PDA

View Full Version : Spyder 3 Pro COLOR CAST

newb2pro_1day_or_so
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 11:30
I purchsed Spyder3 pro from B&H earlier in the week and it finally came in last night. After calibrating three different monitors on three different systems (two with XP and mine with Vista) I seem to be having the same yellowish green color cast. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution to it? Customer service is not very customer service oriented and they don't seem to want to help at all. Any help is appreciated as always.

THANKS POTN GURUS!!!

Dan

ChasP505
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 11:55
Try:
1. In the initial setup, tell the software you have Backlight control only.. No Contrast, No RGB controls. Then use only your Brightness control to lower the luminance as needed, leaving all other controls at factory default.
2. Set color temperature to Native. Gamma 2.2.
3. Calibrate with lights off, windows covered.

newb2pro_1day_or_so
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 12:24
I recalibrated with full RGB control and I can't believe how BLUE my eyes were trained to see. The yellow tinge was a little overdone at first, but it was actually not far off from what was needed....

Calibration complete, looks good...except for all my pictures that I edited with a blue tint...CRAP

ChasP505
29th of August 2009 (Sat), 14:13
I recalibrated with full RGB control and I can't believe how BLUE my eyes were trained to see. The yellow tinge was a little overdone at first, but it was actually not far off from what was needed....

Calibration complete, looks good...except for all my pictures that I edited with a blue tint...CRAP

Try recalibrating with NO RGB control. Before recalibrating, reset the monitor and video card back to default settings, disable any video card management application, and let the Spyder3 puck cool off away from the screen.

petrafrance
8th of September 2009 (Tue), 09:45
I have the exact same problem, a very serious greenish cast.
Did you find your solution already?

newb2pro_1day_or_so
8th of September 2009 (Tue), 13:41
After a very drawn out process with tech support, they are supposedly sending me a return service package for me to send the product back to them. I believe they have concluded the product is defective. I still have not received my box and I don't believe Spyder will be getting my vote anytime soon.

MR do little
9th of September 2009 (Wed), 03:27
What kind of monitors did you profile ?

newb2pro_1day_or_so
9th of September 2009 (Wed), 17:20
What kind of monitors did you profile ?

I profiled two Samsung, one from work unknown model and my home SyncMaster2232BW and an HP monitor.

dlw
11th of September 2009 (Fri), 09:00
I have the exact same problem with mine. Very dissapointing. I went back to using Adobe Gamma. My attempts to talk to someone with the company were unsuccessful so I guess I'll pack it up and put it in the closet with my collection of other overrated, dismal failures.

ChasP505
11th of September 2009 (Fri), 11:48
I've had less than stellar success when trying to calibrate low end Samsung LCDs with Spyder products (Spyder2 Pro and Spyder3 Elite). I found the best results came when I used native white/2.2 gamma, left the Contrast at factory default, and did not touch the RGB controls. We use several 225BWS and 226BWS at my office for non-critical graphic design work and they do fine. Just make sure you have all the MagicBrite and Magictune stuff disabled.

newb2pro_1day_or_so
11th of September 2009 (Fri), 11:56
I received the ups tracking code yesterday. My new spider calibrator is on it's way, due Monday. Hopefully it will do a MUCH better job than the current one.

If you are having issues, try emailing DataColor about the crappy spyder software. They have very inconvenient hours, but once you get ahold of someone, you might get an answer back that's helpful in about a week. :( very unsatisfactory in my opinion. I really hope this new sensor works.

scrivoluce
21st of September 2009 (Mon), 03:34
Hi buddies,
I've got exactly the same problem. A very disappointing green color cast after calibrating an HP L190W and my laptop HP Pavillion DV7 with Spyder 3 Elite.
Less evident on my HP LP2275W.
I'm trying to investigate. I've picked the spyder in Cyprus ( I live in Italy) on ebay.
Before of this I was using an i1 from XRite, just another story...:(
Keep in touch!

newb2pro_1day_or_so
21st of September 2009 (Mon), 11:39
Well, I did receive the package last week. After recalibrating I have to say there is a very strong blue tint to most factory set monitors. The calibration set my screen to a warmer look. It took some getting used to, but the screen matched my prints more closely than before I calibrated. It's sad that there are so many people with the same issue and they are still manufacturing their sensors with the same defect. I kept my old sensor, but I'll end up throwing it away because it does a horrible job. It's a real pain, but email DataColor and get some help.

Let me put it this way. I received my package without a return ship label on it; therefore, the sensor is so cheap for them to make, they don't even want my faulty original back for repair. I highly suggest contacting them and WARN ALL YOUR FRIENDS SPYDER SUCKS!!!

