PDA

View Full Version : SX110 IS Battery Life

drisley
6th of September 2009 (Sun), 20:29
A friend of mine just bought a SX110IS camera and her battery life is aweful.
Initially she used the AA's that came with it and maybe got 40 pics before they died.
Then she bought some 2000mah NIMH AA's and was able to get about 50 pictures before the batteries died. She took mostly non-flash shots outdoors.

The manual says 400-900 shots on a charge of NIMH batteries, so this seems way off, even though I realize that they tend to exaggerate these numbers.

Immaculens
6th of September 2009 (Sun), 20:50
Greets,

My 110 gets good life from rechargeables although never have counted. If a SX110 gets less than 325 shots from fully charged batteries - there is something regrettably wrong with the camera.

A friend of mine just bought a SX110IS camera and her battery life is aweful.
Initially she used the AA's that came with it and maybe got 40 pics before they died.
Then she bought some 2000mah NIMH AA's and was able to get about 50 pictures before the batteries died. She took mostly non-flash shots outdoors.

The manual says 400-900 shots on a charge of NIMH batteries, so this seems way off, even though I realize that they tend to exaggerate these numbers.

drisley
6th of September 2009 (Sun), 21:57
Thanks, good to know then.

Jon
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 08:26
Greets,

My 110 gets good life from rechargeables although never have counted. If a SX110 gets less than 325 shots from fully charged batteries - there is something regrettably wrong with the camera.
Or the batteries. Rechargeables have shelf-lives too.

gkarris
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 13:19
Use Hybrids - they are more powerful and don't loose a lot of charge when on the shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Rechargeable-Batteries-AA-size-4-count/dp/B001KYFZ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252347628&sr=8-1

Immaculens
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 14:05
Yes, but in the case of our OP's camera - hybrids or eneloops are not going to account for a sudden jump from 50 or 60 shots to 700+ shots...

Use Hybrids - they are more powerful and don't loose a lot of charge when on the shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Rechargeable-Batteries-AA-size-4-count/dp/B001KYFZ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252347628&sr=8-1

drisley
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 15:58
Or the batteries. Rechargeables have shelf-lives too.

You know, she later told me that the NIMH she bought said "Pre-charged and ready to use" on the package. But, AFAIK, NIMH lose their charge pretty quick, except for those low drain ones like the Eneloops. I have 3 backups sets of AA's for my 430EX flash, and I know even after a couple weeks of sitting around they lose most of their charge.

Hey, cool, are these the same idea as the Eneloops? I wonder how much charge you get vs a high MAH NIMH battery.

Woolburr
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 16:06
At first my SX110IS appeared to be a battery hog. What I discovered was that if you don't fully charge the batteries, their life is not so impressive...I was snagging them right out of the charger as soon as the light changed colors...if I let them charge overnight....they are good for all day and 7-800 images.

drisley
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 16:11
At first my SX110IS appeared to be a battery hog. What I discovered was that if you don't fully charge the batteries, their life is not so impressive...I was snagging them right out of the charger as soon as the light changed colors...if I let them charge overnight....they are good for all day and 7-800 images.
Awesome thanks! That's pretty much exactly what I had told her, and hoped was the case. I will pass this along.

Jon
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 16:41
You know, she later told me that the NIMH she bought said "Pre-charged and ready to use" on the package. But, AFAIK, NIMH lose their charge pretty quick, except for those low drain ones like the Eneloops. I have 3 backups sets of AA's for my 430EX flash, and I know even after a couple weeks of sitting around they lose most of their charge.

Hey, cool, are these the same idea as the Eneloops? I wonder how much charge you get vs a high MAH NIMH battery.
If they said "pre-charged and ready to use" they were 90% sure hybrids (which Eneloops are the most well-known example of). Those do self-discharge, but at a much slower rate than regular NiMH. The not-uncommon price penalty may mean they spend longer on the shelf though.

Immaculens
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 16:54
I have Duracell precharged, stated to keep a charge for 365 days but of course there comes the time its 'empty'.
It just seems to me that only getting a mere 50 shots from the batteries it came with is exceedingly low in my experience, but sure it 'could' happen.

