PDA

View Full Version : We want your stuff for free! - Thought you guys might enjoy this

dawiyo
19th of November 2009 (Thu), 22:59
I first want to preface this with stating that I am in no way a professional photographer and never really received compensation for my photos. I do however hang with many pro photographers (mostly sports and news guys) and understand the current situation the news photography world is in. With that knowledge, I fully intend to decline the following offer just on the principle.

Hi dawiyo,

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has been short-listed for inclusion in the ninth edition of our Schmap San Francisco Guide, to be published mid-December 2009.

www.schmap.com/...

Clicking this link will take you to a page where you can:
i) See which of your photos has been short-listed.
ii) Submit or withdraw your photo from our final selection phase.
iii) Learn how we credit photos in our Schmap Guides.
iv) Browse online or download the eighth edition of our Schmap San Francisco Guide.

While we offer no payment for publication, many photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

Our submission deadline is Thursday, November 26. If you happen to be reading this message after this date, please still click on the link above (our Schmap Guides are updated frequently - photos submitted after this deadline will be considered for later releases).

Best regards,

Emma Williams,
Managing Editor, Schmap Guides
www.schmap.me/emmaj.williams

What do you guys think? Am I overreacting being kind of irate that they just come out and state "others aren't getting paid, so no check for you" or should I see this as a sign of the times and get over it?

jacuff
19th of November 2009 (Thu), 23:09
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=759847
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=737279
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=634765
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=562544

Do what ever you want. If you fall into the category of pleased to submit, then do so. If you want money, then don't submit.

Karl Johnston
19th of November 2009 (Thu), 23:37
Oh nevermind it's not a magazine. Actually I'm not sure what it is...looks like a complicated version of flickr maps or google maps.

I can't really figure out what the hell they do actually. Go for it. Though I see no value in exposure from that kind

kenwood33
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 00:20
just give them a reasonable price and they may say yes

dawiyo
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 00:32
just give them a reasonable price and they may say yes

They've already stated they offer no compensation for photographers.

I'm more proud/impressed that they shot they picked was taken with my iPhone and AutoStitch app. :D

iAMB
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 00:41
I would be interested to see if they use your photo even if you tell them no. Either way, I think it is something for you to keep an eye on.

cdifoto
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 00:43
I'm not against donating images - but I won't give them to someone who's going to make money off them.

Dennis_Hammer
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 07:35
I wouldn't be irate over it. Who doesn't want something for nothing, not just a sign of the times human nature is all.

CosmoKid
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 11:14
You only give them rights to a tiny little image that is put in an online area guide that people can download for free. Sure they likely make money on advertising but I have seen way worse requests for free images.

I let them publish my pic of French Laundry.

snails
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 12:43
I've gotten one of these, I let them publish the photo. It's not a photo I'm going to make money off of anyway, they are not making money off of it and it's only 150x150 square. So it wasn't a big deal.

kenwood33
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 17:21

I'm more proud/impressed that they shot they picked was taken with my iPhone and AutoStitch app. :D

in my experience, these people are taught to ask things for free

amfoto1
20th of November 2009 (Fri), 17:51
The folks at Schmap are doing what they are doing for a profit and paychecks.

Why should photographers give them anything for free? The least they could do is offer micro stock rates... As insulting as that would be, it's still not as insulting as some techie making $125,000 a year and dreaming of the day when they'll do an IPO and all be millionaires, asking you to give them a freebie.

tim
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 07:56
My cousin was thrilled to be published in a book a year or so ago, no payment of course. So thrilled she bought six copies at $100 each...

JeffreyG
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 08:11
I'm not against donating images - but I won't give them to someone who's going to make money off them.

Precisely. This isn't a charity looking to use your image. They plan to make money, and by not paying for photos they get to make more money.

Naturalist
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 08:15
IMHO, I would tell them to take a hike.

Even if you are not a "pro photographer", your work still has value and should be worth more than a link to flickr and a İYour Name.

