PDA

View Full Version : Giving serious thought to buying a D300s

westernminnguy
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 17:30
No, I'm not jumping ship. I'm content with Canon.

Here's the deal.

I teach photography and am an advisor to many folks who shoot both Canon and Nikon.

Truth is, I think the 7D and D300s are a horse apiece...as are most Canon/Nikon camera races.

As I've said before the glass race between Nikon and Canon...well that's another story.

However, Nikon folks that I teach don't have quite the same trust, and I don't blame them, for me when I tell them that ISO, AF, Shutter speed etc. is the same...a camera is a camera....is a camera etc.....

I don't have a lot of experience with Nikon except when I was shooting for our local newspaper and I used a D2H on a daily basis; but that's ancient history and they have now switched to Canon.

Credibility is the name of the game and I thought about something in the Nikon camp less than a D300s but that seemed a waste of time.

I just wish I didn't have to buy new lenses for this camera. Nikon lenses are great from what I've heard but pricey....$$$$.

Nikon folks(and many of you are here) please feel free to respond.

:D

absolutic
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 18:06
Well we don't want to start a N vs C war here and talk about which body has better autofocus acqusition speed, and then which body actually can hold the accurate focus afterwards. As far as glass,
yes, you are right, on average Nikon serious glass i more expensive than Canon serious glass. On the other hand, Nikon's consumer lenses and kit lenses, such as 18-135, 18-105, etc are slightly cheaper than Canon's counterparts.

amyandmark3
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 18:12
Rog, is there a question mixed in with your post? Are you wondering which body or lenses to buy?

bacchanal
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 18:13
I don't think you necessarily need to pick up the most expensive glass to appreciate Nikon. Why not try the 35 f/1.8 or the 50 f/1.4 AF-S? You don't currently own Canon equivalents to those, and surely you could find some use for them.

Btw, I don't think the D90 is a waste of time.

yoopergirl
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 18:18
Good luck. It could be worse. Imagine being an Olympus shooter when classes are aimed at nikon and canon. I also wouldn't buy an expensive nikon.

westernminnguy
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 18:41
:)Rog, is there a question mixed in with your post? Did you already buy a D300s and are wondering which lenses to buy?

Hello Mark,

No and Yes.(p.m. me if you want more details)

I'm fairly heavily invested in Canon.

Assuming I buy(haven't yet but think I should for the benefit of my students)a D300s, which lens would tell me the most about what the D300s could do?

For Canon, I have many lenses(see my gear).

But....

I'm open here.

What lens could I get that would showcase the D300s?

Help me out here.

I'm ready to lay it on the line....buy the camera D300s with a lens.

What should I go for?

Tx.

Rog

themadman
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 18:45
If Nikkors are too expensive, and you just need a Nikon camera to your students trust you (which is kinda silly since photography has little to do with the body since both Nikons and Canons are very capable) just get a Nikon body and slap on some third party lenses. They will cost less than Nikkors and still work very well.

gotak
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 18:45
It doesn't make sense to me that you have to invest in another system just to teach people. Why is it necessary?

They are there to learn to take photos not learn how to use one brand.

Why is it that they don't trust you becuase you don't have a nikon?

westernminnguy
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:10
Why is it that they don't trust you becuase you don't have a nikon?

This is a Canon forum.

This forum has little to do with image quality or images would take the place of words...like the old saying goes a picture is worth a 1,000 words...except on a photography forum.

Nikon has yet to prove itself...even on a Canon forum.

Truth is, a lot of folks in this area look my way to decide Canon/Nikon.

And truth is, I don't think there is a lot of difference Canon/Nikon cameras....

I think there is something out there due to $$$ comparison in lenses.

However, if folks I know would be more comfortable getting into DSLR, the future of photography, if I owned a Nikon as well as Canon; I would buy Nikon and lenses.