But then to get only 60 shots from charged 'rechargeables'?? That is 2 low-probability issues happening concurrently...
When that light changes colour in your recharger - its all set - full charge - unless they are the type that drain to zero in 9 days or so because they were not used...

Nevertheless I do hope its been a battery issue and not the camera.

If they said "pre-charged and ready to use" they were 90% sure hybrids (which Eneloops are the most well-known example of). Those do self-discharge, but at a much slower rate than regular NiMH. The not-uncommon price penalty may mean they spend longer on the shelf though.

drisley
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 18:32
I'm going to have a look at the camera and battery tomorrow. She assures me the batteries she used were just plain President's Choice brand NIMH 2000mah batteries but they said ready to use on the package. Very weird.

drisley
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 18:40
Ah it appears these might just be rebranded Eneloops!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hot-deals/16343-want-sanyo-eneloops-pre-charged-batteries-cheap.html

I don't know why she's only getting 50 shots per charge though. Well, she got about 40 with the included alkalines, and then 50 with these out of the box. Time for her to call OK-Canon.

JustShootin'
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 19:10
Ah it appears these might just be rebranded Eneloops!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hot-deals/16343-want-sanyo-eneloops-pre-charged-batteries-cheap.html

I don't know why she's only getting 50 shots per charge though. Well, she got about 40 with the included alkalines, and then 50 with these out of the box. Time for her to call OK-Canon.

On my slate, If it's a camera problem and not a battery problem, then it's time to return it to the store for an exchange, not time to call Canon.

drisley
7th of September 2009 (Mon), 20:39
Well, first she has to determine if it's a camera problem, or a battery problem, so a call to Canon is in order to see what they think.

She bought the camera with Air Miles, so I'm not sure if she can return it. I really think that this is user error. Seriously, about 95% of the electronics my friend buys she ends up returning because there are problems. She does have bad luck, but I think with a rate like that, it's more likely that her lack of technical knowledge is to blame.

drisley
9th of September 2009 (Wed), 14:37
So I got to have a look at this camera yesterday, and it's an impressive little unit. It does some things my $4000 1D MkIII doesn't do in fact... I love the facial recognition for example.

As I suspected, the camera is fine, the problem lied with her charger, and her batteries. I don't know why her rebranded Eneloops didn't give more than 50 shots out of the box, but once charged properly in my charger, we took over 300 shots, some video, lots of chimping, and there was still power left. Which brings me to my next question...

Is there a way to check power level on this camera? I checked the manual, but all I could find was that it gives you a warning right before the battery dies, which seems odd.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jon
9th of September 2009 (Wed), 14:44
The CHDK hack adds a more comprehensive battery gauge to the display. I don't recall if there's a version for the SX110 though.

drisley
9th of September 2009 (Wed), 19:49
Thanks Jon.

I can't believe that Canon wouldn't put some sort of power gauge in their new P&S, even a 2 stage gauge would be fine. Only having a warning when the battery is low is very lame.

I think even my ancient S30 had one. LOL

Immaculens
10th of September 2009 (Thu), 05:50
I hope you are able to get 450-600 shots if the issue has been identified - in any case - glad you found the battery charger was at least in part the culprit. Love my SX110!

drisley
10th of September 2009 (Thu), 15:49
Well, we were up to about 300 pictures with some video, and lots of chimping, over about 8 hours, and no signs of battery warnings, so that's promising indeed. This was using the PC 2000mah (re-branded Eneloop) batteries.

Woolburr
11th of September 2009 (Fri), 14:45
The CHDK hack adds a more comprehensive battery gauge to the display. I don't recall if there's a version for the SX110 though.

There is...you just have to find a way to convert the RAWs if you choose to shoot with the hack. Thus far I haven't found a workable solution, but the hack sure adds some nice features to the camera.

Woolburr
11th of September 2009 (Fri), 14:47
I've gone 500+ shots over two days with one set of batteries....once you get them fully charged they work great.

drisley
11th of September 2009 (Fri), 16:16
Great news.