PDA

View Full Version : Family Shoot - in the Leaves -

phamster
2nd of November 2009 (Mon), 23:51
i shot this on sunday, just getting around to processing the photos...

the mother and father wanted some group and some fun children shots..

i think we got what parents wanted..

shot with AB1600 and 64 inch PLM...

http://i33.tinypic.com/xkon47.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/4l3lao.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/z682t.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/wco7sn.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/nf2yp3.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/erhn50.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2eznuwp.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/lxyfo.jpg

drdiesel1
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 01:33
Great work as always. What`s a PLM ?

buurin
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 02:15
PLM: http://www.alienbees.com/plm.html

Nice shots as usual.

drdiesel1
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 02:24
PLM: http://www.alienbees.com/plm.html

Nice shots as usual.

Thank you Sir.:cool:

snyderman
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 07:42
again, those are just SICK good! The lighting is just spot on as always. Nice to have such willing subjects, too. Great shots I'm sure they'll love.

dave

collierportraits
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 08:20
Lighting is great! If you had waited a little longer, the BGs wouldn't have been blown out quite as much. Your lighting certainly helped this but the blown out skies in the bg are distracting. Great images of the family, though.

I'll give you some advice that was given to me years ago (on the last image) Stretch those legs out just a bit more. ("Otherwise it looks like they lost their legs in the war...") Maybe put the gentleman a little straighter and at the head of the pyramid. THis might help his, ah, bulk and also hide more of it behind Mom and Daughter (if you put her in his place)

Overall, great work! I hope some of that helps and isn't too harsh. Great expressions and obviously they felt very comfortable with you...

Love the depth in the images! ;)

Mossman6
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 09:25
Thanks phamster; I'll be stealing a few of these ideas on my family shoot tomorrow ;)

jdouglas003
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 11:04
Fun shots and good overall lighting but the background on most of these is terribly distracting to me. Trees growing out heads, blown out skies, tree shadows and such. Shooting familes with a lot of trees in the background can be a bit tricky because you need the DOF to keep the family group in focus, thus also leaving the distracting tree branches in focus.

I found the same problems when shooting in this location with families. I ended up cloning out a lot of bright spots and branches around their heads. Still distracting to me though.

I hope you find my comments to be helpful.

Thanks

phamster
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 11:19
Lighting is great! If you had waited a little longer, the BGs wouldn't have been blown out quite as much. Your lighting certainly helped this but the blown out skies in the bg are distracting. Great images of the family, though.

I'll give you some advice that was given to me years ago (on the last image) Stretch those legs out just a bit more. ("Otherwise it looks like they lost their legs in the war...") Maybe put the gentleman a little straighter and at the head of the pyramid. THis might help his, ah, bulk and also hide more of it behind Mom and Daughter (if you put her in his place)

Overall, great work! I hope some of that helps and isn't too harsh. Great expressions and obviously they felt very comfortable with you...

Love the depth in the images! ;)

Fun shots and good overall lighting but the background on most of these is terribly distracting to me. Trees growing out heads, blown out skies, tree shadows and such. Shooting familes with a lot of trees in the background can be a bit tricky because you need the DOF to keep the family group in focus, thus also leaving the distracting tree branches in focus also.

I found the same problems when shooting in this location with families.

I hope you find my comments to be helpful.

Thanks

i have to explain my self objectivly here..

family requested photos in the park.. thus trees will be growing out of heads no matter what..

@ douglas i see you shoot mainly in the studio with grey seemless thus i can understand your perspective.. don't get me wrong.. full repects in your comments and i wish i had a studio to work in.. but my guess is in my town, i get business because i don't have a studio.. families are wanting shots that look more natural - fun - and less commericial than the olan mills days..

as for the blown out skys..i can't help it..

sunday started with a senior shoot @ 12 to 2 pm, then @ 2:30 family shoot at the park, this one.. and then i had @ 3:30ish Leah's senior shoot..

my part time hobby is now becoming a full time weekend warrior photog.. still liking it.. and when the winter comes.. i will be shutter happy and nothing to shoot..

i think as most photogs do.. i don't like the busy trees, i don't like blown out skys.. i don't even like doing photos in the leaves..

but it seems every body (family, seniors, etc) want fall trees in their photos..like it is the only scheme that will work in the midwest right now.. lol..( i am sure every photo has had that request)

i just try to make the best of it..

