PDA

View Full Version : NEW 70-200mm 2.8!!!!

atmianzo
5th of January 2010 (Tue), 20:36
check it out!!! http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=19092

dmccabe
5th of January 2010 (Tue), 20:43
wow... it is finally here. My favorite lens ever, now improved.

AxxisPhoto
5th of January 2010 (Tue), 20:46
Damn! 4 stops of correction with IS.

ssnxp
5th of January 2010 (Tue), 22:15
http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/01/canon-ef-70-200-f2-8l-is-ii-usm/

Rumored to be around $4,000 USD.. I hope that rumor is wrong.

J_TULLAR
5th of January 2010 (Tue), 22:27
oh gawd... just because the euro price is 2900 euro does not mean it will be 4k usd. You cannot convert the euro price for the american price. Canon prices things differently per market. Look at the 1D mark IV for proof.... Euro price $4500 euro/ us price $5k usd. If I used the euro price to judge the us price for the mark iv then I would pay $6500 usd. I seriously think they should sticky this.

cpforyou
5th of January 2010 (Tue), 22:41
oh gawd... just because the euro price is 2900 euro does not mean it will be 4k usd. You cannot convert the euro price for the american price. Canon prices things differently per market. Look at the 1D mark IV for proof.... Euro price $4500 euro/ us price $5k usd. If I used the euro price to judge the us price for the mark iv then I would pay $6500 usd. I seriously think they should sticky this.

If that's the case, would it not be better for a UK person to travel to the US for vacation, buy it in the US, and then go back and come out about the same? Or will export laws stop it?

J_TULLAR
5th of January 2010 (Tue), 22:56
If that's the case, would it not be better for a UK person to travel to the US for vacation, buy it in the US, and then go back and come out about the same? Or will export laws stop it?

Some do, but if you carry it with you in the box... import tax! Now the best I hear is to buy it and wear the camera on the plane and send the box in the mail. Also you got to think about warranty as well.

ssnxp
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 02:11

Oh. Thanks for sharing, I was just reporting what I heard.

Absolutely Fabulous
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 02:26
Oh man...goodbye bone marrow, hello new lens! :)

Goodbye bone marrow? That comment lost me

And as far as Brits importing cheaper US goods, well your suppose to queue up at the airport for customs and declare everything and pay your tax. Now when you have a flight from florida full of Brits, you know damn well everyone on that plane has been shopping, but never have I seen anyone run to the "anything to declare" queue:p

Absolutely Fabulous
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 02:57
Gonna have to sell mine to afford this damn lens.

Ohhhhhhh, see in the UK we donate it to help people, vs make money LOL

And after having a child with bone marrow failure syndrome it's a good thing to donate!

Absolutely Fabulous
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 03:54
I should have known someone would be offended. Comment removed.

No no no! that isn't what I meant. I just had no clue they did that here! And I was stating that donating was a GOOD thing, even if you get paid it's a good thing, as many don't donate. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear :oops:

10megapixel
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 03:57
No no no! that isn't what I meant. I just had no clue they did that here! And I was stating that donating was a GOOD thing, even if you get paid it's a good thing, as many don't donate. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear :oops:

It's illegal in the US to sell marrow or organs, and that was the bad joke...like saying, "Gonna have to sell my kidney" or whatever to buy that expensive lens. I just better watch my comments and stay on topic...it's how arguments get started, and threads get closed eventually ;)

Actually, I hope the new version just drives the old IS versions resale price down. I would like another one with IS.

iCanon
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 04:07
There is a big difference between price of new 70-200 with previous version !!!!!
Is it worth ??
the quality of new version is worth that pay more than 2 time ?

10megapixel
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 04:10
There is a big difference between price of new 70-200 with previous version !!!!!
Is it worth ??
the quality of new version is worth that pay more than 2 time ?

I don't think the price has been released yet. I doubt it's twice the price of the current version.

iCanon
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 04:35
I don't think the price has been released yet. I doubt it's twice the price of the current version.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-70-200mm-f2-8-l-is-ii-usm-lens/p1518838

2799.99 eu for preordering

10megapixel
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 05:04
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-70-200mm-f2-8-l-is-ii-usm-lens/p1518838
2799.99 eu for preordering

I'm talking about U.S. prices.

