PDA

View Full Version : 7D is out; out of my price range. No regrets with the 2 weeks old 50D

Fastfwd13
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 07:00
Now if only they could get a new 70-200mm f2.8 out before I buy so that I can either get the new stuff or get the older one cheaper.

Dinomite
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 07:14
I just bought a 50D a couple of weeks ago and I am going to swap it for the 7D... I think it's a little high in price, but it's going to be a much better camera to me!

Kuma
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 07:44
Seeing new gear released always has a buzz about it. The 7D does have really impressive spec's. Looking forward to seeing real world results and impressions. :D

cgatto
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 08:17
I've been waiting a long time to finally upgrade from my old Rebel XT. I think the 7D is exactly what I've been waiting for.

Tlee05
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 09:43
Is it time to sell the 5D and go for the 7D, Student loan will be through shortly hmmm I love the sound of the EOS 7D’s shame its not fullframe...

mikekelley
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 09:55
I'd love to pick up a 5d.

All I want is full frame. It's so nice!

Gibbo
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 09:58
How much is the 7d expected to be going for?

Fastfwd13
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 09:58
I'd love to pick up a 5d.

All I want is full frame. It's so nice!

The idea has stuck with me too. When I took my first nature pic with the 17mm lens on my 50d 17*1.6=27mm I was already amazed compared to the 36mm minimum of the Canon S5 I had previously.

Right now 27mm will have to do. But someday I will have to decide between the 10-22mm for 16mm widest or to sell the 17-55mm and by a full frame body. I want to think that 16mm will be enough :)

Fastfwd13
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 09:59

Body only sells for 2000$CAD approx. Expect something between 1500 - 1800$US

krb
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 10:01
$1699 here in the US but in the UK with their higher markups, taxes, etc. it is something like 1500-1600 pounds.

amd is the best
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 10:21
I want!

Tlee05
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 11:24
$1699 here in the US but in the UK with their higher markups, taxes, etc. it is something like 1500-1600 pounds.

200-300 pounds more and you could get a 5d Mark II I'm suprised by the high mark up.

tonydee
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 12:34
200-300 pounds more and you could get a 5d Mark II I'm suprised by the high mark up.

I'm sure part of the reason it's labelled a 7D is so they can charge more. Also, it makes sense to price it high as there'll be a number of buyers who'll buy it regardless as it'll be the best Canon crop body (telephoto shooters who either don't have the lenses to reach as far as they'd like or are sick of carrying them, macro shooters, people wanting fast frame rates but without a 1D budget etc). In a couple months - after those people have paid through the nose, it can drop down to something more widely tempting in light of the 5DmkII's vastly superior IQ.

Cheers,
Tony

Cyclop
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 12:56
I will retain my Canon 50D for the time being and not be influenced to impulse-buy a new 7D. My priority is to first complete my lens arsenal.

bric-a-brac
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 20:26
I just picked up a 50D a few months ago and love it. However, while I wish that the 7D had at least been a 1.3 crop (I feel like that wouldn't've been too much to ask for from the bottom line body of the xD series!), I will eventually trade up to it near the end of the year. My only real reason why though would be for the weather sealing, as I plan to be traveling next year.

photoguy6405
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 22:56
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the naming convention is intentionally meant to be misleading.

7D suggests an up grade from 5D, just one line went from 10D -> 20D -> 30D -> 40D -> 5D, and that this one should be named the 60D.

gcflora
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 23:06
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the naming convention is intentionally meant to be misleading.

7D suggests an up grade from 5D, just one line went from 10D -> 20D -> 30D -> 40D -> 5D, and that this one should be named the 60D.

Not according to this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=746699

photoguy6405
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 01:26

7D suggests an up grade from 5D, just one line went from 10D -> 20D -> 30D -> 40D -> 5D, and that this one should be named the 60D.Not according to this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=746699
I guess I'm more cynical than most. If it's "a whole new line" then I would think it should have a whole new designation.

(Posted in that thread, also.)

toxic
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 01:47

Fewer digits = higher class of camera. 1000D (entry-level) - 500D (consumer) - 50D (amateur) - 7/5/1 (semi-pro/pro). The smaller number in the single-digit series denotes the better camera. It makes perfect sense in Canon's naming system. No one thought the 5D was an upgrade over a 1D.

I guess I'm more cynical than most. If it's "a whole new line" then I would think it should have a whole new designation.

What so not new about "7D"?

gcflora
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 04:03

(Posted in that thread, also.)

Why?

The designation is xD which is a step above the xxD line. I don't see this as a problem.

photoguy6405
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 04:23
The designation is xD which is a step above the xxD line. I don't see this as a problem.
The crop factor is a more telling aspect as to which "line" it belongs. The 50D is a step above the 40D, and on back, so that argument doesn't work for me. Just my opinion, not a "problem".

cgatto
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 05:06
The crop factor is a more telling aspect as to which "line" it belongs. The 50D is a step above the 40D, and on back, so that argument doesn't work for me. Just my opinion, not a "problem".

So then why aren't the rebels and the XXD camera designated together? They're both crop cameras, aren't they? I don't think crop family has much to do with it.

gcflora
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 05:26
So then why aren't the rebels and the XXD camera designated together? They're both crop cameras, aren't they? I don't think crop family has much to do with it.