@ collier do you have an example of the extended leg shot? i want to see and learn and improve on that pose..

thanks everybody..

phamster

rjc1
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 18:15
Phamster, great shots I luv them all. I think they are the best to date.

ann-mom
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 20:40
Ok i'm one that loves to have family pics in the fall, I love the colors and want to remember the season before the snow comes lol. I dont think there to busy either just my own opinon though. Great job as always Pham

swjim
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 21:28
Very nice Phamster! Is that PLM tough to manage outdoors? It looks like there might have been a bit of wind to deal with.

HastyPhoto
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 21:41
keep your eye on the bg, trees growing out of your models heads are image killer.

jdhart73
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 22:23
I think trees growing out of heads are great! Good for you for giving people what they ask for, great shots as always buddy.

Jake

deeslk
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 22:25
Looks like you had some really happy kids to work with... good work

S-Man
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 22:44
Pham, as for the "blown out skies", have you tried stopping down your aperture? With a 1600 and a PLM, you should be able to shoot at around f.11-13 or so at 1/125 ISO 200 or so and get really rich dark blue skies. But then again, the BG will not be blurred. It's a little different style that one of my favorite photogs, Jason Cole uses. Lots of light, and a really small aperture.

As for the "trees growing out of heads", I really despise that phrase. I really, really do. Seriously, who in their right mind will think for one second, "WTF! This poor lady has a TREE growing out of her HEAD!"
I understand it's just a figure of speech, but c'mon, when you're in a forest what'cha gonna' do?
And realistically, the average person viewing a photo looks at the subject in the foreground first and foremost, especially when the BG is blurred. Only us as photog's recognize such things, and their small nits to pick IMO, unless their just blatantly overboard with it.
[/end rant] :rolleyes:

edit: Oh, and awesome job, as usual man!

Hatch1921
3rd of November 2009 (Tue), 23:01
#2 They should have it printed large!!! Great shots all ... but... #2 and the last shot are killer.

Hatch

zr6002
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 00:54
Great shots! I like the lighting it really makes the pic. Are you using the vagabond battery pack for light? If so how does it hold up in a shoot?

HastyPhoto
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 08:38
Pham, as for the "blown out skies", have you tried stopping down your aperture? With a 1600 and a PLM, you should be able to shoot at around f.11-13 or so at 1/125 ISO 200 or so and get really rich dark blue skies. But then again, the BG will not be blurred. It's a little different style that one of my favorite photogs, Jason Cole uses. Lots of light, and a really small aperture.

As for the "trees growing out of heads", I really despise that phrase. I really, really do. Seriously, who in their right mind will think for one second, "WTF! This poor lady has a TREE growing out of her HEAD!"
I understand it's just a figure of speech, but c'mon, when you're in a forest what'cha gonna' do?
And realistically, the average person viewing a photo looks at the subject in the foreground first and foremost, especially when the BG is blurred. Only us as photog's recognize such things, and their small nits to pick IMO, unless their just blatantly overboard with it.
[/end rant] :rolleyes:

edit: Oh, and awesome job, as usual man!

Its as simple as photography 101, compose your backround first. "Trees growing out of peoples heads" just looks horrible unless its extremely OOF and unnoticable. You want to shoot that way go for it, I was just giving the OP a "heads up" thats all and you slam me for it? Whatever..............

Lunajen
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 09:13
Its as simple as photography 101, compose your backround first. "Trees growing out of peoples heads" just looks horrible unless its extremely OOF and unnoticable. You want to shoot that way go for it, I was just giving the OP a "heads up" thats all and you slam me for it? Whatever..............

To me all of the trees look very OOF so they were not a bother.
I honestly don't see where they were ever a problem in these shots.

Excellent work!!

S-Man
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 12:44

Sorry Rob,
I didn't intend to "slam" you in particular for it. I didn't even fully read most of the posts. I just saw Pham's post about explaining the "trees growing out of heads" and it made me shake my head.
Nothing personal, and I know you put it in a nice way. I was just venting a general observance of what I think is a ridiculous figure of speech. :)

pnmd
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 12:48
Lighting is great! If you had waited a little longer, the BGs wouldn't have been blown out quite as much. Your lighting certainly helped this but the blown out skies in the bg are distracting.

Fun shots and good overall lighting but the background on most of these is terribly distracting to me. Trees growing out heads, blown out skies, tree shadows and such.

regards to the blown out skies: it's such an outdated photographic rule to ALWAYS avoid blown out skies. He was shooting during the day and did a great job depicting daylight. Personally, I'm tired of daytime shoots that look like they were taken at 7pm because flash/hi shutter/small aperture was used to kill all the ambient light. General public like shiny, bright, happy pictures.

