), 09:58
Will,
In addition to condyk's advice, and if you have the time/means to get out of Cape Town itself, let me also suggest at least a day in Stellenbosch...treat yourself and the Mrs. to some tasty wine...you both deserve it!

Also, judging by your nick and being in the military, don't forget to stop at Harley-Davidson Cape Town for some gear :)

P.S. watch them baboons at Cape Point!

sebr
27th of July 2009 (Mon), 07:55
I have been to Cape Town a few times for my work during the past couple of years and really enjoyed it. There is some great advice here already but here are a few more things if you have the time.

- Robben island: the prison island where Nelson Mandela and other activitists were jailed. It is a very nice boat ride and relatively cheap boatride departing from the waterfront.

- The sightseeing bus was a good way to visit the city. One of the bus lines stops at the cable car station to Table Mountain (cheaper than a taxi) and at Camps Bay (beach with view to the 12 apostles). You can get off at interesting spots. Departs next to the aquarium.

- Constantia vineyard or the area around stellenbosh for vine tasting and lansdscape.

- You can do 1-2 day safaris, rather expensive. I have not tried that but they promise the big five!

- Cape Point and the scenery on the way there. You may stop by constantia as already suggested.

- Table Mountain: if you want to go up, my experience is that it is often closed because of unfavorable weather and when it is open queues can be very long.

Enjoy your trip!

onebikeonehorseone5D
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 23:04
Wow! I am going to print out these responses and will do just about everything I've seen so far.

Do you guys have any opinion about flying to the East side of the country to do a "safari" (yes, I know it's probably touristy, but I want to try out my long lenses).....Or can I stay on the west side near cape town to do that? Most of the Safari tours I've seen are in the West....Cape Town. East.

Should I go to Johannesburg (sp?)......or stay with Cape Town as my base.....

Thanks alot!!!:)

onebikeonehorseone5D
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 23:08
I will also post some of the shots from the 5DII when I get back!:cool:

condyk
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 01:00
Do you guys have any opinion about flying to the East side of the country to do a "safari" (yes, I know it's probably touristy, but I want to try out my long lenses).....Or can I stay on the west side near cape town to do that? Most of the Safari tours I've seen are in the West....Cape Town. East.

Should I go to Johannesburg (sp?)......or stay with Cape Town as my base.....

Thanks alot!!!:)

You could fly across to Durban, hire a car and spend some time touring Kwazulunatal. See here (http://www.kznwildlife.com/site/ecotourism/accommodation/Accessable/Hluhluwe/)3-4 days at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park and maybe 2-3 days at St Lucia would be a nice mix. Mkuzi is also good but quite dense bush. You could also fly up to Kruger. You don't need a 4x4 for these places. Just a saloon car will be OK. Personally, I would avoid JHB. I don't think the game farms around CT are worth a visit if you want a 'proper' safari. To try your lenses I'm sure they'd be fine. Karoo National Park is wonderful and 3 days there is quite relaxed and a direct road to and from CT. No big predators there tho'. West Coast NP is also good, but mainly birds. Again, easy access from CT.

You could PM Billycan who is a member here. He's a top man and I'm sure he'd be happy to offer some advice on CT 'must see' places. He's also travelled around a lot and so may have ideas for safari venues.

onebikeonehorseone5D
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 02:35
Thanks! I will PM Billycan.

Um.....who moved the thread.

Did I miss something?:cool::confused:

onebikeonehorseone5D
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 02:49
Any big game PREDATOR parks near Cape Town?

(I would have edited my last response, but it won't reload on my slow connection (via satcom)

billycan
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 03:22
You need to let me know how long you plan to be here and if you are planning on going anywhere else while in SA.

Bill K

onebikeonehorseone5D
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 08:32
Hey Billycan.....Thanks for jumping in.

I have no solid plans at all.

We are going to be in country for 15 days. I was debating hopping all around from Cape Town to JBurg etc, but after some of the above posts, I think that would only erode the trip I think. I'm now opting to stay right in Cape Town and use that as my base and radiate out from there.

I am definitely open to doing the things mentioned above.....as my wife and I wouldn't be wasting alot of time traveling. I need some serious down time after being in Iraq for the last several months.

However, I am very flexible......especially if someone has some good tip or advice on where to go or what to see. I will do some traveling, but not too much. If going to JBurg is a 10 and staying in Cape Town is a 1, I would be open to a number 5 trip or day trips.