ChasP505
21st of September 2009 (Mon), 13:14
...WARN ALL YOUR FRIENDS SPYDER SUCKS!!!

I'll get right on it! :rolleyes:

My belief is it wasn't the Spyder hardware, but the cheap Samsung monitors (with poor quality TN panels) which are virtually impossible to calibrate. We use several 226BWs and 225BWs in my office so I'm saying this from experience.

I ALSO made the mistake of buying a "cheap" 22" Samsung monitor and I banged my head against the wall for months trying to get this thing to be usable for photo editing. I finally gave in to the reality that it was never going to happen. I sold the monitor to a local college kid and used my old Dell 19" until buying the Dell 2209WA for the same price as the crappy Samsung!

**One more obscure note regarding lower end Samsung LCDs... You could try switching to a VGA connection and use the free Natural Color Pro calibrating software provided by Samsung.

newb2pro_1day_or_so
21st of September 2009 (Mon), 17:36
I'll get right on it! :rolleyes:

My belief is it wasn't the Spyder hardware, but the cheap Samsung monitors (with poor quality TN panels) which are virtually impossible to calibrate. We use several 226BWs and 225BWs in my office so I'm saying this from experience.

I ALSO made the mistake of buying a "cheap" 22" Samsung monitor and I banged my head against the wall for months trying to get this thing to be usable for photo editing. I finally gave in to the reality that it was never going to happen. I sold the monitor to a local college kid and used my old Dell 19" until buying the Dell 2209WA for the same price as the crappy Samsung!

**One more obscure note regarding lower end Samsung LCDs... You could try switching to a VGA connection and use the free Natural Color Pro calibrating software provided by Samsung.

The whole reason I bought Spyder was because my samsung monitor color profile was corrupt. It would not allow me to correctly install the natural color program and use it correctly. When I bought my computer last year, I thought this monitor was good. The colors are pretty good now after the new sensor. I used the old sensor to calibrate three different monitors with the same overall green cast. I'm pretty convinced the sensor was bad.

ChasP505
21st of September 2009 (Mon), 18:48
I'm pretty convinced the sensor was bad.

Yeah... Probably. The corrupt Natural Color Pro 1.0.icm profile is a well documented problem, and the common workaround was to just select the standard sRGB profile as your system default. I'm using a 225BW right now set that way!

newb2pro_1day_or_so
21st of September 2009 (Mon), 21:34
I had it set that way too while I was waiting for my Spyder to come in. I actually like the way it looks now. The screen better resembles my prints and that's pretty important to me.

BenjaminMV
24th of September 2009 (Thu), 20:00
Glad to see you are now getting good color from your display with your Spyder3.
We are serious about providing product support for our customers. So if you could please send me an email or PM on the issues you experienced I would appreciate it.

I understand you being upset about having a possibly defective device. But to be frank here, you did receive a replacement within a week after conferring with us?
When you say, "They have very inconvenient hours" on an email based support system I must say that we have people checking and answering support questions on the West and East coast of the US as well as staff in Europe.
Please understand, unless someone is physically at your computer and display it does take time and questions in order to figure out what the issue is. This is not unreasonable and is the only way in which tech support can properly help.

"try emailing DataColor about the crappy spyder software" and "WARN ALL YOUR FRIENDS SPYDER SUCKS!!!"
Not very constructive, especially considering you received a replacement device and are now happy with the profile made. "I actually like the way it looks now. The screen better resembles my prints and that's pretty important to me."
Also the in-depth reviews done on the Spyder3 would disagree with the "crappy spyder software" statement. We are of course always working to refine the software.
I'm not saying we're perfect and once again please PM with any specific issues you had with our tech support.

@DLW I've sent you a PM. We would very much like to help you get your device up and working.
@Petrafrance and Scrivoluce please go to http://support.datacolor.com or datacolor.com, datacolor.eu and select support. We would like to directly help you.

newb2pro_1day_or_so
25th of September 2009 (Fri), 11:46
Glad to see you are now getting good color from your display with your Spyder3.
We are serious about providing product support for our customers. So if you could please send me an email or PM on the issues you experienced I would appreciate it.

I understand you being upset about having a possibly defective device. But to be frank here, you did receive a replacement within a week after conferring with us?
When you say, "They have very inconvenient hours" on an email based support system I must say that we have people checking and answering support questions on the West and East coast of the US as well as staff in Europe.
Please understand, unless someone is physically at your computer and display it does take time and questions in order to figure out what the issue is. This is not unreasonable and is the only way in which tech support can properly help.

