PDA

View Full Version : Canon 1D Mark II arrived damaged? Slight "rattle" when I move camera

AliAyson
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 14:59
I just received my Canon 1D Mark II. It arrived via UPS. The box it arrived in looked slightly dinged, but nothing major. There was hardly any packing at all between the box the Camera as packed in and the shipping box, but the Camera itself seemed pretty well packed within it's box.

What concern's me is that when I tilt the camera from side to side, I hear a very slight rattle...like something is loose inside the camera. I'm still charging the battery so I'm unable to test the camera yet.

Can anyone who has a Canon 1D Mark II let me know if their camera has this slight "rattle" too? What I'm worried about is that something IS damaged, but that it won't necessarily be obvious. Maybe I won't know until 2 months from now ...and I have only 30 days to return the thing for a complete exchange.

I'm not sure what to do. This is a $4,000 camera and I hate to have a damaged one.

:(

natalka
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 15:18
Mine does not rattle. I vote for sending it back. You just paid $4K for something you'd pretty darned well be happy with.

Natalka

vwpilot
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 15:22
Both of mine have had a very slight rattle from day one. Bought them about 5 months apart.

pjd83
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 15:27
Isn't that the camera orientation sensor that causes the rattle?

etaf
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 15:56
i woul need to check it out - but i think it maybe that is the sensor to detect which way you have the camera for the focus and sensor to know if portrait or landscape.

CyberDyneSystems
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 16:19
Mine does not rattle.. I would think the "orientation sensor" would be mercury... no sound involved.

It's more likely something to do with the mirror/shutter assembly.

I'd just use it and see what happens.. you have how long to return it?

AliAyson
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 16:27
Thanks everyone. I think it is probably just the mirror and shutter. I probably should have described the noise more as a very slight "clicking", not a rattle. I know I'm being overly anxious...it's just that $4000 is a lot of money to me, I had to save for a very long time. I have 30 days to return the camera, so I'll have to give it a good work out in the couple of weeks to make sure it's ok. (I'm driving my husband crazy, by the way..he thinks it's fine and I keep asking him "are you sure?"...sigh).

tim
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 16:42
Try it and see if it works, if not, return it. Perhaps also contact your dealer and ask them if it's normal.

clicky
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 16:55
I can only confirm that the "rattle" is not normal. Even if the camera is fully functional now, or in near future it would not be satisfactory to me.

If there is a loose object inside the body this could (in a worst case scenario) pherhaps damage the sensor/shutter or short circuit the electronics inside. I'd return the camera anyway, better to be safe then sorry.

But before this I would doublecheck to see if the object is inside the battery-compartment, sensor/shutter-area or CF/SD-slot. These are the only "user-acessible" rooms on the camera.

vwpilot
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 20:42
Like he said, its not so much a rattle as a VERY slight clicking sound. I am used to it a bit from my Nikon gear as they still had the mechanical aperture control and this would move ever so slightly when you would shake a body.

I replaced my 1d and I noticed this a bit with the MkII. I then compared it to my 1D bodies and they all did it and so did my second MkII when I got it. It has to be a fairly normal thing if 4 Canon 1 series bodies have done it.

BTW, I dont notice it when a lens is attached, only when you have the bare body.

badrotation
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 20:52
Its the orientation sensor.

RobbTC
16th of May 2005 (Mon), 21:25
Its the orientation sensor.

Page 101 of the 20D manual says:

"When you change the camera's orientation between horizontal and vertical, the camera orientation sensor will make a small sound. This is normal and not a defect."

I guess if it is only when going between H and V, then that is what it is.

If you move the camera back and forth along a plane, then it should not make noise.

Robb
http://www.robbware.com

etaf
17th of May 2005 (Tue), 04:26
is there anyway you can get your hands on another model and try - a shop in town etc

4grand maybe worth a trip

AliAyson
17th of May 2005 (Tue), 07:16
Thanks again to everyone for their advice, etc. Just to be safe, I plan to take the camera to the closest authorized Canon dealer and have them check it out. I think everything is fine..I'm just paranoid because the camera is so expensive (and I didn't like the way they packed it).

jbradc
17th of May 2005 (Tue), 07:28
You are doing the right thing, better safe than sorry. I have had 2 1d MkII's and neither one rattled at all (one did error 99 and die).

Good luck.

badrotation
17th of May 2005 (Tue), 11:36
Page 101 of the 20D manual says:

"When you change the camera's orientation between horizontal and vertical, the camera orientation sensor will make a small sound. This is normal and not a defect."

I guess if it is only when going between H and V, then that is what it is.

If you move the camera back and forth along a plane, then it should not make noise.

Robb
http://www.robbware.com

If you shake the camera it will still make noise because of how the sensor works.

If the noise is too loud however, it could be something else, but im guessing it is just the orientation sensor.

NILOLIGIST
17th of May 2005 (Tue), 15:00
I don't have a rattle either and I use my camera in both positions regularly. I would check another camera body if possible, otherwise I would request a new camera. It might function fine now but down the road after your warranty has expired you might have a major issue. If all cameras made that sound I would not be alarmed, since that is not the case I would say, return it now and save yourself the headache later.

Good luck,
NiL

TammieO
17th of May 2005 (Tue), 20:04
I just tried mine with and without the lens. I don't hear any sound.

Joytek
17th of May 2005 (Tue), 21:33
Mine rattles too....when tilted from horizontal to vertical.....AND you can only hear it with the battery OUT of the camera.

It is most definitely the orientation sensor....so don't stress yourself out:-)

other models, like the 350xt and the 20d have the same scenario happening.

w.