PDA

View Full Version : CyberSyncs vs RadioPopper JrX

pcunite
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 15:00
If you where going to be using Canon bodies along with a rented Mamiya 645 III body paired with Canon 580EX II and Elinchrom Quadra flash units what would be the better flash trigger?

* I only need a wireless flash sync... nothing else.
* 50ft range is fine
* I like how the CyberSync CSRB takes AA batteries.

The CyberSyncs and RadioPopper are the same price. I need 2 transmitters and 5 receivers so about $420 worth. Pocket wizards would cost me $1,120 or $2,065 for the MultiMax version (the only version that interest me).

What would you choose? I want the most compatible trigger for various brands of flash units.

cr44
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 15:08
I only have ever used CyberSyncs, but they've never failed me.

austincabot
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 15:13
the JrX let you control the flash. No brainer IMO

Marloon
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 15:19
Do the jrx have full control for the quadras?

eduardofrances
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 15:29
Do the jrx have full control for the quadras?
Nop, you need an Elinchrom Skyport RX transmitter to control a Quadra, the JRx as of today is only able to control WLs and ABs.

bobbyz
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 15:45
The new JRx are looking good as they will let me control power on my ABs as well as hot shoe flash. If AB doesn't release CyberSync soon, I would think folks like me will move to JRx.

Agree for elinchrom stuff, you should go with skyports for remote power control.

Marloon
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 16:03
I'm just waiting for the release of the manual for the jrx. Can't wait

do you think the studios can control both wl and ab as well as flashguns? In that way, I'll just buy the studios in anticipation for my ab strobes

bobbyz
17th of August 2009 (Mon), 16:45
I'm just waiting for the release of the manual for the jrx. Can't wait

do you think the studios can control both wl and ab as well as flashguns? In that way, I'll just buy the studios in anticipation for my ab strobes

Atleast that is what I got from DH discussion over at strobist. It seems contrllling power on AB/WL is easier and working. Not sure what is needed to control powe ron canon/nikon flashes, what ever that cube thing is suppose to come in next month or so.

enginyr
18th of August 2009 (Tue), 17:31
I'm watching for the JRx also. How exactly can you control the power of the flash with the RP Jrx

bobbyz
18th of August 2009 (Tue), 18:51
I'm watching for the JRx also. How exactly can you control the power of the flash with the RP Jrx

Someone mentioned "quinched pin". I haven't looked further.

Familiaphoto
18th of August 2009 (Tue), 19:38
I voted for the Cybersyncs just because I own them. The Radio Poppers look interesting though. Its up to you.

Strobist Review (http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/08/radiopopper-jrx-will-make-you-fat-and.html)

pcunite
20th of August 2009 (Thu), 07:39
I voted for the Cybersyncs just because I own them. The Radio Poppers look interesting though. Its up to you.

The thing is I just need triggers for a variety of camera and light brands now. The Cybersyncs are really swaying me because of the AA batt in the receivers.

randomlinh
22nd of August 2009 (Sat), 07:36
You need to buy more than the JrX though. The feature to control is called "EZset Strobe" and you need the "RPcube" to do it. No idea how much that costs.

Plus, you have to have the JrX Studio receiver as a minimum.

This all boils down to how much that RPcube thing costs. Anything over $20, maybe $30, would keep me away.

I am tempted to sell my cybersyncs to give these guys a try. Not that my cybersyncs have had any problems of any sort, but I just like to experiment with new toys =)

enginyr
22nd of August 2009 (Sat), 11:43
The thing is I just need triggers for a variety of camera and light brands now. The Cybersyncs are really swaying me because of the AA batt in the receivers.

Once I saw the price of under $1 per radio popper battery. It doesn't matter to me that it's not using an AA or AAA.

60 hours of use per $1. That's gotta be some kind of record.

enginyr
22nd of August 2009 (Sat), 11:46
You need to buy more than the JrX though. The feature to control is called "EZset Strobe" and you need the "RPcube" to do it. No idea how much that costs.

Plus, you have to have the JrX Studio receiver as a minimum.

This all boils down to how much that RPcube thing costs. Anything over $20, maybe $30, would keep me away.

I am tempted to sell my cybersyncs to give these guys a try. Not that my cybersyncs have had any problems of any sort, but I just like to experiment with new toys =)

Yes that cube thing will determine if If radio poppers will take over the new tt1 and tt5. For me I am so frustrated with poor connections and to hear that the new flex from pw has mucho problemo's made me go towards RP.