I want to get some great shots with the 5D, but also I want my wife to have the trip of a lifetime. She says all she wants to do is see me...but I don't buy that.

We don't like tourists, and we try to stay away from big crowds of them. We were both raised in the country on farms, so we don't mind taken trips off of the beaten path for sure.

We want to absorb and take shots of beautiful and historic South Africa and of course mother nature. We've heard SA is incredibly beautiful! More than pictures can describe.

I hope that helps.

billycan
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 14:53
This is a fairly big country and one the biggest attractions is undoubtedly the wild-life. The nearerst (reasonable) option is the Kagalagadi about 1200km from Cape Town and then it is the Kruger Park which is at the other end of the country (2500km or so). It obviously takes some planning to put together a trip into these parts and there is invariably some cost involved (flights, accomodation, car hire and so on).

On the other hand, there is a lot of great scenery within easy reach of Cape Town and then of course there is the city itself and the immediate environmens. Some people say that you can/should spend 2 weeks here as there is so much to see and do. We know from experience that some international visitors have had a great holiday here, possibilby the best that they have ever had. I guess that it all boils down to what exactly you are looking for and how you put the package together.

Based on your response, I could put togethar a list of suggested options if you wish. This would encompass a trip into the more scenic part of the Western Cape (Garden Route, Winelands, Cederberg) for about 3-4 days and the rest of the time in the city itself. I would however, encourage you to try and get to see a real lion in the wild one way or the other and this would entail a trip of about a week. You can now see how quickly 15 days would go by.

Needless to say, I would get involved to some or other extent. It is in my nature to do so and I guess that I have as much local knowledge as you are likely to need...

D_M_T
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 23:18
I would echo much of what has been suggested thus far. My wife and I traveled for a year and ZA was my favorite country (see my blog link in my signature for more details). Capetown is IMO the most beautiful city in the world but ZA has a lot more to offer and I don't think you need more than 4 days in Capetown (it's not very big) to see the highlights. If you're a wine drinker, Stellenbosch is a must and is a day trip from Capetown. The Robben Isle tour was ok but worth it if you're a history buff.

But really as a photographer you can't miss out on the wildlife. Kruger NP is fabulous and you can do it on your own (we rented a VW Citi). 3-4 days will grant you many wildlife encounters and definitely do the guided night drives.

During our six weeks, other highlights included the Cederberg mountains, Storms River (home of the world's tallest bungy jump) & Tsitsikamma NP, and the Wild Coast.

Enjoy! And feel free to ask me any questions.

onebikeonehorseone5D
3rd of August 2009 (Mon), 02:15
I would echo much of what has been suggested thus far. My wife and I traveled for a year and ZA was my favorite country (see my blog link in my signature for more details). Capetown is IMO the most beautiful city in the world but ZA has a lot more to offer and I don't think you need more than 4 days in Capetown (it's not very big) to see the highlights. If you're a wine drinker, Stellenbosch is a must and is a day trip from Capetown. The Robben Isle tour was ok but worth it if you're a history buff.

But really as a photographer you can't miss out on the wildlife. Kruger NP is fabulous and you can do it on your own (we rented a VW Citi). 3-4 days will grant you many wildlife encounters and definitely do the guided night drives.

During our six weeks, other highlights included the Cederberg mountains, Storms River (home of the world's tallest bungy jump) & Tsitsikamma NP, and the Wild Coast.

Enjoy! And feel free to ask me any questions.

I am very interested in the bungi jump for some action photography.... How far is the Tsitsikamma NP and Wild Coast from Cape Town?

As far as the other post........What is the best way to get to Kruger Park? Fly....drive...and if I go to Kruger, aren't I now spending alot of time traveling, when I only have 15 days MAX in the country? Are internal flights reasonably priced?

Does anyone have a insight on which tours to stay away from...and which is the best to try. I will try to look up Tsitsikamma NP....and hopefully it is close to Cape Town.

What is the closest park to Cape Town that has big game predators?

We really want to experience South Africa and get the feel for the country as much as is possible in 15 days. Jumping from one tourist activity to another can hinder that I suppose.

In a few days, I am going to print these posts.....plot the locations on a map, and then just for fun, I'll post my potential itinerary so you folks can comment on the feasibility if you like...

