PDA

View Full Version : RS80-N3 or spend a bit more for the TC-80N3

e02937
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 12:05
On the fence, it's a bit more cash for the TC but perhaps it would be worth it? I don't necessarily have a need to do time lapse stuff right now but I might get into it.

Would it help with bulb mode (precisely enter in the exposure time)?
This is kind of a big one. With the RS80, let's say I wanted to do 10 min exposue in bulb mode, I have to keep track of my watch right? Can I just set this on the TC?

Would it help with HDR, if so how?

Just trying to see if they extra $$ are well spent or not?

e02937
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 13:51
bump, anyone with a quick opinion

krb
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 14:06
Two thoughts:

- I have the TC and love being able to program it. I've never done time lapse work with it but it's great for being able to set up other options. Sometimes just a simple thing like telling it to fire 2 shots with a 15 second interval between the shots. Enable mirror lock up and I have one button to press to get the shot I want.

- On the other hand, if you only need a release then the cheaper knock-offs work just as well so there's actually a big price difference.

e02937
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 14:30
is the TC big in your bag? I haven't seen one in person but it seems large-ish

krb
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 14:36
It is kinda large, much bigger than I expected. But it is long and thin so it's easy to fit in the bag.

I don't actually carry it in the bag though. I have a pelican i1030 case attached to the sling of my tripod that holds the TC, a hotshoe level, a little wrench for adjusting tension on the tripod leg adjustment levers and a spare rc2 plate. That way all of the tripod-related items are always with the tripod no matter which bag I'm carrying.

e02937
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 14:38
thanks for your help!

ben_r_
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 17:02
I have both and if you are doing say night photography and need the longer than 30" timing control its a good thing to have. IMO the Canon wired switch is very over priced Id also like to add. The timer one is also double the size.

RiaGurl
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 17:55
i've go the tc and i use it a lot in macro shooting. i don't know why canon was so dumb, but the only thing i hate about it, is that i end up taking the battery out when im done, because they could not add a simple on/off switch/button, nor does it go into any sleep mode. sucks, but i have to take a pin and open the battery cover every time i shoot for that reason i don't use it enough.

ben_r_
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 18:03
I have had mine for over two years and have never changed the battery... I wouldnt worry too much about removing it. It lasts many many years.

RiaGurl
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 19:10
really? well that's news. i wouldn't thought to do that, well i wonder how much battery i'm even saving by having it out.

Jon
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 19:22
I have had mine for over two years and have never changed the battery... I wouldnt worry too much about removing it. It lasts many many years.

really? well that's news. i wouldn't thought to do that, well i wonder how much battery i'm even saving by having it out.I've had mine for at least 5 on the original battery. Unless you use it a lot (like hours a week, not minutes a month or year), your limitation is probably going to be the shelf-life of the battery. And that won't change whether it's in or outt of the timer.

RiaGurl
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 19:50
wow. i guess it's really low drain like a watch or clock or what not. thanks for the experiential anecdote.

mike_d
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 19:59
Two thoughts:

- I have the TC and love being able to program it. I've never done time lapse work with it but it's great for being able to set up other options. Sometimes just a simple thing like telling it to fire 2 shots with a 15 second interval between the shots. Enable mirror lock up and I have one button to press to get the shot I want.

I got the TC because it's so flexible. I love being able to combine functions. For example, I recently needed to take a group shot with myself in the picture using fill flash outdoors. So I told the timer to wait 10 second, then take four shots, three seconds apart to ensure the flash was recharged.

krb
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 20:21
I got the TC because it's so flexible. I love being able to combine functions. For example, I recently needed to take a group shot with myself in the picture using fill flash outdoors. So I told the timer to wait 10 second, then take three four, three seconds apart to ensure the flash was recharged.
Exactly. It really is useful to be able to program all sorts of things like that.

slitherjef
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 21:14
If you are thinking about the TC, just go ahead and get it. It would be cheaper to buy it now instead of the lower cost one, then the TC later.

RiaGurl
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 22:41
agree. it's a very nice tool, even though little used

jdizzle
22nd of September 2009 (Tue), 23:46
I love my TC-80N3. No issues at all.

gjman
23rd of September 2009 (Wed), 17:00
OP:
You should look into getting the generic version of the TC-80N3. They cost about 1/4th the cost of the OEM and do exactly the same thing.

I have one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aputure-Timer-Remote-C3-for-Canon-50D-40D-5D-1Ds-1D-R8B_W0QQitemZ230379011548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera _Camcorder_Remotes?hash=item35a3a8bddc&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

e02937
24th of September 2009 (Thu), 13:49
Thanks gjman, I've been avoiding some of the Generics but i think you might be right, a remote good be a good place to save a few bucks.

Seanzky
25th of September 2009 (Fri), 08:34
OP:
You should look into getting the generic version of the TC-80N3. They cost about 1/4th the cost of the OEM and do exactly the same thing.

I have one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aputure-Timer-Remote-C3-for-Canon-50D-40D-5D-1Ds-1D-R8B_W0QQitemZ230379011548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera _Camcorder_Remotes?hash=item35a3a8bddc&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I completely agree with this.

I own the Opteka version. (http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Remote-Control-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0012H0LQI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253881975&sr=8-3)

I've owned other Opteka products before and they've really met my expectation. The only thing I can say about this is that the back light is a little dim but that doesn't bother me one bit. I always carry around one of those tiny LED flashlights for times when I need to focus in the dark. I'm about to write a review on Amazon --I just got mine yesterday! :)

Seanzky
25th of September 2009 (Fri), 08:35
Also, I really found the added features to be handy and lots of fun over the regular shutter remote.

ntc3
26th of September 2009 (Sat), 02:01
Would it help with bulb mode (precisely enter in the exposure time)?
This is kind of a big one. With the RS80, let's say I wanted to do 10 min exposue in bulb mode, I have to keep track of my watch right? Can I just set this on the TC?

yes. you can set the time for bulb mode. also, the battery should last a long time, but if you remove the battery then it becomes a RS80-N3.

Tdragone
28th of September 2009 (Mon), 00:46
OP:

I have one of these:

I saw that a while ago.. but didn't want to chance it based on the scary grammar on the auction. I've been burned by far east auctions in the past.

If you have one and like it.. I might give them a try.