Well now, there ya go...the future has a price...

amyandmark3
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:26
Rog, I've got to admit that I'm a bit confused by your replies in this thread, especially that last one (post #9) other than the part about there being little difference between Canon and Nikon (I agree by the way). As with the others, it also seems odd to me that you need to buy a Nikon for the benefit of your students. Is it that you want to own a Nikon to get used to the different nomenclature and user interface? I guess I could understand that as you'd probably like to know a little more about the Nikon system to make it easier to communicate with the students. But, you would probably do just as well to buy something like a D90 for 1/2 the cost if that's all you need it for. Also, if YOU want a Nikon to compare to your Canon setup, I could totally understand that as well (I did the same myself last year with the D90 and 16-85vr).

Mastamarek
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:35
better question is what don't you like about your 5D and 7D!? Its an absolute killer combo! I'm ordering 7D soon as well.

absolutic
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:36
Well I have and use D300 not the D300s. But they are quite similar. I guess if you want a good lens for D300, 17-55 or 24-70 are very lens, 14-24 is an excellent UWA. How much are you willing to invest?

westernminnguy
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:41
Rog, I've got to admit that I'm a bit confused by your replies in this thread, especially that last one (post #9) other than the part about there being little difference between Canon and Nikon (I agree by the way). As with the others, it also seems odd to me that you need to buy a Nikon for the benefit of your students. Is it that you want to own a Nikon to get used to the different nomenclature and user interface? I guess I could understand that as you'd probably like to know a little more about the Nikon system to make it easier to communicate with the students. But, you would probably do just as well to buy something like a D90 for 1/2 the cost if that's all you need it for. Also, if YOU want a Nikon to compare to your Canon setup, I could totally understand that as well (I did the same myself last year with the D90 and 16-85vr).

Amy and/or Mark,

I don't blame you for being confused. That's how money, maybe not great images, are made.

I've never been a brand fan.

If Canon cameras made the grade, that's what I used.

If PC's or MAC's made the grade, that's what I used.

Re: being a brand fan.

At the very beginning it's not a big issue.

If you bought Canon, that's what you think about for lenses.

If you bought Nikon, well....same thing......re: lenses.

Problem is:

Most folks can't get beyond that to discover DSLR photorapy.

They spend all their time talking about the advantages of Nikon vs. Canon and forget to focus on the picture.

So, what the hell.

I'll buy Nikon.

Hopefully, in the process, my students will forget about brand names and actually start to focus on the quality of the picture.

themadman
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:43
If I taught a class and my students were more preoccupied with brands than good photos, I'd tell them to shape up or get out. Photography is not about collecting gear or having the best stuff, it is about taking photos.

bacchanal
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:48
If I taught a class and my students were more preoccupied with brands than good photos, I'd tell them to shape up or get out. Photography is not about collecting gear or having the best stuff, it is about taking photos.

Agreed, why not just teach the students not to focus on gear, instead of focusing on gear?

amyandmark3
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:56
I agree with Will and Drew. You seem to be very focused on the Canon vs. Nikon equipment yourself, so it's no surprise your students are.

FWIW, I'm not confused by the brand issue, I'm confused by your posts in this thread. Good luck in achieving whatever it is you're trying to achieve.

Mastamarek
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 19:59
I agree with Will and Drew. You seem to be very focused on the Canon vs. Nikon equipment yourself, so it's no surprise your students are.

FWIW, I'm not confused by the brand issue, I'm confused by your posts in this thread. Good luck in achieving whatever it is you're trying to achieve.

agreed ^^ We still don't have a reason from ya why you don't like your cameras. I can't think of a situation where 5D2 and 7D combo would perform anything less then brilliant.

10megapixel
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 20:51
I don't understand what your dilemma is here exactly. Are you saying that your students and friends prefer Nikon over Canon, and that you lose some sort of "Credibility" with them using Canon yourself ?

Your the teacher and they are the students,They are there to learn and should respect your knowledge no matter what you shoot with. If they don't just flunk em' :D

westernminnguy
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 21:12

You are right; with one exception.

It's the Canon students, it's the Nikon students who can only see one possible solution...Canon or Nikon...and on and on it goes.

I can't change the fact that most of the world seems to think they can't take a good picture if they don't use a Canon or Nikon camera or...at school anyway...they can't process a program if they aren't using a MAC or they aren't using a P.C.

Truth is...

Canon...Nikon...you will take a good picture.

MAC ... PC you will process a program.

So why fight it?

