PDA

View Full Version : 420EX AF assist beam

EOSBruce
29th of January 2003 (Wed), 09:32
I noticed that my new 420EX projects a vertical AF assist beam which only covers the center focus point. Had the beam been turned 90 degrees, it would cover the three focusing points of my D30. I believe my old 540EZ projected a horizontal beam. Is there a reason the beam is vertical and not horizontal?

robbroek
29th of January 2003 (Wed), 10:05
The 420 has 2 beams. I thought whan you use only the middle focuspoint the beam sends a cross pattern

EOSBruce
29th of January 2003 (Wed), 11:17
robbroek wrote:
The 420 has 2 beams. I thought whan you use only the middle focuspoint the beam sends a cross pattern

You are right. I checked it with only the center focus point activated. Changes to a horizontal pattern with other focus points.
Thanks for the "Enlightenment".

robertwgross
29th of January 2003 (Wed), 11:40
EOSBruce wrote:

We need to work on a list of standard phrases that photographers have to be careful with. We need to focus on that. Do you get the picture?

---Bob Gross---

EOSBruce
29th of January 2003 (Wed), 11:53
robertwgross wrote:
EOSBruce wrote:

We need to work on a list of standard phrases that photographers have to be careful with. We need to focus on that. Do you get the picture?

---Bob Gross---

No, I don't get the picture. Did I offend someone?

DanteCaspian
23rd of September 2006 (Sat), 21:46
AF-assist Beam

I get what is is intended for, but what range does it operate best in, if that is an issue?
It seems to distract the subgect when trying to capture candid shots, so I am wondering just how helpful it is in the majority of low light situations... I don't see a huge differance in two comparable shots thus far.