PDA

View Full Version : Which animals are true man-eaters?

MikeFairbanks
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 19:59
I know tigers and polar bears will eat people, but what else? I'm not really talking about bite and release (grizzlies, many sharks, etc.), but animals that actually hunt and eat people.

Do wolves ever do that? Hyenas?

FlyingPhotog
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 20:05
Ex Girlfriends...

buddy4344
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 20:07
I am told a jaguar will hunt a man. Not sure if it eats the entire person and am not going into a rain forest to find out.

Matt-l
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 20:08
Panthers, Mountain lions have been known to stalk people.

Sharks taste their prey first, if they like it they go in for the kill. Thats the bite and release thing.

blue jays

ScPhotoMom
2nd of September 2009 (Wed), 20:08
Ex Girlfriends...

That about made me pee myself laughing lol

hollis_f
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 09:00
Hyenas?

Our guide in Botswana told us about a hyena dragging a small child out of a campsite in Moremi once.

Ritul
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 10:57
[quote=MikeFairbanks;8572492]I know tigers and polar bears will eat people, but what else?quote]

Thats such a misconcept! Tigers do not consider humans as their natural prey. In fact they've been known to walk away if not challenged or provocated by humans. Most of the times when humans have been attacked is for self defense, or due to either surprising the animal or getting too close to a tigress with cubs. I've been close enough to tigers in the wild, in an open top vehicle...they just ignore us...unless you act stupid and tease the animal. All it demands is due respect.

Cheers
Ritul

Cyclop
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:03
Panthers, Mountain lions have been known to stalk people.

Sharks taste their prey first, if they like it they go in for the kill. Thats the bite and release thing.
blue jays

It's my understanding that the puma (cougar) and a rogue grizzly bear will also stalk and kill people.

heycow
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:13
http://listverse.com/2007/07/13/top-10-most-deadly-animals/

Of note are #9 (Cape Buffalo) and of course the #1 most deadly animal in the world...The Mosquito... :)

Karlo
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:17
Black bear with cubs doesn't get more dangerous than that .

Tom Reichner
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:26
Of note are #9 (Cape Buffalo) and of course the #1 most deadly animal in the world...The Mosquito... :)
Cape Buffalo eat people? That's strange . . . I thought they were herbivores.

heycow
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:29
Cape Buffalo eat people? That's strange . . . I thought they were herbivores.
Well...IMHO being killed and being eaten end up with the same amount of deadness... :)

Tom Reichner
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:34
Well...IMHO being killed and being eaten end up with the same amount of deadness... :)

But the OP's question was about being both killed and eaten. Just making sure we stay on track with what the OP wanted to know.

bubba zanetti
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:35
Do wolves ever do that? Hyenas?
I stayed on a farm in Botswana and asked the owner about Hyenas & he said if you are walking alone ...one will follow you to see if you are injured but a pack will kill/eat a human, it happens over there. He warned me about walking around photographing and told me how to move tactically if i come across a lion but he said the most dangerous was the Cape Buffalo (even though they dont eat humans). He said a buffalo will kill you because you are there.

footballdude2k3
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:40
hippos are extremely dangerous if you get close. they hate people.

AxxisPhoto
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 15:43
Ex Girlfriends...

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-021.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-021.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-021.gif

buddy4344
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 16:10
I have also seen video where a group of African Wild Dog suddenly attacked a cameraman. this is supposedly unusual. Individual dogs aren't the issue, as much as the pack seems to communicate when they hunt

damonb
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 18:51
Any large predator can attack a human being. I'm always surprised that human beings look at themselves as being separate from the animal kingdom.

While certain animals may not look at us as "natural food" sources, there has been a number of cases where big cats that may have had health problems (tigers, etc.) did take a liking to killing human beings (the Sunderban region in India, for example).

Matt-l
3rd of September 2009 (Thu), 21:21
Hippos are dangerous yes, but they dont stalk and hunt humans.

A lot of the animals mentioned are getting a bad rap for instinct, a mother Black bear and cubs. shes just protecting them. She will not hunt you down and kill you and feast on you.

stalking and protection/territory are different. any animal can be considered dangerous if put in the wrong position and blown all over the media. Animals that will hunt/attack humans most times do not do it on a regular basis, its desparitey mostly, no food around, but a nice human.

Some animals do hunt humans and like mentioned above me in regions of Africa some villages are targeted. Those are the true man-eaters. Not born to hunt humans, but forced for ease of food.

The real answer to the question i believe is right is no animal is a man-eater until forced to be.

Ephily
4th of September 2009 (Fri), 16:32
The only large predator that actually considers humans natural prey is the Polar Bear. All other predators will rarely attack humans and only old and sick ones that cannot hunt their regular prey might hunt humans.

alt4852
4th of September 2009 (Fri), 16:53
The real answer to the question i believe is right is no animal is a man-eater until forced to be.

i think you're giving too much credit to animals. i'm pretty sure they hunt out of convenience and availability. i don't think a cougar has it's hand forced if it decides to hunt and kill a hiker. we're just like any other food source. i doubt it's thinking, "golly, i really don't want to do this, but there's just no other way!" before pouncing. ;)

krb
4th of September 2009 (Fri), 17:09
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned leopards yet.

What I've seen of the siberian tiger leaves me thinking I'd rather not be too close to one.