If I buy a D300c and shoot almost exactly the same picture I would have shot with a 7D...my Nikon students will say...cool...see how those 51 AF points made a difference.....

In the end, by using a Nikon, with folks that speak Nikon, I might actually be able to teach something.

And...truth is....

The same holds true with Canon.

I'll have students who will say...see how you could take that picture now that you have a 7D???

I probably would have shot the same picture with my long gone OM-1 with a 50mm lens.

It's not what makes me comfortable. It's what makes the students comortable.

And again, I will say, there's next to no difference, other than cost, between Nikon and Canon.

However, there are a lot of folks that have their ego's tied up in one brand or the other...and their ability to learn tied up in one brand or the other.

So, you meet yours students where they are at.

That's why I ask...

D300s...How do I get the most out of this camera for the least amount of lens investment.

themadman
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 21:37
Whatever makes your business work =)

I posted this before but I think it was ignored, what about third party lenses?

ilumo
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 22:56
What don't y'all understand about the ops dillema? Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Sometimes you just can't tell people certain things. You have to SHOW them which is why the op wants to get the nikon.
D90 is pretty nice. You can't get that and a tamron 17-50vc and 70-300 and a 30 1.4 prime

crn3371
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 23:16
What about the poor Pentax, Sony, or Olympus students?

themadman
18th of February 2010 (Thu), 23:17
What about the poor Pentax, Sony, or Olympus students?

or Sigma or Fujifilm students? They are always forgotten.

René Damkot
19th of February 2010 (Fri), 02:17
Since this is a thread about "general" gear I've moved this to General Talk.

Seems strange to me that students don't "trust" you on Nikon (That's how I read the OP?) since you seem to have enough experience with Nikon.

I've been teaching photography classes as well, and there never was any "distrust" with either Nikon or Canon shooters: I used to use Nikon, been shooting Canon since the Eos 1n. Yet I still knew the Nikon cameras better then most students ;)

neilwood32
19th of February 2010 (Fri), 11:10
If it was me, I would go for a cheap bottom of the range camera from any manufacturer and show them that can capture just as good an image as the top of the range one if used correctly

Eno_Khem
21st of February 2010 (Sun), 02:24
If it was me, I would go for a cheap bottom of the range camera from any manufacturer and show them that can capture just as good an image as the top of the range one if used correctly

Agree, if you just want to show your Nikon students that you can teach them then just buy D3000 D5000 D90+tam17-50 or something cheaper and produce some stunning shots. This will also make Sony Pentax Sigma etc. students understand that camera brand doesn't matter.

eelnoraa
21st of February 2010 (Sun), 02:49
I shoot with D300 (not the D300s) for a while, I don't own it. Now I have 7D. Beside all ergo, menu, button layout .... things that N and C users swear by each brand, there are 2 things in D300 worth mentioned, I think the same applied for D300s:

1) D300 definitely sealed better, especially battery door, CF door, connection cover. After seeing the D300 implementation, I highly doubt 7D is sealed camera.

2) D300 has spot meter link to AF points, 7D still don't have this.

7D has much better implement on live view, not sure if D300s make any improvement in this aspect.

I like D300 AF point coverage better, almost entire viewfiner cover, very nice.

I also like how D300 grip is attached to the body. 7D with grip is definitely NOT a sealed body anymore.

Other things are pretty equal between the two. Honestly, if I were to start all over today, I will probably pick D300s over 7D, not because of D300s is better than 7D, it is more like Nikon's concept and upgrade path seems to better for me. I like D700 feature set much more than 5Dii.

westernminnguy
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 18:27
I'm still ready to pull the trigger, waiting to experience the difference for myself.

Hardware is just that for me...hardware...Nikon...Canon...just a camera.

We have a camera club here in western Minnestota.

Most are Canon folks who, like me for years , are happy with Canon.

Yet, there are dedicated Nikon folks and I think they probably have good stuff.....can't say from experience.

So, I want a little experience.....

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a D300s. I'm not expecting miracles with the D300S...just want to know how it works in the real world...like my 7D.

I already know from research this is a top notch camera..the D300s.

I'm looking for an excuse to try out a Nikon D300s. I've got the direct competitor; the 7D....I already know this is a super camera...and I'm thinking the D300s is a super camera.