+1; it doesn't

DStanic
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 06:34
I've been thinking of what to replace my XTi with, either a used 40D or 50D unit, maybe possibly even a 5D classic.... but with the 7D release it looks impressive on paper and I would like to buy one as soon as I can afford it. A 5DmkII would be awsome but it's always going to be a little more then I can justify spending.

I will however wait until the 60D comes out to see what it's about. If it has a built-in flash transmitter and ISO performance close to the 7d (regardless of MP) I might just go with that..

photoguy6405
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 10:48
I clearly wrote "a more telling aspect", as in not the only aspect or criteria. :rolleyes:

krb
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 11:06
What would you suggest as a "whole new" designation? It fits in the lineup somewhere between the "5" and "xx". "7" is between 5 and "xx".

Furthermore, in terms of targeted market I think the 7D is a very close match to the old EOS-7.

keith615
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 11:07
I have been saving for a 50D to replace my 30D but was still having a hard time spending over $1000 for more mega-pixels and 1 or 2 features that that the 50D had over the 30D. Now with the addition of the much improved auto-focus, bigger viewfinder, and built in speedlite transmitter makes spending $1700 more appealing.

I guess that means Canon's marketing engine caught me???

Fastfwd13
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 11:15
I guess that means Canon's marketing engine caught me???

I often get caught in that too. Start of with what I need or want and then realize that for a few $ more I can get this and that. But then from that new price and a few $ more I can get this other thing.. and on and on until you get to the most expensive model.

Right now I have settled on the 50D and will be completing my lenses collection with a 70-200mm f2.8 IS and a 10-22mm. I am already committed to the EFs mount and don't require pics that can be printed bigger than a frame to put on the wall.

The one killer feature that I wish my camera had is wireless sync. I don't mean the ability to control and transfer pictures in wireless. Just the ability to put the camera somewhere in the house and have it transfer all the pics when I come back from a photo expedition. Geotagging would be nice too.

photoguy6405
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 11:28
What would you suggest as a "whole new" designation? It fits in the lineup somewhere between the "5" and "xx". "7" is between 5 and "xx".
Why does it have to be a "D" to begin with? Cameras are almost ALL digital now, and have been for quite some time, we get it. Elan film cameras had different naming convention within the overall line-up.

Furthermore, in terms of targeted market I think the 7D is a very close match to the old EOS-7.
This is actually the best point I've seen regarding the naming issue. If this is so, instead of saying "...it's a whole new line...", I think the Canon guy in that YouTube video would have done better if he had included something like this to help better explain *why* it's a whole new line. Simply pointing out a few new and/or upgraded features isn't enough as even new models within a given line add new features as they upgrade. As just one example, my 40D has Live View, but older xxD models did not. A significant addition/upgrade yet still within the same line.

chopperdave
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 11:35
i think all the hooplah over the naming convention some marketing group at Canon decided to go with is funny as hell.

I have a 50D and T1i, guess I could sell them both and get a 7D cuz the new AF would be rad, but, whatever. If I can't get good shots with something as freaking advanced as a 50D, I sure don't think a 7D is gonna help me. LOL.

krb
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:39
This is actually the best point I've seen regarding the naming issue. If this is so, instead of saying "...it's a whole new line...", I think the Canon guy in that YouTube video would have done better if he had included something like this to help better explain *why* it's a whole new line. Simply pointing out a few new and/or upgraded features isn't enough as even new models within a given line add new features as they upgrade. As just one example, my 40D has Live View, but older xxD models did not. A significant addition/upgrade yet still within the same line.The best way to illustrate this is to look at the mode dial. The 40D added new features but it is still a "consumer" grade camera, complete with point and shoot style modes like "sports" and "landscape". When you move up to 7D and 5D you don't see those modes on the dial because they are intended for a more advanced user base.

Roy G. Biv
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 16:44
in the UK with their higher markups, taxes, etc..

The Queen needs to eat too! :wink:

photoguy6405
4th of September 2009 (Fri), 01:27
The best way to illustrate this is to look at the mode dial. The 40D added new features but it is still a "consumer" grade camera, complete with point and shoot style modes like "sports" and "landscape". When you move up to 7D and 5D you don't see those modes on the dial because they are intended for a more advanced user base.
So, it's a marketing thing. If they were to make no changes to a 5D or 7D other than add the auto-modes it'd still be the same serious camera capable of the same serious photos, yet the lack of such modes apparently appeals to a specific customer. Sometimes taking away features is seen as "addition by subtraction".

I've been meaning to ask a question about this in one of the forums for quite some time. I guess I'll have to do that to satisfy my own curiosity.

DStanic
4th of September 2009 (Fri), 06:27
My question is where will the 60D fit into this? I hope it has the same IQ as 7d (regardless of megapixels), built in wireless ETTL, it could keep the same autofocus and built quality (ie no weather sealing) as the 50d as those are features some people (like me) don't need.

chopperdave
4th of September 2009 (Fri), 11:49
My question is where will the 60D fit into this? I hope it has the same IQ as 7d (regardless of megapixels), built in wireless ETTL, it could keep the same autofocus and built quality (ie no weather sealing) as the 50d as those are features some people (like me) don't need.

I would bet it will have the 7D sensor, less fps, the 50D (or slightly upgraded) AF system, no built in wireless ETTL.