PDA

View Full Version : Trip tips for London

Tony-S
16th of September 2009 (Wed), 13:50
Any tips for shooting in the evening in the Embankment area in the evening and morning? I have a trip that requires a layover in London (Paddington) on my return and am hoping to get some nice tourist shots.

TIA.

pgifish
16th of September 2009 (Wed), 14:46
Any tips for shooting in the evening in the Embankment area in the evening and morning? I have a trip that requires a layover in London (Paddington) on my return and am hoping to get some nice tourist shots.

TIA.

I got was there about 4 weeks ago and did mostly day time shooting and used a 5d 24-105..was perfect combo for also late afternoon but for nighttime you need f2.8

I looked at your gear list

24-70 f/2.8 EX HSM

will do with 5d markii

Tony-S
16th of September 2009 (Wed), 14:52
The 24-70 goes just about everywhere. One concern is the night shooting. I'd debating leaving the 12-24 at home and taking the 20 f/1.8 for those wide shots. Decisions, decisions...

bluefox9er
16th of September 2009 (Wed), 14:55
Paddington isn't the nicest of places, travel light and be aware of people checking you out for your gear...and never ever let it out of your site or allow yourself to be alone in a secluded area.

Tony-S
16th of September 2009 (Wed), 15:02
Lovely. I wonder if my concealed-carry permit's good in London. :)

Mike
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 05:48
I doubt it! :D

I'm not up on my London knowledge but some of the guys in our SE UK thread are from London so feel free to come and say hi and ask in there. Click the link in my sig. :)

Ruhan
24th of September 2009 (Thu), 08:43
Bring a tripod if possible. The millenium bridge area by the embankment is always fun.

I would suggest getting a cab down to Monument station and then walk over London Bridge and then West along the embankment up to the Millenium bridge area. From there you could walk further west to the London Eye area. Even though this walk should only take 20 mins you should start before sunsent and you could easily spend the entire night shooting there.

snyderman
24th of September 2009 (Thu), 09:14
Tony,

if you have the time, buy a 24 hour bus pass and ride the two-tier busses. Most are staffed with tour guides who can tell you where you're going, stopping and what to see in each area. These were really helpful for me as a first timer to London proper.

dave