I'm hoping this is an open discussion....

Take care all....

:)

watt100
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 18:37
I'm still ready to pull the trigger, waiting to experience the difference for myself.

Hardware is just that for me...hardware...Nikon...Canon...just a camera.

We have a camera club here in western Minnestota.

Most are Canon folks who, like me for years , are happy with Canon.

Yet, there are dedicated Nikon folks and I think they probably have good stuff.....can't say from experience.

So, I want a little experience.....

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a D300s. I'm not expecting miracles with the D300S...just want to know how it works in the real world...like my 7D.

I already know from research this is a top notch camera..the D300s.

I'm looking for an excuse to try out a Nikon D300s. I've got the direct competitor; the 7D....I already know this is a super camera...and I'm thinking the D300s is a super camera.

I'm hoping this is an open discussion....

Take care all....

OK, take care..
but looking at all the cameras you've bought - 1DIIn, 5D, 40D, 350D, 7D, 5DMKII, G2, etc. do you think you will be satisfied?

or is it you just gotta buy one more?

DarthVader
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 18:40
Not clear why you need another thread ?.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=829061

This will probably be moved just like your previous one.

drisley
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 18:52
A switch from a 7D to a D300s is a step sideways at best, probably a slight step backwards according to most reviews and people I talk to with both cameras.
If you can't take the quality of images you like with the 7D, don't expect any better with the D300s.
The only reason I would consider it is if there were lenses you wanted that you couldn't get for your 7D.
If you are doing it to help your knowledge base as a teacher of photography, then that's another thing altogether and if you have the $$, then go for it.

KarinMichelle
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:01
Fantastic camera. Perfect fit in my hand, buttons in all the right places, fantastic dynamic lighting. I could go on and on. I sold it because I couldn't afford the Nikon lenses and they just don't have the same variety. Came down to that for me and I don't regret it.

Karl Johnston
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:05
Teach your students not to be so stupid..if you need a brand new camera of a certain brand to appeal to the students then you probably shouldn't be teaching photography.

Just tell them to hit up BH for the latest and the greatest reveiewed or starred piece of equipment. Fill up their credit cards to the brim with the best of G or L or Z lenses and fire away full tilt. Don't forget the green rectangle, cause that'll be important...

http://www.whattheduck.net/sites/default/files/WTD156_0.gif

westernminnguy
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:26

Yep...your right.

Except...

I really didn't get an answer from the Nikon folks...and they are thick on this forum.

I wouldn't mind a second(I originally shot with a D2H for our newspaper) experience with a Nikon.

Tx.

jerryclark
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:28
Sober up and see how you feel!

Kafn8td
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:32
I had a teacher back in the good old film days that always did the assignments with us, and of course his prints were almost always "wows". We always assumed he was using his Nikon (F1?) to make take the pictures.
At the end of the first semester we walked in and he had his prints on the wall with the negatives attached to them and the cameras he used sitting out. Everything brand of camera and every size of fim available. He said "It's a tool. If you need to drive a nail in the wall a screwdriver will probably work, but it works a whole bunch better with a hammer" (nail guns didn't exist back then).

The Moose
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:42
Won't really be a good comparison if you don't get Nikon's similar lenses. Using a D300s with whatever you bought (their nifty?) just to try out the body doesn't really compare it to the 7D.

DarthVader
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:47
They have their own spot:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=822524

Now I assume you know where to post question.

Yep...your right.

Except...

I really didn't get an answer from the Nikon folks...and they are thick on this forum.

I wouldn't mind a second(I originally shot with a D2H for our newspaper) experience with a Nikon.

Tx.

Mark_Cohran
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:51

Threads merged.

DarthVader
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 19:52
Wow...I thought I was hallucinating.

Threads merged.

westernminnguy
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:04
A switch from a 7D to a D300s is a step sideways at best, probably a slight step backwards according to most reviews and people I talk to with both cameras.
If you can't take the quality of images you like with the 7D, don't expect any better with the D300s.
The only reason I would consider it is if there were lenses you wanted that you couldn't get for your 7D.
If you are doing it to help your knowledge base as a teacher of photography, then that's another thing altogether and if you have the $$, then go for it.