Lightworks Imaging
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 05:36
Typical, picked up my current model, about a month ago. Oh well, that pretty much stretched the budget, so although this is an awesome piece, just more to dream of for me.

JayCee Images
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 15:18

Im doubting it too...or else they arent going to sell many when your talking a very minimal update at best.

saturnin
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 15:28
i have the 2.8 L and i'm loving it... no need to upgrade just yet

DeVVitt
6th of January 2010 (Wed), 15:38
I was already considering to get the 70-200 2.8 IS Mk I. For me, the price difference (I'm Dutch) is way too big to even look at the Mk II, and I do not consider the upgrades worth enough for that amount of money.

So, it will be the known workhorse called 70-200 2.8 IS Mk I soon enough for me!

iCanon
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 00:16
I'm talking about U.S. prices.

so when you change this price to US $ it is about 4000$ !!
and you think 4000$ worth for 1 stop more and quality as like as 4 IS ?

Absolutely Fabulous
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 00:20
there are quite a few 70-200's anyone willing to help a newbie understand the differences?

Stealthy Ninja
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 00:41
there are quite a few 70-200's anyone willing to help a newbie understand the differences?

f/4 cheap no IS light... good for people on a budget. Still sharp.
f/4 IS very sharp, great IS and relatively cheap and light (just doesn't go to f/2.8 ) Best lens in its class.
f/2.8 goes to 2.8, no IS
f/2.8 IS (mark 1) goes to 2.8, bit heavy, expensive, IS not as good as the f/4 IS a little less sharp than the f/4 IS

f/2.8 IS (mark 2) goes to 2.8, bit heavy, expensive, IS as good as the f/4 IS (if not better), possibly better sharpness and IQ than the others. Time will tell.

All are great lenses. It comes down to if you need IS and 2.8 (DOF control and speed).

Stealthy Ninja
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 00:50
Well, I just got word my pre-order* just went through (I did it through my friend who buys heaps of stuff there, they'll work harder for him). :)

The shop guys didn't know it was announced! I'm possibly the first person in Hong Kong (definably the first at that shop) to "pre-order" the lens. :D :D

The shop dudes said they'll call Canon about it. So, hopefully they can get it as soon as it's released to the public (March would be ideal).

*putting my name down for one at a local shop.

Karl Johnston
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 01:19
If this lens is really 4000, does that mean the predecessors also go up? The non IS version is what I use and I've never had a reason to want IS.

EtherealZee
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 01:25

As an Aussie, I can tell you yes. It is cheaper for me to fly to Hong Kong, buy a 5DII, have a holiday, and then fly back, than to buy it locally. And I'll probably still save money - depending on length of stay and hotel choice, of course.

Lenses are the same. In fact, all my lenses have been purchased in either the US or Asia, seeing as I go to both fairly regularly.

Stealthy Ninja
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 01:28
If this lens is really 4000, does that mean the predecessors also go up? The non IS version is what I use and I've never had a reason to want IS.

Dude, it won't be that much. You can't take Euros and just convert it into USD. ;)

It will be around $2000-$2500 I'd guess.

Stealthy Ninja
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 01:33
Look at it this way...
According to the Canon Japan site:

It's ¥300,000 (yen)

Which is $3,254.33 USD :shock: Too much I'd say!

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/lineup/tele-zoom/ef70-200-f28l-is-ii/index.html

So I think you can't just convert the yen to dollars like that either... no way I can pay $25,000HKD for that lens.

For reference, the current one is priced: ¥280,000 which is $3,037USD. But if you look at the US site, it's $1999.

So I'd hazard to guess the new version will be:

$2250 USD

$17,500 HKD ($2500 more than SRP for the current one).

EtherealZee
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 01:35
I think some of you yanks really need to check out the price of things overseas. You'll be quite shocked. You usually pay 30-50% less for things like cars, TV's cameras etc. than most other countries.

Z...

Ninja edit - Even comparing US prices to Japanese pricing, I have always found US pricing cheaper for camera gear. Only HK matches (and sometimes beats) US pricing for electronics.

Stealthy Ninja
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 01:43
The HKD is pegged to the USD (always about the same rate).

