PDA

View Full Version : Canon Pixma ink - what's the Pigment black for?

tkbslc
30th of January 2010 (Sat), 22:34
ON most of the newer home-grade PIXMA printers, there are 5 inks. There's the standard 3 dye-based colors (CYM) and then there are 2 blacks, one pigment and one dye. I can't figure out which black does what. The Pigment black description talks up sharp black text, so I was thinking it was used for text. But then my ink is running low from printing a LOT of photos, and the Pigment black is almost gone, like the 3 photo colors. The Dye based black is nearly full still. I have not printed much text.

Anyone know for sure what the separate Pigment and Dye blacks accomplish?

sheawyatt
30th of January 2010 (Sat), 23:50
ON most of the newer home-grade PIXMA printers, there are 5 inks. There's the standard 3 dye-based colors (CYM) and then there are 2 blacks, one pigment and one dye. I can't figure out which black does what. The Pigment black description talks up sharp black text, so I was thinking it was used for text. But then my ink is running low from printing a LOT of photos, and the Pigment black is almost gone, like the 3 photo colors. The Dye based black is nearly full still. I have not printed much text.

Anyone know for sure what the separate Pigment and Dye blacks accomplish?

If I recall correctly one black ink in consumer PIXMA printers isn't "pigment black" it is "photo black," and as such is the ink tank used whenever any type of photo paper is selected in the settings, while the other black ink is used for documents. I don't know how the photo black and regular black inks differ.

tkbslc
30th of January 2010 (Sat), 23:55
Well I appreciate the response, but it actually is a pigment black.

"High Performace Individual Ink System
This 5-color ink system consists of four dye-based inks plus a pigment-based black ink, producing exceptional photos and crisp, laser-quality text. So, you only replace the color ink tank that runs out...saving you money on ink!"

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_172687_-1

"Large capacity pigment ink tank for superior text quality"

So it HAS to be the text black, it sounds like. But why is the Pigment half gone, while my dye-black still full when I have printed well over 100 photos and maybe only 50 pages of text? The Yellow and Cyan are almost gone.

sheawyatt
31st of January 2010 (Sun), 01:31
Well I appreciate the response, but it actually is a pigment black.

"High Performace Individual Ink System
This 5-color ink system consists of four dye-based inks plus a pigment-based black ink, producing exceptional photos and crisp, laser-quality text. So, you only replace the color ink tank that runs out...saving you money on ink!"

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_172687_-1

So it HAS to be the text black, it sounds like. But why is the Pigment half gone, while my dye-black still full when I have printed well over 100 photos and maybe only 50 pages of text? The Yellow and Cyan are almost gone.

Ah, I see. I had an old pixma (i950) that had the dual black system, but I guess they have changed the types of ink. Or maybe I just never really understood it I've always assumed that manufacturers didn't mix pigment and dye ink cartridges in the same printers because of the different properties of both ink types, but I guess that might not be as important for black text (and it must not be a problem for the shared print head).

I'm not sure how to interpret your problem. Your deduction from the product description makes sense, so I've got no idea what could be going on. Strange.

Lowner
31st of January 2010 (Sun), 08:10
I use an Epson R2880 with eight cartridges. 3 of those are black. We have a choice of gloss or mat black, then theres light black and light, light black. These are all pigment inks.

Your printer uses all the cartridges all the time, strange as that may seem when you print a B&W letter. But how the printer mixes the colours moment by moment, drop by precious drop is decided by the driver which probably has a reference colour chart tucked away in its memory. It could easily decide it needs a little of each, or a drop from only one cartridge. Hence the "never the same twice" usage rate.

ChasP505
31st of January 2010 (Sun), 08:23

This is so typical... Yes, the pigment ink is for text documents. HP does this too with several models. And I wouldn't be surprised if the black pigment cartridge that came with the printer wasn't completely full-- also very typical. And you will typically use Yellow and Cyan at a disproportional rate compared to Magenta and Black.

tkbslc
31st of January 2010 (Sun), 13:15
Thanks, guys. I am not really worried about it as, of course, I have no choice in what ink is used for what purpose. Just curious. I did just order the wrong black, though, assuming my dye black was the one that was almost gone. :)