Again, I really appreciate the advice you are all giving. Advice from people is much better than a book or "website." :cool:

onebikeonehorseone5D
3rd of August 2009 (Mon), 02:18
Hire a car and head towards Cape Point via Groot Constantia vineyard, through to Kalk Bay. have a wander around. Head for Boulders Beach with False Bay on your left and watch for Whales. If you see cars parks along the road then likely you'll see some. Boulders is nice for an hour or so checking out the Penguins. Carry on to Cape Point. Well worth a walk around. On the way back you can go via Noordhoek over the mountain the Hout Bay and then stop off at Kirstenbosch Gardens. A long day but a great change from the city. Tons of nice pohoto opportunities. Worth heading to Mama Africa in the city for dinner. Food is OK, but it's a lively friendly spot usually with some local music going on. There are some good drives up the Table Mountain, or get a cab and take the cable car. Watch out for thieves up there. I lived there for 18 months and, with Sydney, is my favourite city.

Africa's number one tour guide? I couldn't have gotten input from someone with a better insight, could I?:D

I am going to plot your suggestions on the map! Thanks

D_M_T
3rd of August 2009 (Mon), 03:00
As was said earlier, ZA is a deceptively large country. If you want to see Kruger you will have to fly; otherwise you will spend the entire trip driving.

I don't know about your budget but if I had just two weeks, I'd probably allot 3 days for Capetown, and then spend a day or two in Stellenbosch/Paarl/Franschhoek. This is one of the largest wine regions in the world and the people are incredibly friendly. If you're not a wine drinker, then you'll be able to get to the Garden Route quicker, which is where Storms River & Tsitsikamma are. It's about 400 miles from Capetown. Honestly I wasn't a huge fan of most of the Garden Route (pretty touristy), but you get some nice ocean views along the way. For example, in Plett we saw a school of dolphins swimming from our balcony. There are tons of activities to do in Storms River and Tsitsikamma offers one of the best day hikes I've ever done (actually a 5-day hike if you do the whole thing). The only problem with this is that you then you would probably have to turn around to go back to Capetown. Not sure though.

So, as others said, you may not want to wander too far from Capetown since you'll likely be flying out of there to Kruger. Regardless, I'd save the best for last and catch a flight to Kruger NP and spend at least 4 days there.

onebikeonehorseone5D
3rd of August 2009 (Mon), 07:56
Budget is not an issue......to an extent.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for this valuable insigt.

All: If I don't fly to Kruger, which I'm trying not to do...what is the closest park with large predators and fuzzy beings with long necks....closest to Cape Town that is?

billycan
4th of August 2009 (Tue), 14:05
You could take a look at aquila.co.za which is about 2 hours by car from Cape Town but please bear in mind that these are rescued animals and while some of them are "free roaming" they are in camps and are not wild in the true sense of the word. This venue is suitable mainly for tourists to Cape Town who have very little time available and are very keen to have a "safari" experience. My wife and I spent one night there about two weeks ago and it was OK. If you are flying to SA via Johannesburg, then the KNP becomes a proposition and I would try and get there for a minimum of 3 days in the park, plus travelling from Jhb to the park and back.

Please pm me your e-mail address.

onebikeonehorseone5D
5th of August 2009 (Wed), 11:16
PM Sent............

We are flying into Cape Town.

If I can find a train ticket or a flight cheap enough...I may opt to fly to Kruger.

onebikeonehorseone5D
12th of August 2009 (Wed), 08:34
Do any of you folks know of a nice, quaint, bed and breakfast in Cape Town...preferably on the water...maybe one of those b and b's that are a best kept secret?:cool:

I'm looking for a nice place around the water, for not a crazy amount of money....

(just bought another L lens....)

billycan
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 12:29
"preferably on the water"

http://www.capestay.co.za/suburb-accommodation.asp?SuburbID=9

This link will give you options in Misty Cliffs which is virtually on the water but a long way out from the city. You may want to spend 2-3 nights here. I will try and get more info for you about best options down there but you need to decide if you want to be within 15-20 km from the city or if that is not a big issue. Elsewhere in the southern peninsula offers many options but invariably some distance from the sea.

GAtegs.com
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 12:39
I was born in Cape Town and lived there for the firt 14 years of my life and I can assure you that will never have/will visit a more beautiful place. I won't recommend places to see because everything you see will be worthy of a few shots. What I will say is please, please, please, keep your camera/equipment with you at all time. Don't set anything down for a second. I don't mean to scare you, but robbery is BIG over there, especially among unsuspectiong tourists.

