PDA

View Full Version : Surface ideas

russkny
18th of December 2009 (Fri), 15:14
I'm very new to photography so there are a lot of things I don't know - that's why I come here :D

I just got a decent indoor lens (50 1.4) and want to take pictures of various objects in my house. The issue is, it gets pretty boring when everything is photographed on the same exact surface - my kitchen table. I was hoping someone here can recommend what to use for a variety of interesting surfaces.

Thanks!

sapearl
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 15:03
Hi Russ - how about this approach.

Instead of just the kitchen table, consider the "lighter" aspect of photographing these objects. How would the same item in the same place look at a different time of day with different ambient lighting? Morning light? Afternoon light? Bounced strobe light? Incandescent light?

You can create many different aspects of the same thing by varying the lighting. Remember, it's all about the light ! :D - Stu

russkny
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 16:21
Thanks Stu, I will definitely explore that idea as an option :)

I'd love to hear some more suggestions from all of you ;)

-R

canonloader
27th of December 2009 (Sun), 17:18
A wood floor, rug, various pieces of cloth, bring in a bag of leaves. all sorts of colors and textures in the world. Get yourself a couple of those aluminum reflector light holders from Menards for various lighting. With Digital cameras, you can use any light in them and correct the color later. Shoot in RAW so you have better control. I just ordered a light tent, so am getting some ideas flowing too. You might take a stroll through the sewing section of a Walmart of Ben Franklin, they have tons of different types, colors, textures and patterns of cloth and they are fairly cheap.

russkny
28th of December 2009 (Mon), 15:38
A wood floor, rug, various pieces of cloth, bring in a bag of leaves. all sorts of colors and textures in the world. Get yourself a couple of those aluminum reflector light holders from Menards for various lighting. With Digital cameras, you can use any light in them and correct the color later. Shoot in RAW so you have better control. I just ordered a light tent, so am getting some ideas flowing too. You might take a stroll through the sewing section of a Walmart of Ben Franklin, they have tons of different types, colors, textures and patterns of cloth and they are fairly cheap.

Thanks! Those are great suggestions! :D

canonloader
28th of December 2009 (Mon), 15:48
I have been reading a lot about this in the last few days. Get some clear or colored plexiglass and some colored construction paper to go under it. The plexiglass on the bottom will make a reflective surface and colored paper under it will add color. And don't forget to Google something if you can't think of anything. Google is full of all kinds of knowledge, as is this forum. :)

russkny
28th of December 2009 (Mon), 23:06
Thanks for all your advice, canonloader! :)

canonloader
31st of December 2009 (Thu), 05:56
After a lot of searching the internet, I finally figured out how to get a reflective surface to shoot from, that does not show the double reflection you get from glass or plexiglass. You've probably seen pictures of stuff taken on glass, maybe with some colored paper beneath it to change the light or color. but look close, glass and other clear sheet goods have two reflective surfaces, the top one, and the inside of the bottom one, and when the light is right, they reflect back two images that can make your eyes water if you try to focus on it. :)

Simple fix. Go to Menard's or Home Depot, to the tile aisle. Buy a one foot square piece of polished black marble. Might as well get one in white, and then look around for some other interesting surfaces also. I use to work in construction, and the number of varied tiles you can buy is enormous, there are literally hundreds of types of tiles sold in one foot squares, and cheap too.

I'm waiting for Menard's to open now. :)

These tiles, while very shiney, reflect only from the top surface, giving you a perfect reflection of the item your photographing.