PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant l'Equipage

AVL_
2nd of September 2001 (Sun), 15:30
I took this photo on the island of Belle-Ile, a beautiful place (what's in a name :)) in the south of Bretagne (Brittany), France. I just liked the colors - and I'd like to know if you agree or disagree wih me.

http://www.piwebs.com/fotos/IMG_1873_800.jpg
1024x768 version can be found here (http://www.piwebs.com/fotos/IMG_1873.jpg).

John Smith
4th of September 2001 (Tue), 07:23
J'aime beausoup les couleurs. Sont elles naturelles? Les tuiles sur les faîtières sont presque trop pour être vraies mais il arrive que des choses de ce genre se produisent.

Quiqu'il en soit, une bien belle image.

mpkirby
5th of September 2001 (Wed), 14:54
Hmm..

1) A lot of sky. Perhaps a little too much.

2) One way to look at architectural photography is to look at it like you are taking a "portrait" of a person. The building is the person. I think if I look at this image in this way, I'm seeing a mug-shot of a beautiful building. I want the building to be "smiling", or showing emotion, or doing something. Just like I would want a person to be doing all of these things. of course that's a real tough thing to accomplish with a building that is "static" :-)

3) The colors of the building are beautiful. The red accents on the roof are cool too. Again. If more of the building was in the picture, I think I would enjoy it more. Perhaps move out another 20 degrees or so, and have the building in the right 2 thirds of the image, with the sky in the top 1/3, and left 1/3 of the image. Perhaps some kind of fore-ground image (relaxing tourists, or something like that) to set the mood appopriately.

Mike

beach512
5th of September 2001 (Wed), 21:16
I like this photo a lot. I am especially fond of nice blue skies for some reason. When the picture was loading, I thought, this is great!! Great colors, the building is interesting with the coloring.....then the bottom of the photo appeared and showed a picnic table umbrella and other stuff at the bottom. I would crop that stuff off at the bottom and the photo would be outstanding. Simple and great colors. I would use it as one of my screen wallpaper samples.

What camera did you use ?

AVL_
6th of September 2001 (Thu), 14:24
John Smith: Merci! :)

Mike: Thanks for your comments.
1) A lot of sky. Perhaps a little too much.
I am myself very happy with that 'lot of sky' in this picture. I took it like this, because I think this helps to give the picture a very open, relaxed mood. But maybe I'm wrong :)
2) One way to look at architectural photography is to look at it like you are taking a "portrait" of a person. The building is the person. I think if I look at this image in this way, I'm seeing a mug-shot of a beautiful building. I want the building to be "smiling", or showing emotion, or doing something. Just like I would want a person to be doing all of these things. of course that's a real tough thing to accomplish with a building that is "static" :-)
That's very interesting. You certainly have a point - a big point. But I wasn't trying to make a picture of the building here. Instead, I wanted to see the pattern in the red rooftops: they are sort of standing in line. Same goes for the blue windows. If this was a picture with persons on it, it would be of persons standing in line, at the same angle as the rooftops now are.
3) The colors of the building are beautiful. The red accents on the roof are cool too. Again. If more of the building was in the picture, I think I would enjoy it more. Perhaps move out another 20 degrees or so, and have the building in the right 2 thirds of the image, with the sky in the top 1/3, and left 1/3 of the image. Perhaps some kind of fore-ground image (relaxing tourists, or something like that) to set the mood appopriately.
Same as 2, with a little addition. The goal of this point of view was also that by seeing the blue windows and the red rooftops in a line, your eyes are almost automatically led to the line between the sky and the sea.

Maybe I would have made a better picture with your tips - too late to try again now, though :)

beach512: I like this photo a lot. I am especially fond of nice blue skies for some reason. When the picture was loading, I thought, this is great!! Great colors, the building is interesting with the coloring.....then the bottom of the photo appeared and showed a picnic table umbrella and other stuff at the bottom. I would crop that stuff off at the bottom and the photo would be outstanding. Simple and great colors. I would use it as one of my screen wallpaper samples.

What camera did you use ?

Thanks! The picture was taken with a G1. A circular polarizer filter was used to have deeper colors.

I've thought about cropping out the bottom. However, that would also mean that the title of the restaurant (which I like) isn't readable anymore and that part of the 'frame', to be more specific the white fence, would disappear. I think it's a little less static with the framing as it is now. But if you want to crop out the bottom, I won't hold you back :).