PDA

View Full Version : hello, new and need some critques

Kpablo
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 18:06
Couldn't find the new member section, so I'll introduce myself here, and post pictures for crtique.

Hello, I’m Katie from the DFW area in Texas. I have always enjoyed the art of photography, whether from others or pictures that I have taken. With that being said, I’m a complete amateur with a Rebel T1i.

In college I took a photography class, bought a film SLR, don’t ask what brand or model I have know idea. I bought it in 2006 for 500 dollars. I took the class and in the middle of the semester dropped it. Let’s just say young and dumb. Now, I want to get back into it.

I recently joined my local photography club, so plan on learning a lot with their trips and monthly meetings.

What am I planning on doing?

I train my Doberman in the sport of Agility. I go to competitions with lightening fast dogs that compete indoors with very awful low lighting. I also go to conformation shows that is a little slower paced but equally craptastic lighting.

My dog and I are really getting into the hiking hobby. We are always outside and I take pictures of nature with my point and shoot.

These were done yesterday at an agility fun match. No flash was used on any of these because of natural lighting. I didn't do much editing, straightening the walk and some contrast change. If anyone could tell me what I can do differently that would be great. With the cocker spaniel (black and white dog with the long ears) I wish the leash wasn't in the way, I think it's pretty distracting. And of the teacup poodle (last picture) it may be a little over-sharpened.

I have a Rebel T1i and I used a 55-250mm lens.

No. 1 - F/5.6 1/1600 sec.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2749/4198153707_568095b6c8.jpg

No 2. F/5.6 1/400 sec.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2655/4197889045_2ddb798254.jpg

No. 3. F/5 1/800 sec.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2493/4197886197_f45ed7ac9d.jpg

No. 4. F/5.6 1/1600 sec.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4197976031_266fcd77bb.jpg

No. 5. F/5.6 1/2000 sec.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/4197881513_62b0f24715.jpg

jacksonvillenp
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 18:16
Welcome Katie!
What a fun set of pics. I do like shots 3 and 5 and agree, with some edits they could be fab.
What program do you use for editing? If you use any of the photo shop line you can easily remove that leash in shot 3....even a tighter crop could help you lose atleast half of it.

Can't wait to see more...

Kpablo
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 18:26
Thanks for your input. I don't have any photoshop, yet. I don't plan on editing a whole lot, so plan on just getting the Elements. I only have GIMP right now.

jacksonvillenp
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 18:42
LOL Katie, That is exactly what I said. My exact words "a good photographer doesn't need to edit" I did get the Elements 8 free trial download and I was hooked! I have to say I am having loads of fun exploring what fun editing can be. I find that even shots that I once would have deleted can become "masterpieces" with alittle time and TLC. Go to the adobe web site and get the free trial and work on a few of these and see what you can produce.

Kpablo
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 19:16
So do you think I should get actual photoshop instead of Elements?

Kpablo
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 22:27
No more critques? Should I have posted in a different section to get more visitors?

emilybrooke
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 22:31
Hiya Katie! I'm very much a beginner as well, and this forum has already helped me quite a bit (and I've only been here for one day so far, haha). I second Photoshop Elements 8; I have the full version of 7 (I think?) and both do the job for me..

Also, very fun pictures! I especially love the last little guy -- soo cute!

vk2gwk
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 22:40
Welcome, Katie - Very nice shots that with a bit of correction here and there could be "great". Love #5 but the tube and the grass is a bit washed out. If shot in RAW all these things can easily be corrected.

If you are still registered with an educational institution you might qualify for the Photoshop "Academic" version, which is very cheap.

Kpablo
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 22:42
Welcome, Katie - Very nice shots that with a bit of correction here and there could be "great". Love #5 but the tube and the grass is a bit washed out. If shot in RAW all these things can easily be corrected.

If you are still registered with an educational institution you might qualify for the Photoshop "Academic" version, which is very cheap.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I can see if they have a class for that. They also have workshops at my photography club.

So you guys are saying they need to be edited, what exactly SHOULD be edited? I really don't have the eye to point out what needs to be corrected yet.

Unfortunantly none of these were done in RAW. I left my larger SD card at home like an idiot and didn't want to use all my memory available. There were about 40 dogs with 1-5 runs each. So I took lots of shots with just a 4gb card. I'm definantly getting a 16gb card, shortly.

vk2gwk
20th of December 2009 (Sun), 23:48
Like "jacksonvillenp" already remarked you can get rid of the leash in #3. Most of all you'll want to correct the exposure in some shots and possibly the contrast/brightness. Sometimes a bit of sharpening can improve the over all image quality. I don't know if you did any cropping but that is part of the post processing to.

Olli
21st of December 2009 (Mon), 01:30
Couldn't find the new member section, so I'll introduce myself here, and post pictures for crtique.

Hello, Iím Katie from the DFW area in Texas. ...Welcome Katie to POTN. You surely will get a lot of good advice in no time. :D

We also have a thread for new members: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118137. You might like to introduce yourself there.

Cetre
21st of December 2009 (Mon), 07:14
Welcome Katie!

I joined in October, so I definitely consider myself a noob as well! Your shots look incredibly fun! I JUST got Elements 8 myself and have no idea where and how to begin, so perhaps we can hand hold as the months progress! :D

I will tell you the kind folks in this forum are EXTREMELY helpful and honest which is what we all need to grow.

Best to ya, look forward to more photos from ya!

Flo
21st of December 2009 (Mon), 11:27
Welcome to POTN!

Great series you have started with! You have a good eye, and the photos are crisp and colors are lovely. Don be afraid to get up close!!

jetcode
21st of December 2009 (Mon), 12:53
far out ... love the dogs! ... nice subject isolation and who doesn't love the joy and enthusiasm of a dog!

I took my 1st photography class in 1974 but didn't take to it until 1996.