PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall C&C Please

Stevie@JC
31st of July 2009 (Fri), 16:18
Just wanted to know what you guys & Girls thought of this shot, is it good, bad what could i do to make it better or so

As always your comments are greatly appreciated

lindsaytblum
31st of July 2009 (Fri), 17:20
I think it is a great shot. Nice exposure/shutter speed on the water. Was it windy when you took the shot? The leaves from the trees in the foreground are blurry---kind of looks like they were moving rapidly during your shot.

Stevie@JC
31st of July 2009 (Fri), 17:22
I think it is a great shot. Nice exposure/shutter speed on the water. Was it windy when you took the shot? The leaves from the trees in the foreground are blurry---kind of looks like they were moving rapidly during your shot.

It was a dreadful day Lindsay very wet an windy

Robert_Lay
31st of July 2009 (Fri), 21:40
If you were going to print this in 16" x 20" and hang it on your wall, wouldn't you first get rid of the humans and the railing at the top of the picture?

Stevie@JC
31st of July 2009 (Fri), 21:49
If you were going to print this in 16" x 20" and hang it on your wall, wouldn't you first get rid of the humans and the railing at the top of the picture?

Well spoted Robert i hadnt even noticed them, i would definatly clone them out.

What are your thoughts on the actual photo itself as i totally respect your input

jasonstiller
31st of July 2009 (Fri), 22:05
What shutter speed did you use? looks great!

Stevie@JC
31st of July 2009 (Fri), 22:10
What shutter speed did you use? looks great!

Thanks Jason i think my shutter speed was 2.5 secs

Stevie@JC
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 06:57
Here is another version with Roberts suggestion of getting rid of the people and the railings

Robert_Lay
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 10:05
I like the shot very much - always been crazy about waterfalls. This one is far better than most. I think your choice of exposure time gave a good result.

Stevie@JC
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 10:06
I like the shot very much - always been crazy about waterfalls. This one is far better than most. I think your choice of exposure time gave a good result.

Wow thank you Robert, coming from you that is a great great compliment

GorgeShooter
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 10:50
You nailed it. Well done!

Stevie@JC
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 11:14
You nailed it. Well done!

Thank you much Appreciated

HappySnapper90
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 20:32
I'm not sure how big the area I'm look at is. But a better camera position, moved to the left, may have gotten around that tree that's in the way (and blowing) at the upper right corner. Right now there's a big black blank area on the left side.

There's nothing wrong with a waterfall fill in the entire frame, it doesn't need to be offset for rule of thirds. And if it was so windy, I'd have used another stop higher iso to have a shorter shutter speed than 2.5 seconds. Waterfalls can be fine with a little as 1/4 second depending on the flow volume.

Stevie@JC
1st of August 2009 (Sat), 20:36
I'm not sure how big the area I'm look at is. But a better camera position, moved to the left, may have gotten around that tree that's in the way (and blowing) at the upper right corner. Right now there's a big black blank area on the left side.

There's nothing wrong with a waterfall fill in the entire frame, it doesn't need to be offset for rule of thirds. And if it was so windy, I'd have used another stop higher iso to have a shorter shutter speed than 2.5 seconds. Waterfalls can be fine with a little as 1/4 second depending on the flow volume.

Unfortinatly i was right up against the railing so i couldnt move anymore to the left i will how ever try your other tips

Stevie@JC
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 04:34
Just wanted to say thanks to all you that repiled with such nice comments. Not so long ago i was for jacking it all in but now you lot have give me the fuel to carry on, as ive never had a photo praised as much as you lot have given me over this waterfall shot

Thanks all of you

Regards
Stevie

BigAlz1
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 04:41
Great falls, good shot. Problem is there was too much wind stirring about. You have balyd blurred leaves at the top center and bottom right that, to me, is way to distracting. I am really surprised that BOB didn't point that out with his eagle eye.
I also feel it lacks "pop" and a little tighter on the crop wouldn't hurt.
I am not picking you apart, just what I see when I look at it. Heck I don't have any awesome shots of falls :(

Stevie@JC
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 04:53
Great falls, good shot. Problem is there was too much wind stirring about. You have balyd blurred leaves at the top center and bottom right that, to me, is way to distracting. I am really surprised that BOB didn't point that out with his eagle eye.
I also feel it lacks "pop" and a little tighter on the crop wouldn't hurt.
I am not picking you apart, just what I see when I look at it. Heck I don't have any awesome shots of falls :(

Thanks for the comments i have image editing on if you wana crop it the way youve stated

Regards
Stevie

Acute Exposure
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 08:21
Looks great! I really like the setting and the timing was great.

Stevie@JC
2nd of August 2009 (Sun), 08:28
Looks great! I really like the setting and the timing was great.

Thanks much appreciated