Big Pete
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 12:23
FOR FREE!!!!

I'm with Harlan Ellis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

cdifoto
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 15:08
My cousin was thrilled to be published in a book a year or so ago, no payment of course. So thrilled she bought six copies at $100 each...
Clever bastages! :D

freaking102
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 19:52
I fully intend to decline the following offer just on the principle.

what principle?

you are an amateur that is apparently not seeking to make money in photography, so why would you be upset when an internet publication that has a business model of only publishing amateur work asks to publish your work? give them a simple yes or no and move on.

the world is now full of many millions of amateur photogs posting their pics and it is so easy to transmit pics, consequently it seems quite logical for people to form businesses that specialize in using low or no cost photography.

if you want to rise above ranks of amateur photographer you better be able to make and market photos that are far better and more marketable than amatuers'

nicksan
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 20:18
I let them use 3 of my images.
No big deal really.

dawiyo
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 20:26
what principle?

I am upset because I hear from a lot of my friends (photographers and photo editors) who tell me about the current "trouble" the industry is in because of both companies trying to get something for nothing, and amateurs willing to give it all away for a chance to have their name printed on something over than their drivers license.

so why would you be upset when an internet publication that has a business model of only publishing amateur work asks to publish your work?

I am upset because if there weren't so many amateurs willing to give it all to this company, it would give an opportunity to professional photographers to have another source of income.

With dSLRs getting cheaper and cheaper, and more and more people picking it up photography as a hobby, it is silently killing those, including my friends, who use it as a profession.

dawiyo
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 20:34
FOR FREE!!!!

I'm with Harlan Ellis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Thank you for posting that. I was looking for it the other day. This conveys my thoughts exactly.

jacuff
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 20:56

Since they usually find from flickr... Do you have a link to the photo on flickr?

This it? http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawiyo/3811464347/

dawiyo
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 21:02
Next one actually.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/3811468635_cbba1bda04_b.jpg

northpointphoto
21st of November 2009 (Sat), 21:25
what principle?

you are an amateur that is apparently not seeking to make money in photography, so why would you be upset when an internet publication that has a business model of only publishing amateur work asks to publish your work? give them a simple yes or no and move on.

the world is now full of many millions of amateur photogs posting their pics and it is so easy to transmit pics, consequently it seems quite logical for people to form businesses that specialize in using low or no cost photography.

if you want to rise above ranks of amateur photographer you better be able to make and market photos that are far better and more marketable than amatuers'

Just because he is an amateur photographer doesn't mean he doesn't want to be paid. I actually know for a fact that Dave (dawiyo) has been published in Scion catalogues that were placed in dealerships as well as other national magazines.

I for one consider myself an amateur photographer. I work freelance for a newspaper that is a subsidiary of the Tribune company. I shoot for the newspaper several times a week which in turn means Im published in several prints every week.

I have also been published in several magazines including Import Tuner and internationally in a Subaru parts catalogue.

I consider myself an amateur because photography is not my main source of income by any stretch of the imagination.

Amateur/ hobbiest/ professional or whatever you want to call yourself its just a title. Titles have absolutely nothing to do with how good or bad someone's photography is or how much or how little they make. Its just a title.

I can see why dave would be upset if someone was trying to use him and his hard work for free just so they can make money off of it.

James Salenger
22nd of November 2009 (Sun), 11:23
Never give your work away.

MJPhotos24
22nd of November 2009 (Sun), 19:50
Just got a request for something similar, except they sent an email asking to send a photo along and no mention of pay or anything else really. Replied with questions and they said no pay - well they got no photo. Companies are always going to ask for free looking for people stupid enough to hand it over for nothing. They're making money off people making suckers out of them and harming the industry - and it has had a negative effect no matter how bad someone wants to argue amateurs can't hurt the industry. Difference is you just don't waste your time on companies like this, say no and move on as the credit they give - if any - is worthless, and they are just looking to use someone. Simple thing is if your photo is good enough to be published, it's good enough to be paid for.