Thanks Drisley,

You have both cameras?

westernminnguy
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:05
Sober up and see how you feel!

You don't get it...do you??

westernminnguy
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:07
Fantastic camera. Perfect fit in my hand, buttons in all the right places, fantastic dynamic lighting. I could go on and on. I sold it because I couldn't afford the Nikon lenses and they just don't have the same variety. Came down to that for me and I don't regret it.

If you are teaching DSLR, most folks aren't as objective as you.

They think....

Canon is the only one...

Nikon is the only one.

You are practical...

Which is not practical when it comes to cameras.

Tx

absolutic
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:08
I think you should get the 300s and shoot the same things side-by-side with your 7D and 300s and then demonstrate to your students that with either the resulting photographs would probably look the same, provided the same skills are used. That way you will illustrate the point that it does not really make as much difference. Your Nikon students will see that Canon shoots great photos and your Canon students will see that Nikon does great too. Everyone is happy. I understand

DarthVader
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:26
After that get Pentax, Olympus, Kodak, Hasselblad, Phase One, etc so every student understand how to use them.

Permagrin
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:31
nikon user here. I almost didn't weigh in on this because I really thought it was a baited post...but if you seriously want an honest opinion...

I think you should not bother. If you are unhappy with your gear that's one thing, then there's every reason to switch. If not, then no. But I agree with another poster, who answered you early on in your first thread, as a photography teacher, your emphasis should NOT be on gear. It's a bad trend to set for your students. Teach them what to do & when to do it and help them accomplish it with what they've got. Give them a hunger for photography and not the gear.

Too many newbies (and it's promoted by senior members) here get into the gear frenzy and lose photography in the process....I'd hope for better things from a photography class.

Thalagyrt
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:35
nikon user here. I almost didn't weigh in on this because I really thought it was a baited post...but if you seriously want an honest opinion...

I think you should not bother. If you are unhappy with your gear that's one thing, then there's every reason to switch. If not, then no. But I agree with another poster, who answered you early on in your first thread, as a photography teacher, your emphasis should NOT be on gear. It's a bad trend to set for your students. Teach them when to do and help them accomplish it with what they've got. Give them a hunger for photography and not the gear.

Too many newbies (and it's promoted by senior members) here get into the gear frenzy and lose photography in the process....I'd hope for better things from a photography class.

Took the words right out of my mouth...

jdizzle
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 20:57
I'm all about the gear bcoz' I take crappy photos. :);) That's why I'm going to Nikon! :lol:
Anyways, I decided to try Nikon out bcoz' I wanted to see what's it like on the dark side. I too am not brand loyal bcoz' if I know my ability as a photographer then I shouldn't have a problem with shooting any brand. I agree that people do get caught up in the gear and it's not unusual that people will take out a loan to finance a Hassy or Phase One. Forget about the gear and take some pichers! :) :cool:

absolutic
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 21:05
Ok everyone keeps saying, lets not concentrate on gear and just take photos, this is a mantra on this and every other forum, of course the same people at the same time has the same bug as everyone else and keep buying and selling bodies and lenses etc.....

The unique thing about photography is although it is arguably an art form, it also gives those of us who are already gadget-freaks to have an excuse to buy new toys for us. Nothing wrong with it. My wife buys a lot of shoes, even though I think she has way too many shoes. When she brings another 3 pairs of shoes, I ask her, "Didn't you have shoes just like these?" and she is like, "Oh No, not like these." For gadget-freaks it is a never ending game. And people need to acknowledge it, nothing to be ashamed of. Better hobby than doing drugs!!!!

Permagrin
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 21:18
absolutic, if that's how people want to solve their gadget buying that's fine. It's just not the place for it, in a photography class. People go there to learn about photography (why, when, how etc), not be sucked into a gear swapping mentality.