I will recommend, though, if it is not too windy and there are no fires, take the cable car up to the top of table mountain. With a wide enought lens, I am pretty sure you can see the entire city with some nice beaches from up there in the same frame. Also, grap a tripod and go to the V&A Waterfront at sunset...you will not be disappointed.

Grayman
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 13:24
PM Sent............

We are flying into Cape Town.

If I can find a train ticket or a flight cheap enough...I may opt to fly to Kruger.

Buddy...as an ex-SA police officer...one word of advice: Don't catch the train, any train. The train service (and bus service) is extremely unreliable and at times dangerous. The rail network is also not as extensive as you would like to think. Also a train trip to Joburg will take you about 12 hours at least.

My advice is similar to the others who have posted. Firstly, the ideas you listed in your first post are pretty cool and I think it would be pretty easy to achieve. As mentioned previously, Stellenbosch is also a good suggestion. There is a restaurant there called Spiers, which doubles as a Cheetah reserve. You pay for the table and it is as much as you can eat as well as all types of african entertainment moving from table to table.

For landscapey time shots, Knysna is a good bet including the famous Knysa heads and steam train (Choo-choo as its called).

Simons Town also has some nice traditional style opportunities.

In terms of wildlife...Port Elizabeth is about a 7 hr drive from CT and there are several reserves in the area. The two better ones that spring to mind are Addo Elephant Park and the exclusive Shmawari (Tiger Woods like to hang out here).

For a laugh you can try Odtshoorn which has the Cango Caves you can explore as well as the opportunity to ride an Ostrich.

On another note the main african language in CT is Xhosa (kor-sa). You could impress the locals with molo (mor-law) which means hello and enkosi (en-korsi) which means thank you.:) If you hire a vehicle and ask directions you will invariably be told to turn left/right at the robots...robots are traffic lights. Lastly...never catch a mini-bus taxi, only taxis ordered via your hotel.

And very finally...take heed what GAtegs said...robbery is huge in SA..and offenders are not scared to use violence. But, like ALL countries, if you keep your wits (and by God, I am sure you in your vocation you do!) it will be a great experience! Enjoy!

GAtegs.com
13th of August 2009 (Thu), 14:25
Also, please update this thread with a link to some sort of an almbum when you get back. I am very jealous since the last time I went home, I had a ****ty Kodak PnS.

Matatazela
14th of August 2009 (Fri), 05:42
Remember to keep your photo gear low-key as possible. Robbery (by any means possible - including force and violence) is very prevalent. Keep your senses and wits about you and listen to advice from locals regarding when / where to stay away.

The Eastern side of the country offers Big 5 reserves including Umfolozi Hluhluwe, as well as the iSimangaliso (St Lucia)area including gems such as Kosi Bay, Sodwana for some diving and inland, Tembe Elephant Park and Ndumu Game Reserves. These are underrated and well worth a visit. Have fun!

Matatazela
14th of August 2009 (Fri), 05:43
Oh - and stay away from Johannesburg... not much to see there.

condyk
28th of August 2009 (Fri), 12:05
Do any of you folks know of a nice, quaint, bed and breakfast in Cape Town...preferably on the water...maybe one of those b and b's that are a best kept secret?:cool:

I'm looking for a nice place around the water, for not a crazy amount of money....

(just bought another L lens....)

I'd forget the 'on the water' thing. Last year we stayed at Cactusberry Lodge which is well located and friendly, with nice rooms and good, secure facilities. Info. on our trip is here (http://wiki.klein-jensen.dk/index.php/POTN_Africa_2008)and you'll find lots of useful stuff there.

onebikeonehorseone5D
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 04:19
I was born in Cape Town and lived there for the firt 14 years of my life and I can assure you that will never have/will visit a more beautiful place. I won't recommend places to see because everything you see will be worthy of a few shots. What I will say is please, please, please, keep your camera/equipment with you at all time. Don't set anything down for a second. I don't mean to scare you, but robbery is BIG over there, especially among unsuspectiong tourists.

I will recommend, though, if it is not too windy and there are no fires, take the cable car up to the top of table mountain. With a wide enought lens, I am pretty sure you can see the entire city with some nice beaches from up there in the same frame. Also, grap a tripod and go to the V&A Waterfront at sunset...you will not be disappointed.

What is this V and A that ou speak of? :)

onebikeonehorseone5D
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 04:23
Oh - and stay away from Johannesburg... not much to see there.