"try emailing DataColor about the crappy spyder software" and "WARN ALL YOUR FRIENDS SPYDER SUCKS!!!"
Not very constructive, especially considering you received a replacement device and are now happy with the profile made. "I actually like the way it looks now. The screen better resembles my prints and that's pretty important to me."
Also the in-depth reviews done on the Spyder3 would disagree with the "crappy spyder software" statement. We are of course always working to refine the software.
I'm not saying we're perfect and once again please PM with any specific issues you had with our tech support.

@DLW I've sent you a PM. We would very much like to help you get your device up and working.
@Petrafrance and Scrivoluce please go to http://support.datacolor.com or datacolor.com, datacolor.eu and select support. We would like to directly help you.

I don't want to come off as crude, but I don't know who you are or how you relate to DataColor. The first batch of tech support I got SUCKED. The person was very rude. I made a second tag because I wasn't sure how I was supposed to respond from the first tag. By doing so I received a response back saying that by making a second tag I was moved to the back of the line. Now, you tell me that your tech support did a good job when I waited THREE days to get another response back from the first tag, but waited 10 minutes to get a nasty response from the second tag.

All in all, after a lot of crap, I will admit, the colors on my screen are better than straight sRGB settings, but that does not mean I would recommend Spyder 3 Pro to anyone. A product sold should work from the first box it's opened from and not have a thread full of people with the same bad results. Get your stuff to work in the original box and I'll start sending recommendations. I wish I knew the second guy's name who helped me from tech support. He should get a raise equaling the pay rate of the first jerk who told me off.

EDIT: I didn't PM you because I wanted those who questioned Spyder 3 to read some more specifics about my experience. I'm not taking this personal, I'm being frank and straight up about it. Any honest person trying to learn photography, who doesn't have much experience editing photos, is going to fail when put under the same cercumstances I was. That is because they might calibrate and think, "Ok, well that's how the colors are supposed to be..." I'm just lucky I have a good eye for color and saw the green hue that overlayed my images. Someone who doesn't sit in front of a computer screen all day might have just accepted the sub-par results from my first sensor.

pace1958
5th of November 2009 (Thu), 16:49
I too just bought a spyder 3 pro , and have the same yellow tint on a samsung and also on another cheaper monitor, the problem is black and white shots like they have a sepia tone , not good, I spent two days trying various setting's and lighting conditions. Other than that I would be a happy bunny. I just mailed the online store to see if I can get a refund

newb2pro_1day_or_so
5th of November 2009 (Thu), 18:25
I too just bought a spyder 3 pro , and have the same yellow tint on a samsung and also on another cheaper monitor, the problem is black and white shots like they have a sepia tone , not good, I spent two days trying various setting's and lighting conditions. Other than that I would be a happy bunny. I just mailed the online store to see if I can get a refund

Best of luck to you. All I can say is tell everyone how you feel. This is an ongoing problem that needs to be solved. Contact Spyder support. I'm sure they won't have a problem sending you another sensor since they are so freakin cheap. Good luck my friend.

ChasP505
5th of November 2009 (Thu), 18:38
Just for the record... I've tried to calibrate cheap 22" Samsungs with an EyeOne Display 2 with the same result as the Spyder3 Elite and Spyder2 Pro. Brownish-sepia cast. We have several Samsung 225BW and 226BWs at my office and we have "eyeball calibrated" them with satisfactory results.

newb2pro_1day_or_so
5th of November 2009 (Thu), 20:20
Just for the record... I've tried to calibrate cheap 22" Samsungs with an EyeOne Display 2 with the same result as the Spyder3 Elite and Spyder2 Pro. Brownish-sepia cast. We have several Samsung 225BW and 226BWs at my office and we have "eyeball calibrated" them with satisfactory results.

Well then crap on the Best Buy guy who sold me this bunch of tarnish. I think it looks good, but I wasn't getting anything close to print/screen similarity. Looks like whenever I upgrade, I'll be sure to ask A LOT of questions.

tonylong
6th of November 2009 (Fri), 00:58
Well then crap on the Best Buy guy who sold me this bunch of tarnish. I think it looks good, but I wasn't getting anything close to print/screen similarity. Looks like whenever I upgrade, I'll be sure to ask A LOT of questions.

Yeah, Samsung is a "consumer grade" line -- I like the overall look of a decent Samsung monitor for general use and angle of view and such, but I wouldn't depend on it for fine-tuning photos. I have an older 21-inch monitor that I use for that. The 24" Samsung is fine for a larger "first go" at things but then it gets moved to the well-calibrated monitor for the final adjustments.