We get things a little cheaper because we don't have so many taxes etc. and we're closer to Japan too. ;)

Sorry if it's already been posted:

SAMPLES (click on the words beneath the picture to see them big):
http://www.canon.com.cn/products/camera/ef/chanpin/ysbj/ef70-200-28lis2_sample.html

Unfortunately none are at 2.8. But we take what we can get.

That_Fox
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 03:40
The samples really aren't as sharp as I'd expect them to be for the price of the lens. None of them really looked too extraordinarily sharp, save for the /5.6 picture.

Stealthy Ninja
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 04:41
^^ Remember, we only have the european and japan prices at the moment. ;)

I think it's pretty good for a zoom:

This one is sharper than the 5.6 IMHO:
http://www.canon.com.cn/products/camera/ef/chanpin/ysbj/images/ef_70-200mm_f-2.8l_is_2_usm_sample4.jpg

10megapixel
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 10:38
so when you change this price to US $ it is about 4000$ !!
and you think 4000$ worth for 1 stop more and quality as like as 4 IS ?

First, read the entire thread...try post #5.
Second, no I don't think it's worth $4000 bucks. I never said anywhere that it was, nor did I make any assumptions about the quality. Personally, I would spend that kind of cash on either a 200 2.0L IS or 300 2.8L IS.

Stealthy Ninja
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 12:06
Yep, Canon aren't so dumb as to price themselves out of selling as many as this lens can sell. It won't be much different in price to the new Noink VR one.

JayCee Images
7th of January 2010 (Thu), 23:16

Since its predecessor will probably be discontinued, i think youll see price drop eventually...especially on used items for people upgrading(tech junkies who must have the latest\greatest at really no appreciable increase of performance...IMO;) )

AlexMoPhotography
8th of January 2010 (Fri), 00:51
Feast your eyes on this new bad boy straight from the CES convention from the Canon booth:

http://photos.imageevent.com/alexmophotos/random/70-2002.8ismkii.jpg

They didn't let us try it out, but they did let us handle it. Seemed lighter than the mk I version, but maybe it's just me.

marcus769
8th of January 2010 (Fri), 01:25
good news! Hope we can get a price soon!

Stealthy Ninja
8th of January 2010 (Fri), 01:28
^^ +1 on the price. I'd like to know how much more I need to save before I start getting into saving for the 1DIV.

Is that a new X2 extender?! ???

:p

Stan Jones Photography
8th of January 2010 (Fri), 03:00
...uhhhhhhhhh.....

amd is the best
8th of January 2010 (Fri), 03:48
Damn, that just means the value of our MK1's went down :( . Lol. Seems pretty sweet though, hopefully that price isn't true.

Looks to be a different color white too, more like the f/4.

J_TULLAR
8th of January 2010 (Fri), 13:39
Damn, that just means the value of our MK1's went down :( . Lol. Seems pretty sweet though, hopefully that price isn't true.

Looks to be a different color white too, more like the f/4.

I wouldnt say that......

StudioBin
9th of January 2010 (Sat), 11:04
I hope some of you are right. If it drives the current version's price down it will be a good thing. However I hope Canon did not raise the MSRP too much when compared to the old version. Only time will tell I guess for pricing to the US market.

ALEXMOPHotography...Cool pic., anything else of interest at the CES?

cuongduong
15th of January 2010 (Fri), 15:51
I hope there will be a substantial price drop on the would-be older 70-200 f/2.8 IS when the Mk II version hits the shelf.

JayCee Images
15th of January 2010 (Fri), 16:00
I hope there will be a substantial price drop on the would-be older 70-200 f/2.8 IS when the Mk II version hits the shelf.

Wouldnt count on prices substantially dropping anytime soon...

Im sure used ones will drop some but not by huge margins.

professorman
19th of January 2010 (Tue), 12:11
Man, I hope the price of my non-IS version doesnt drop. I just picked it up.

District_History_Fan
24th of January 2010 (Sun), 10:04
My guess is that the MkII version will sell for $2500 USD. :smile: That is out of my "reasonable" price range at the moment, but it doesn't matter anyway as I LOVE my 70-200f4L IS.

Jannie
25th of January 2010 (Mon), 14:08
My guess is it will be + or - $200 compared to the latest Nikon version.