And I do find it sad that people who buy cameras and initially want to "get involved with photography" just getting sucked into the "more gear is better, gear must be changed every new PMA or photokina, etc".

absolutic
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 21:35
Permagrin, I agree with you re: photography class setting. When I took the class many years ago, it was just film :)))

The problem with photo gear I see some mfrs are moving to 6-months cycles: Fuji announced the F72EXR in August 2009, I got it and then announced F80 replacement in January 2010. That is 5 months!!! Crazy

Permagrin
22nd of February 2010 (Mon), 21:36
Permagrin, I agree with you re: photography class setting. When I took the class many years ago, it was just film :)))

The problem with photo gear I see some mfrs are moving to 6-months cycles: Fuji announced the F72EXR in August 2009, I got it and then announced F80 replacement in January 2010. That is 5 months!!! Crazy

oh gosh, no kidding. And we're conditioned to think we can't take good photos with previous models. :lol:

neilwood32
23rd of February 2010 (Tue), 05:46
If you are teaching DSLR, most folks aren't as objective as you.

They think....

Canon is the only one...

Nikon is the only one.

You are practical...

Which is not practical when it comes to cameras.

Tx

I think you should not bother. If you are unhappy with your gear that's one thing, then there's every reason to switch. If not, then no. But I agree with another poster, who answered you early on in your first thread, as a photography teacher, your emphasis should NOT be on gear. It's a bad trend to set for your students. Teach them what to do & when to do it and help them accomplish it with what they've got. Give them a hunger for photography and not the gear.

As a photography teacher, you should be teaching how to capture the moment with whatever they have. Heck teach them film to show its not about the camera, but the person behind the camera.

There are some truely stunning photographs on here taken with 350D's and kit lenses - why not teach them how those were achieved? By hard work, inspiration and learning how to overcome gear limitations. Teach them how to trade of shutter speed/aperture and ISO for the situations where the light isnt nearly adequate rather than "You need this camera to capture sports in this light". I have gotten great shots with a 400D, kit lens and 70-300mm lens because I understood the limitations and worked round them (panning, lighting etc) rather than thinking "There's no point trying to shooting this because I dont have a XXXXX camera like the tutor at my class".

I would print off some shots captured with a P&S (most are very capable) and then some with the 7D (both printed within reasonable limits to avoid print resolution issues). You (and your students) will probably find that in most circumstances, there is very little to separate the two. It is only when you push the limits (Shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, AF speed) that the DSLR takes a lead.

As Permagrin says, I would also be very dissappointed if I were in a class that didnt try to ignore the gear frenzy and actually show the basics (on basic gear). Let them get the gear bug themselves later on if they want once they understand the basics.

westernminnguy
23rd of February 2010 (Tue), 16:52

First off, thanks to all for your posts.

Permagrin, some good points here.

I'm not sure what I'll do.

My students include adults who have shot Nikon and Canon. The Nikon is a bit better, Canon is a bit better thing is already well established among the folks I work with.

I'm not trying to add to that but rather bridge the gap.

There is one other thing. I get a number of Nikon newbies that need help with camera settings. As a Canon user, I can help out Canon newbies right away. With folks who shoot Nikon, I'm less able to help them not knowing my way around the camera.

Interestingly enough, for lots of new DSLR folks, it's not about composition, lighting etc; it's more about "How do I turn this thing on and how do I use the menus etc."

I'd love to be just as adept at using a Nikon as I am at using a Canon...or as inept at both...depending on how you look at it. :D

Thanks again for all the help.

KarinMichelle
23rd of February 2010 (Tue), 19:05
Couldn't you just rent one? The D300s is an awesome camera, I had one, but if you rent one for awhile and jot down some notes, you'll quickly memorize the settings. I remember when I took some classes in 2005 and they used Canon. I happened to have a Canon at the time and they were quick to help. Those with Nikons and other types of cameras struggled a bit. I also used Canon during a job when they were using Nikons. I switched my gear up only to wind up back with Canon (for the lenses). You've got to just stick with what works for you. Both formats are so damn good these days, it's tough to make that call. Believe me, I know!!!

neilwood32
23rd of February 2010 (Tue), 19:18
If the class are as basic that the questions are "how do I work this?", I would suggest that they read the manual thoroughly.

Either that or get them to come here and we can help them.

Karin's suggestion to rent the body is a good one, if you feel you must know the Nikon system.

westernminnguy
24th of February 2010 (Wed), 06:57
Karin, Neil,

Again, good points and something to think about.

Tx