I seem to be getting the same advice on J burg......stay away is the common theme.

I will take that advice.

I am also going to take the cable car up to the top of Table Mountain....or hike it. But with my tripod and 20lbs of lenses....my wife might get tired carrying all of that on the hike. :cool:

My plans are nearing completion with help from all of you and especially Billycan who sent me a spreadsheet and has been emailing me constantly....

Just for fun I'll post the result, and let you guys add your opinions if you see fit.

Billycan, I look forward to breaking bread with you and your wife when I get to CapeTown.

Will

onebikeonehorseone5D
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 04:34
Remember to keep your photo gear low-key as possible. Robbery (by any means possible - including force and violence) is very prevalent. Keep your senses and wits about you and listen to advice from locals regarding when / where to stay away.

The Eastern side of the country offers Big 5 reserves including Umfolozi Hluhluwe, as well as the iSimangaliso (St Lucia)area including gems such as Kosi Bay, Sodwana for some diving and inland, Tembe Elephant Park and Ndumu Game Reserves. These are underrated and well worth a visit. Have fun!

Your advice is well received in regards to the theft issues. While I am not invincible, I am also not a easy target. My camera bag is a camouflage Tamrac backpack....I've blacked out the tamrac logo and I'm going to sew some military patches on the bag to make it look more raggedy and militant....almost as if I'm carrying sandwiches and soda...not $10k in camera gear. I'm going to have to get a tripod bag for the tripod though.....

Violence is nothing new to me. I have been a U.S. Marine and a soldier all of my adult life. If someone cares to use a weapon to intimidate me, I will most likely take it from them and beat them with it. I also plan on carrying a large brute walking stick everywhere I go (almost like a baseball bat) (since I have to leave my M4 5.56 mm rifle with night scope, laser sight and Surefire night lighter in Iraq:cool:).....

I am 6 ft 3 and 210lbs....I run like a sprinter, and I have a haircut that makes me look like law enforcement. I'm hoping the would be thieves don't misjudge me for a victim. If they do, it's on them. I'm sure the aftermath will make the paper.

Grayman
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 06:48
Your advice is well received in regards to the theft issues. While I am not invincible, I am also not a easy target. My camera bag is a camouflage Tamrac backpack....I've blacked out the tamrac logo and I'm going to sew some military patches on the bag to make it look more raggedy and militant....almost as if I'm carrying sandwiches and soda...not $10k in camera gear. I'm going to have to get a tripod bag for the tripod though.....

Violence is nothing new to me. I have been a U.S. Marine and a soldier all of my adult life. If someone cares to use a weapon to intimidate me, I will most likely take it from them and beat them with it. I also plan on carrying a large brute walking stick everywhere I go (almost like a baseball bat) (since I have to leave my M4 5.56 mm rifle with night scope, laser sight and Surefire night lighter in Iraq:cool:).....

I am 6 ft 3 and 210lbs....I run like a sprinter, and I have a haircut that makes me look like law enforcement. I'm hoping the would be thieves don't misjudge me for a victim. If they do, it's on them. I'm sure the aftermath will make the paper.

I am sure your trip will go fine and I am sure you can look after yourself, but just a friendly word of advice - don't underestimate the brutality and savagery of some of the criminals. Most will operate in groups rather than indivdual, most won't be afraid to shoot first and ask later, and lastly, depending on where you are, don't be surprised if a mob quickly forms. Remember, SA has the one of the highest murder rates in the world...for a reason...people are not scared of violence there too.

All said and done, your trip will most likely go incident free and like any country, there are good and bad people. Enjoy the country and I doubt you will meet friendlier people anywhere else in the world!

onebikeonehorseone5D
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 15:50
I fear that I sounded a bit MILITANT and ANGRY in the last post.. I assure you, I am a happy fun loving person, but when people talk about these situations, I immediately think of the fear that my wife would have, I picture having to help her salvage the rest of her dream vacation after being victimized and I go into this MARINE CORPS posture of ATTACK THE ENEMY......There is a reason why only the Marines are trusted to protect our embassies ;):p

I will of course be very careful (I was robbed in Ibiza off of the coast of Spain about 5 years ago, and all of my camera gear was taken when I wasn't looking...so I learned the hard way not to set my bag down), and I'm sure my wife and I will have a great trip....I hope to have some great stories and hundreds if not into the thousands of pictures.....of which maybe 2-3 will be good enough to show right here on this forum.:cry:

It really would suck to lose the (brand new) camera to an armed gang....I would feel like a wuss. The U.S. Marine side of me, says that I can never be outnumbered.:lol: :cool:. ;)

I can't wait to try the 16-35L for some late night city shots of Cape Town etc.