_aravena
4th of September 2009 (Fri), 17:12
Humans...

RikWriter
5th of September 2009 (Sat), 12:34
Humans...

The title is man EATER not man killer. Cannibalism isn't THAT common.

_aravena
5th of September 2009 (Sat), 12:39
Hey! Been awhile Rik.

Depends on where you. The OP didn't specify. Assuming this isn't some pointless grade school convo, they could be inquiring on certain exotic areas. Even ants have been known to attack and devour humans. Rare, but none the less it happens.

nuffi
5th of September 2009 (Sat), 12:50

Well... Truth be told I don't think it is just people. They are jsut seriously grumpy creatures. And move like greased lighting, even on land. And have a propensity to kill and eat anything that gets too close.

Even though their main diet is herbivorous.

But they won't go out of their way to hunt a human. Does it still count?

cjeff
1st of October 2009 (Thu), 13:01
I have also seen video where a group of African Wild Dog suddenly attacked a cameraman. this is supposedly unusual. Individual dogs aren't the issue, as much as the pack seems to communicate when they hunt

Quite surprised at this one - will have to be more careful in future. Have often photographed wild dog and have actually had them sniffing my back while I was getting the pictures. Though a couple of weeks ago I took photographs of wild dog while a film crew was filming and the dogs were very suspicious of the camera man.

sparker1
2nd of October 2009 (Fri), 14:40
Ex Girlfriends...

The voice of experience, Jay?

nebula_42
7th of October 2009 (Wed), 21:23
Pigs and wild hogs will eat people.

Whippeticious
8th of October 2009 (Thu), 02:26
Ex Girlfriends...
ex boyfriends

Whippeticious
8th of October 2009 (Thu), 02:27
The Aussie Dingo is reputed to eat people. Azaria Chamberlain.

Komodo dragons eat people

Whippeticious
8th of October 2009 (Thu), 02:30
yeah but they dont eat them, just kill them.

Secret_Squirrel
8th of October 2009 (Thu), 23:54
Crocodiles.

MikeFairbanks
8th of November 2009 (Sun), 21:12
The Aussie Dingo is reputed to eat people. Azaria Chamberlain.

Komodo dragons eat people

Oddly enough, dingos were once domesticated and are now wild. Kind of the opposite of most dogs.

AdamJL
10th of November 2009 (Tue), 11:22
Most carnivores will eat a person if the situation demands it. All flesh is food.

That doesn't mean all animals will actively stalk a human for food, but even then, it's not a finely drawn line. Some individuals of species which generally leave humans alone will hunt humans. This happens in nature. e.g. A pride of lions has in the past few years, gained a reputation for killing hippos, and leaving all else.

The "rules" of nature are just guidelines. Out in the wild, anything can and will happen. Nature boils down to "risk/reward" at it's most base level.

advaitin
10th of November 2009 (Tue), 11:34
With any animal of carnivorous or omnivorous nature, you can never really be sure. Plenty of news stories about pets who ate their owner (or the baby) when they got hungry enough.

True story, a woman in New York bought a six-month old German shepard puppy to protect her new-born infant. She decided the two could get acquainted while she walked to the corner store to get some dog food. She left the infant on a blanket on the floor.

When she got back, the puppy was already eating...

EnglishBob
10th of November 2009 (Tue), 11:42
African Lions have been known to choose humans as the prime prey, the best known cases are the Lions of Tsava, who preyed on a railway construction crew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsavo_maneaters

shooterman
12th of November 2009 (Thu), 15:29
Man Eater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vbPJnlJXQ)

advaitin
12th of November 2009 (Thu), 15:56
[quote=MikeFairbanks;8572492]I know tigers and polar bears will eat people, but what else?quote]

Thats such a misconcept! Tigers do not consider humans as their natural prey. In fact they've been known to walk away if not challenged or provocated by humans. Most of the times when humans have been attacked is for self defense, or due to either surprising the animal or getting too close to a tigress with cubs. I've been close enough to tigers in the wild, in an open top vehicle...they just ignore us...unless you act stupid and tease the animal. All it demands is due respect.

Cheers
Ritul

Last report I read was that the tigers in the Sundarbans were still going after humans. True, not their natural prey, but an adapted prey. It is always silly to make absolute statements, since there are often exceptions to any generality.

kent@smilingyogi.com
15th of November 2009 (Sun), 07:29
Any large feline especially lions, leopards and tigers. If you want a great read search books by Jim Corbett. True stories of life in India in the early 20th century.

Kent

ns@flowcentric.net
18th of December 2009 (Fri), 07:52
Lion will most definately make a meal out of anyone stupid enough to wander around in their hunting area if they are hungry. Leopard has been know to stalk and hunt humans in their territory as well. Over the last couple of years leopards were the top "hunter-killers" so to speak in our country. I can think of at least 5 cases durin the last 3-4 years. Killers for food trophy would go to Crocodiles, but is more attacks of opportunity than actually hunting humans since they will eat just about anything.

The most dangerous though is the hippo. The biggest killer in Africa when coming to number of deaths caused by animals (I am not counting the mosquito - a insect). Grumpy, ill tempered and just generally mean, they account for a lot of deaths each year. They can but usually don't eat human meat and definately not actively hunting humans. The second is the Cape Buffalo. Very Aggresive and like the one responder said, kill you just because it can!