Here's someone whose skies are always blown out but look great IMO. She retains the bright happy mood of daylight. Some on here dislike her but she has a huge following, so apparently the general public is not distracted by blown out skies and perhaps may prefer it if executed correctly. Try something different.
http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm?StartRow=43

S-Man
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 13:17
^ Wow thanks for directing me to Jasime Star's site. She's awesome. Amazing stuff. I can see why she has a huge following.

phamster
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 14:40
@Pnmd - thanks for that info and old rule back up.

i generally don't follow rules and i am not classically trained.. so photography 101 - 401 doesn't exsist to me..

i just shoot and balance out what i think looks best..

as for jasmine's website i can not see it here at work, but if i remember, didn't she win huge awards for wedding photography? and also her weddings are like 5K$-10K$ crazy premium west coast photographer? but her images are amazing i remembered...

thanks everybody and i mean everybody.. (people have thier perspectives and pet peeves, and i respect that, when you post a comment on my threads, that means you care enough to post something vs passing by. so i ways like to see or hear what other photogs have to say..)

thanks

phamster

S-Man
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 14:56
Yeah, I didn't know it, but I've seen Jasmine's stuff before. She's over on OSP, and looks to be in cahoots with DJ...maybe, i'm not sure. Not that "cahoots" is a bad thing, but I'm just sayin, she's big time. And yeah, her collections start at 5500. :eek:
Wish I was that good :(

pnmd
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 15:20
@Pnmd - thanks for that info and old rule back up.

i generally don't follow rules and i am not classically trained.. so photography 101 - 401 doesn't exsist to me..
phamster

you're probably one of the most prolific photographer and poster here so I suspect from all your experience you subconsciously know the rules and can thus bend them

I'm just sayin, she's big time. And yeah, her collections start at 5500. :eek:
Wish I was that good :(

she is big time and she's only been at it 5 years. Yeah, I wish I was that good too.

bbvdm
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 15:40
as for jasmine's website i can not see it here at work, but if i remember, didn't she win huge awards for wedding photography? and also her weddings are like 5K$-10K$ crazy premium west coast photographer? but her images are amazing i remembered...

Color me crazy, but if Jasmine is getting $5K - $10K for her shots, I am definitely getting into weddings!

Tim Park
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 15:54
I think you did a great job on these! The expressions are wonderful, and of course, we know that expressions trump pretty much everything else! You really captured the warmth and joy of this family.

Just a few nits, some of which you, the photographer, may not have total control over...

1. Clothing - I wish the family coordinated this much better. I wish the tones and styles were more cohesive. In addition, I prefer men to wear long sleeve shirts (better flow, and less distracting).

2. Lighting looks a bit harsh on a few of these, especially compared to some of your other posts I've seen. I know that the time of day when you shot was a big challenge. The harshness is something we photographers nit-pick about, but this family must be thrilled with these!

3. DOF - I know that many have commented on this issue. I do wish the dof was shallower, but sometimes this can be personal preference.

Again, very nice job on this set, and you provided this family with wonderful portraits!

Tim

collierportraits
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 21:37
Few points here:

Phamster, I for one LOVE photographing in the leaves! It really is an awesome thing to do. Yes, I grabbed a quick shot with the legs pulled out a bit. Again, not the most awesome image but hopefully this will show you what I'm talking about... Just extend their legs just a bit. I used to always tell my women, stretch those legs out a bit, thins you up, and actually it does. The longer the look, the less bunched up and thinner they look.

As to the trees, that really doesn't bother me. I think you solved this one with lighting mostly. I agree with snailman here (sorry, forgot his name) but no one says oh, look wow, that guys a treeman... BUT the point IS valid that you should stay away from that. I have done environmental portraiture for 18 years now and it is sometimes pretty impossible to keep that from happening. So, it's a good thing to know, but move forward and get the images. And that you did! Good expressions, great rapport with the subjects. Good job!

And did I mention that your lighting was really good? lol...

collierportraits
4th of November 2009 (Wed), 21:46
Couple more points here.

One, I agree with Tim, the clothing could have been better but we can't always win that one. Just make sure you discuss it with the client and I sometimes just bring a coat/sweater along to throw over them, neutral colored if they were open to it, of course.

Secondly, I'm going to attach one more photo here, because this was a similar shoot. Had to be at X time. One member of this family was flying out and so we had no choice. This was something like 1:00 if I remember right. But I found some shade, pulled them into it and tried to find the most wooded area so as not to have the blown out skies. And yes, maybe this is personal preference, so I apologize if I keep on about this. May just be me. You can actually tell that some of the trees are trying to blow out in this one... More fill than I actually like here, but it did work... Hope this helps! ;) (And sorry for the bad color on this image!!)