Anyway....I'm tired, just came off of shift and I'm now just blubbering.....

onebikeonehorseone5D
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 15:52
Also, please update this thread with a link to some sort of an almbum when you get back. I am very jealous since the last time I went home, I had a ****ty Kodak PnS.

I will do exactly that.....this is after all a photography trip (don't remind my wife!:lol:)

GAtegs.com
9th of September 2009 (Wed), 20:52
What is this V and A that ou speak of? :)

Te site which can be found here (http://www.waterfront.co.za) does not come close to doing the place justice.

onebikeonehorseone5D
25th of September 2009 (Fri), 05:44
Good link, and some pretty good shots. If I can't come out of South Africa with some great shots that are worthy of framing, I need to give up photography. the place is incredible for photography. It has EVERYTHING!

W

BottomBracket
26th of September 2009 (Sat), 10:05
I really don't have anything to add except that I am really looking forward to your photos! Godspeed, be safe and have fun Will.

GAtegs.com
13th of November 2009 (Fri), 11:23
So where are the pics?

onebikeonehorseone5D
27th of November 2009 (Fri), 06:04
Hey everybody...

Ok, I'm back in Iraq and I am almost over my depression of leaving South Africa. The first thing I have to mention is that the country is totally safe! (If you're not an idiot). The second thing is that I want to thank POTN Member Billycan and his wife for his incredible hospitality, friendship and making the trip even more incredible than it would have been without his assistance!:D (Billycan, for some strange reason, I don't have your mailing address...can you PM it to me, thanks).

I did take ALOT of photo's. About 2500 Many of them while Billycan (not sure if I should use his real name without permission) stood by time and time again and tolerated me taking pictures at the Ferrari dealer in Cape Town, or of the lighthouse he has seen 1000 times, or of boats in the harbor etc etc. He was very giving hof his time and resources! He allowed me to use his motorcycle, stay at his house, drink his vintage bottle of Jack Daniels, etc etc....I thought he was going to ask me for national secrets of the United States at the end, but he didn't. He was just nice for the sake of being nice.

Here is how the trip went roughly; We stayed in Simons Town at the Froggy Pond B and B (GREAT PLACE!!!!) with a beach 150 meters away and EXCELLENT hosts. We visited Cape Point, Boulders Beach, Hout Bay, Cape Town, the V and A waterfront etc. Then we went East to Gaanbai and did some Great White Shark Diving, visited Monkeyland, and Birds of Eden parks, and of course went to Bloukraans Bridge and did the worlds largest Bungee Jump from a bridge, then some Elephant riding, and then went back to Cape Town, stayed in a seedy hotel, then went to Billycans and stayed in his guest room (an un-advertised B and B) and farted around Cape Town and saw a bit of everything. Did a few SCUBA Dives, rode some horses....

Now the hard part is deciding which photo's to show you folks. I have so many and while I think I can pick some "ok" shots, I don't know if I have any GREAT ones. I was new with the Camera, new to photography etc etc. I even managed to accidentally delete about 200 pictures from Monkeyland! (not happy about that!)

What I do think that I would want as I post them is some good critique, some honest feedback on what YOU would have done and what I can do to get better (and I'm sure that would happen anyway).

I'll try to post some in the next week. It is such an incredibile country, and I have so many shots, just thinning them out to "keepers" is more work than anything. Of course I also have alot of post work to do to make OK shots, GREAT......but I'll post the un-edited stuff. I have to run....

If you haven't been to SOUTH AFRICA........GET OFF YOUR BUTT, BREAK THE PIGGY BANK OPEN SELL SOME JUNK OUT OF THE GARAGE, DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO BE ABLE TO BUY THE TICKET, AND GO! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!

billycan
27th of November 2009 (Fri), 11:24
........for some strange reason, I don't have your mailing address.........

You been drinking too much coffee again??

onebikeonehorseone5D
29th of November 2009 (Sun), 04:03
........for some strange reason, I don't have your mailing address.........

You been drinking too much coffee again??

I seriously don't have the address. Send it to me, I have something to send to you.

Also, the Rand that was in the visor in Gi-Gi's car, was for me not filling up your motorcycle before I left. Sorry.